Open Access Subscription Access
On The Variation of Hardness of Duplex Stainless Steel Clad Layer Deposited By Flux-Cored-Cored Arc Welding
By cladding, one refers deposition of a relatively thick metal layer onto a cheap grade base material to protect it against severe abrasive / erosive /corrosive working condition. Enhancing hardness of a surface through cladding is given the name hardfacing. In this investigation, FCAW (Flux-Cored Arc Welding) cladding is performed using fluxed-core duplex stainless steel electrode onto low alloy steel substrate using 100% CO2 as the shielding gas. Different values of welding current and welding voltage were selected for the experiment in such a way that 3 sets of constant heat input were maintained. Welding torch travel speed was kept constant throughout the experiment. Hardness test results revealed much improved hardness of the clad part compared to that of the base material. Only slight change in hardness can be noticed under varying weld current when heat input remains the same.
Cladding, Hardfacing, FCAW, Heat Input, Process Parameters, Hardness.
- Nadkarni, S.V., Modern Arc Welding Technology, Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd, India, 1988.
- Saha, M. K. and Das, S., A Review on Different Cladding Techniques Employed to Resist Corrosion, Journal of the Association of Engineers, India, Vol. 86, pp. 51-64, 2016.
- Ibrahim, B.T., Yawas, D.S. and Aku, S. Y., Effects of Gas Metal Arc Welding Techniques on the Mechanical Properties of Duplex Stainless Steel, Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, Vol. 1, pp. 222-230, 2013.
- Mondal, A., Saha, M.K. and Hazra, R., Observation of Bead-on-plate Welds with Duplex Stainless Steel Wire Electrode in GMAW, Proceedings of the National Conference on RASEM, Santiniketan, West Bengal, India, 2016.
- Verma, A. K., Biswas, B. C., Roy, P., De, S., Saren, S. and Das, S., On The Effectiveness of Duplex Stainless Steel Cladding Deposited by Gas Metal Arc Welding, e-Proceedings of the International Conference (IIWIC 2014), 67th Annual Assembly of the International Institute of Welding, Seoul, Korea, 2014.
- Verma, A. K., Biswas, B. C., Roy, P., De, S., Saren, S. and Das, S., Exploring Quality of Austenitic Stainless Steel Clad Layer Obtained by Metal Active Gas Welding, Indian Science Cruiser, Vol.27, No.4, pp.24-29, 2013.
- Chakraborty, B., Das, H., Das, S. and Pal, T.K., Effect of Process Parameters on Clad Quality of Duplex Stainless Steel Using GMAW Process, Transaction of the Indian Institute of Metals, Vol.66, No. 3, pp.221-230, 2013.
- Mondal, A., Saha, M. K., Hazra, R. and Das, S., Influence of Heat Input on Weld Bead Geometry Using Duplex Stainless Steel Wire Electrode on Low Alloy Steel Specimens, Cogent Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 1143598/1-14, 2015.
- Palani, P. K. and Murugan, N., Development of Mathematical Models for Prediction of Weld bead Geometry in Cladding by Flux Cored Arc Welding, International Journal Advance Manufacturing Technology, Vol.30, pp.669676, 2006.
- Sathishkumar, S., Suresh, A.V., Krishna, M., Banukiran, V.T. and Nagamadhu, M., Development & Characterization of an Electrode Deposition Procedure for Crack Free Hardfacing of Low Carbon Steel, International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 95-106, 2012.
- Khara, B., Mandal, N.D., Sarkar, A., Sarkar, M., Chakrabarti, B. and Das, S., Weld Cladding With Austenitic Stainless Steel for Imparting Corrosion Resistance, Indian Welding Journal, Vol.49, No. 1, pp. 75-81, 2016.
- Buchanan, V.E., Shipway, P.H. and McCartney, D.G., Microstructure and Abrasive Wear Behaviour of Shielded Arc Welding Hardfacings Used in the Sugarcane Industry, Wear,Vol.263, pp. 99110, 2007.
- Gualco, A.H., Svoboda, G., Surian, E.S. and de Vedia, L.A., Effect of Welding Procedure on Wear Behavior of Modified Martensitic Tool Steel Hardfacing Deposit, Materials & Design, Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 4165-4173, 2010.
- Charles, J., Duplex Stainless Steels: A Review, Proceedings of the Conference on Duplex Stainless Steel 2007,Grado, Italy, http://www.aperam.com/uploads/ stainlesseurope/ TechnicalPublications/ Duplex_Maastricht_EN-22p-7064Ko.pdf accessed on 18.05.17.
Abstract Views: 62
PDF Views: 1