Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Higher Education in India:Emerging Issues and Challenges
It has been globally realized that the education system is one of the significant factors to economic development of a nation. A Developed nation is inevitably an educated nation. So the education system should be transformed as per the need of hour and the changing global scenario. Indian Higher Education System is the third largest in the world, next to united state and China. Since Independence, India as a Developing nation is contentiously progressing the Education field. India Higher Education System has witnessed an appreciable growth in the number of Universities and Colleges since independence. The involvement of Private Sector in Higher Education has been a drastic change for such phenomenal growth. The Right to Education Act has brought a revolutionary change in the Education System of India. Although there have been lot of issues and challenges to Higher Education System of India but equally have lot of opportunities to overcome the challenges and make Higher Education System much better. It needs greater transparency and accountability, the role of Colleges and Universities in the new millennium, and emerging scientific research on how people learn is of utmost important. India need well skilled and highly educated people who can drive our economy forward. According to a study only 25% or Engineering graduates are directly employable, the quality of education delivered in most Institutions are poor. No Indian University has given place in world’s top 200 Universities. This paper examines the scenario of Higher Education in India and also identify emerging issues and challenging in the field of Higher Education in India. At last this paper suggests the possible solution in Higher Education to response the emerging issues and challenges.
Higher Education, Transparency, Accountability, Constitution, Right to Education, Privatization, Globalization.
- Chahal Mukesh “Higher Education in India: Emerging issues and challenges”.
- International Journal of Business Quantitative Economic and Applied management Research (ISSN 2349-5677) Vol-I, Issue -11, April 2015.
- Jahan K.K. and Dr. Christy Selvarni “ Higher Education in India: Issues and Challenges”. Available at http://icehm.org/upload/8262 ED0115098. pdf last visitdd 16/03/2019.
- Kumar B. Mohan, Personal Values, Social Maturity and patriotic attitude, Luxmi book Publication, 2015, Solapur.
- Singh J.D., “Higher Education in India: Issues, challenges and suggestions”. Lamber Academic Publishing, Germany, 2011.
- Thorat Sukhadeo, A blue print for higher education, The Hindu, 11 Aug 2015, New Delhi.
- http://www.qs.com/10-quick facts about India. last vised on 21/03/2019.
- Constitution of India – Articles 21A, 41, 246 and 25
- http://mhrd.gov.in/overview last visted 15/03/2019.
- https://www.ugc.ac.in/# last visted 15/03/2019
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/higher education in India last visted 16/03/2019.
- The times of India, Feb.10,2018 available at https://TimesofIndia.com/city/Agra/Agra university-cancel appointment of eight thousand teachers in self financed colleges.
Abstract Views: 73
PDF Views: 0