Sex as a Gender in Sex and the City
This paper will be analysing on the theoretical formulations of Susan Faludi and Naomi Wolf. It will study the contemporary modern urban woman, as the postfeminist chick lit woman, who is a singleton in her late twenties and thirties, and who is not only independent, but is the woman who has everything. It gives a brief description of the author Candance Bushnell and a survey to the novel Sex and the City.This paper gives the description of the protagonist Carrie Bradshaw, who is a single and has experienced almost everything like a man. This will also focus on the celebration of girls who encounter each other in a spirit of competitiveness, sexual striving and anxiety. The survey will be focussed on whether chick lit is the adequate reflector of the contemporary modern urban women or does we see chick lit in the paradoxes of time and society. Is it a repression on feminism as Faludi asserts or is it a forward movement of a new power feminism as Naomi Wolf insists. The study will also determine whether chick lit includes a shift from female sexual objectification to empowerment and subjectification.
- G.S. Halapa, “Administration Evolution in Karnataka” forming part of Studies in State Administration, Dharwad, Karnataka University, 1970, p. 145.
- K. R. Basavaraj, “Histroy and Culture of Karnataka”, Chalukya Publication, Dharwad, 1984, P-343.
- Shridhar Telkar, “Kittur Channamma Rani”, Kakati, Belgaum, Sadanand S. Desai, 1992, P-4.
- Quoted in “ Kittura Nadina Ithihasa Mattu Samskruti” (Kannada), Dharwad, Karnatak University, 1976, p. 37
- G. S. Halappa and M. V. Krishna Rao, (Eds), “History of Freedom movement in Karnataka”, Vol-I, Bangalore, Government of Myosr, 1962, P-12.
- Ibid., P-219.
- R. S. Panchamukhi, “History of Karnataka: A Bird’s eye view” in R. S. Hukkerikar (Ed.), Karnataka Darshana, Bombary, 1955, P-7.
- Alur Venkat Rao, “Karnatakatwada Vikasa” (in Kannada) Navajeevana Grantha Bhandar, Dharwad, 1957, P-114.
- Alur Venkat Rao, “Nanna Jeevana Smritigalu”, (in Kannada) Belagavi Rama Chandra Rayaru, Dharwar, 1941, P-184.
- Suryanath U Kamath, “Karnataka State Gazetteer, Government of Karnakata, Part-II, Bangalore, 1982, P-342.
- Channakka Yaligar, “Pracheena Karnatakada Raniyaru” (Kannada), Channaganga Prakashan, Dharwad, 1987, P- 139.Shridhar Telkar, “Kittur Channamma Rani “, Sadanand S. Desai, Kakati, Belgaum, 1992, P- 7 to 8.
Abstract Views: 776
PDF Views: 2