Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Perceptual Study of Employee Engagement Practices in IT Sector
Information Technology (IT) sector has been heralded as one of the most dynamic sectors of the globe and is seen as a key driver for economic growth world over. Engaged employees are associated with higher job satisfaction and performance, better retention leading to lower operating costs, higher employee satisfaction and higher profitability. IT sector is a large employer and with people being their strength, need to keep employee motivated and engaged is high. The current study tries to comprehend the employee perception towards engagement strategies in TCS, WIPRO AND INFOSYS in addition to understanding the relationship between demographics and engagement levels of the organization. A sample of 414 employees were selected through convenience sampling and data was collected with the help of a questionnaire designed on the Likert 4 point scale with the objective to identify the various factors that affect employee engagement within the IT Sector. Consequently, the data was analyzed through EFA, T-Test and ANOVA.The major findings brought forth that there is a significant difference in perceptionamong TCS, WIPRO and INFOSYS employees regarding employee engagement, with employees from TCS being more engaged followed by the employees from Infosys rated second and employees of WIPRO rating third in their perception towards engagement strategies adopted by their respective employers.
Employees Engagement, Information Technology, Organization.
- • Bhatla, N. (2011). “To study the Employee Engagement practices and its effect on employee Performance with special reference to ICICI and HDFC Bank in Lucknow”. IJSER, 2(8)
- • Beer, Michael. Managing human assets. Simon and Schuster, 1984.
- • Csikszenthihalyi, M. (1990), The Psychology of Optimal Experience, Harper and Row, Publishers, New York.
- • Gallup Organization, 2005. Employee Engagement: The Engagement side of the Human Sigma Equation. Retrieved from www.gallup.com.
- • Hooper, N., 2006. Companies where people want to work. Weekend Australian Financial Review., 17-19.
- • Harter, James K., Frank L. Schmidt, and Theodore L. Hayes.(2002) "Business-unit-level relationship between employee satisfaction, employee engagement, and business outcomes: a meta-analysis.".. Journal of . Applied Psychology., 87: 268-279.
- • Kahn, W.A., 1990. Psychological conditions of personal engagement and disengagement at work. Academy Management. Journal., 33: 692-724.
- • Kular,S.,Gatenby,M.,Rees,C.,Soane,E.,andTruss,K.(2008). Employee Engagement :A Literature Review. Kingston University, Kingston Business School. Availableat:http://eprints.kingston.ac.uk/4192/1/19wempen.pdf
- • Kumar, J.A. (2012). Employee Engagement, Saaransh , RKG Journal of Management, 3(2)
- • Macey, William H., and Benjamin Schneider. "The meaning of employee engagement." Industrial and organizational Psychology 1.1 (2008): 3-30.
- • Maslach, C. Schaufelli, W.B. and Leiter, M.P. (2001) ‘Job burnout’, Annual Review of Psychology, Vol 52, pp397-422.
- • May, D.R. Gilson, R.L. and Harter, L.M. (2004) ‘The psychological conditions of meaningfulness, safety and availability and the engagement of the human spirit at work’, Journal of Occupational and Organisational Psychology, Vol 77, pp11-37
- • Robinson, I. (2006). Human Resource Management in Organisations. London, CIPD.
- • Saks, A.M., 2006. Antecedents and consequences of employee engagement. Journal of. Managerial Psychology., 21: 600- 619.
- • Susi, S. and Jawaharrani, K. (2011). Work-Life Balance: The key driver of employee engagement. Asian Journal of management Research, 2(1)
- • Truss, Katie, et al. "Job design and employee engagement." (2014).
- • Aswathappa,Human Resource Management, Tata McGraw-Hill Education(2017).
- • Haudan. J(2008) The Art of Engagement: Bridging the Gap Between People and Possibilities, McGraw-Hill Education.
- • Kothari C.R, Research Methodology: Methods and Techniques, New Age (2013).
- • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employee_engagement
- • http://engageforsuccess.org/what-is-employee-engagement
- • https://doublethedonation.com/blog/2015/09/the-importance-of-increasing-employee-engagement-using-corporate-giving-programs/
- • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_technology_in_India
- • http://www.ibef.org/industry/information-technology-india.aspx
- • http://www.management.ase.ro/reveconomia/2013-2/1.pdf
- • http://www.employement-studies.co.uk/system/files/resources/files/469.pdf http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/215465/dh_129661.pdf
Abstract Views: 73
PDF Views: 0