Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effects of Age on the Quality of Life of Caregivers of Patients with Mental Illness
In India, family members are preferred as the caregivers for persons with mental illness as there are extremely limited alternative facilities. Patients with mental illness need assistance or supervision in almost all of their activities which often places a major burden on their caregivers, thereby placing the caregiver at a great risk. The present study was done to understand the effects of age on the caregivers of patients with different psychological and psychiatric disorders. The total sample size of the study was 228. The data was collected from Gujarat with the help of Behaviour and Symptom Identification Scale-32. The results imply that there is no homogeneity between the variances with respect to the age groups. Also there is a significant variance of .004 between the life challenges over different age groups. People belonging to 51-60years of age face maximum challenges as opposite to people belonging to 31-40 years of age.
- American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Schizophrenia Spectrum and Psychotic Disorders, Fifth Edition. Arlington, VA, American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
- American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Depressive Disorders, Fifth Edition. Arlington, VA, American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
- American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Fifth Edition. Arlington, VA, American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
- American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Anxiety Disorders, Fifth Edition. Arlington, VA, American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
- Chakrabarti S. Research on family caregiving for mental illness in India and its impact on clinical practice: Are we doing enough to help families?. Indian J Soc Psychiatry 2016;32:19-24.
- World Health Organization. (1992). The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders: Clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines. Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Singh R. Various aspects for research focus among caregivers: Past, present, and future. Indian J Soc Psychiatry 2016;32:40-1.
- Murthy RS. Caregiving and caregivers: Challenges and opportunities in India. Indian J Soc Psychiatry 2016;32:10-8.
- Chadda RK, Patra BN, Gupta N. Recent developments in community mental health: Relevance and relationship with the mental health care bill. Indian J Soc Psychiatry 2015;31:153-60.
- Isaac M. Cross-cultural differences in caregiving: The relevance to community care in India. Indian J Soc Psychiatry 2016;32:25-7.
- Chaturvedi SK, Basavarajappa C, Ahamed A. Mental Health Care Bill, 2013 and United Nations Convention on the rights of persons with disability: Do they go hand in hand?. Indian J Soc Psychiatry 2015;31:107-11.
- Dharitri R, Rao SN, Kalyanasundaram S. Stigma of mental illness: An interventional study to reduce its impact in the community. Indian J Psychiatry 2015;57:165-73.
- Raj EA, Shiri S, Jangam KV. Subjective burden, psychological distress, and perceived social support among caregivers of persons with schizophrenia. Indian J Soc Psychiatry 2016;32:42-9.
- Jiloha RC, Kukreti P. Caregivers as the fulcrum of care for mentally ill in the community: The urban rural divide among caregivers and care giving facilities. Indian J Soc Psychiatry 2016;32:35-9.
- Depression and Other Common Mental Disorders: Global Health Estimates. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2017. Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO.p
- Dare A., Hardy J., Burgess P., Coombs T., Williamson M., Pirkis J. (2008). Carer Outcome Measurement in Mental Health Services: Scoping the Field
- Nirmala V., G. Madavi latha. Assess Burden, Social Support, and Family Wellbeing among Caregivers of Mentally Ill Patients at Institute of Mental Health, Erragadda, Hyderabad, and Andhra Pradesh. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 1(2): April-June 2011; Page 64-67.
- Leena Sharma. A Descriptive Co-relational study on Burden, Social Support and Family Wellbeing among Caregivers of Mentally Ill Patients in Mansik Aarogayashala , Gwalior (M.P.). Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(2): 228-230.
- Josephine Gracia Britto, Ramachandra. Relapse Prevention among Caregivers of Patients with Schizophrenia. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 4(1): Jan.-March 2014; Page 140-144.
- N. Balasubramanian, Asha P Shetty, T. S. Sathyanaraya Rao. An Evaluative Study of Video Assisted Teaching Module (VATM) on Homecare of Schizophrenic Patients developed for Primary Caregivers at Mangaluru. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(1): 53-60.
- Nimmy Andrews, Bivin J B. Development of Home Management Checklist-Schizophrenia (HMCL-S) for Family Caregivers of Persons Diagnosed With Schizophrenia. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(2): 235-238.
- Bincy Kurian, Preeti Mathew, Bivin JB. Impact of Having a Family Member with Major Mental Illness: Do there exists Differences perceived among Spouse- and non-spouse family members?. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research.2017; 7(2): 163-167.
- Sheena Bhatia, Geeta Bhardwaj. Effectiveness of Planned Teaching Programme on knowledge Regarding Care of Mentally Retarded Children Among Care Givers. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2018; 8(1): 22-24.
- Manju. T (Sr), Merlin Mary Augustine, Mini T. K, Preethy Jose (Sr) Princy Mathew (Sr), Chanu Bhattacharya,. Rajeeve Mathew. Knowledge on early warning Signs and home care Management of mental Illness among care givers of People with Mental Illness in A Selected Hospital at Mangalore, Karnataka. Asian J. Nursing Education and Research. 2018; 8(3):389-394.
- Diana Wilson. Assessment of the Levels of Anxiety and Depression among Caregivers of the Clients with Psychotic Disorders. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2017; 5(2):137-142.
- LijiJiju Chacko, Alka Pawar, Suresh, David, Sushant, Darshan, Yojana, Shweta, Ashwini. Assessment of Burden among Caregivers of Mentally Ill Patients in Psychiatric Hospital. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2018; 6(4):371-373.
Abstract Views: 142
PDF Views: 0