Open Access Subscription Access
Intention of Hospitality Students towards Entrepreneurial Education
Entrepreneurs have made a huge contribution on the economic and social lives of people in India. The Government plays a critical role in nurturing innovative ideas and encourages entrepreneurship in the skill based sectors. The present study aims to determine whether considering entrepreneurship as a subject in the course curriculum will help the students to decide entrepreneurship as their career in case they are pursuing hotel administration or hospitality management course. McIntyre and Roche (1999) define “entrepreneurship education as the process of passing the necessary skills and concepts to individuals to identify new business opportunities and to reach high level of self-confidence to benefit from such opportunities”. Thus, entrepreneur education plays a crucial and important role in providing the necessary skills for an entrepreneur to carry out their daily business requirements and to handle obstacles. A total of 245 students participated in the survey from ten institutions offering hospitality program located in Delhi/NCR, India. Findings reveal that students of this course are positively inclined towards entrepreneurship as a part of curriculum for hotel and hospitality sector.
Entrepreneurial Education, Self Confidence, Hospitality Industry, Students’ Intention.
- Ahmad, S.Z. (2015), Entrepreneurship in the small and medium-sized hotel sector. Current Issues in Tourism,18(40). doi:10.1080/13683500.2014.934211
- Airey, D. (2005), Growth and development. In D. Airey & J. Tribe (Eds.), An international handbook of tourism education, 13–24. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier.
- Altinay, L., Madanoglu, M., Daniele, & R. Lashley, C. (2012), The influence of family tradition and psychological traits on entrepreneurial intention. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 31 (2). 489-499.
- Ambad, S.N.A. & Ag Damit, D. H. D. (2016), Determinants of Entrepreneurial Intention among undergraduate Students in Malaysia. Procedia Economics and Finance,3. 108114. doi: 10.1016/S2212-5671(16)30100-9
- Andringa, S., Paulson, J. & Pernecky, T. (2016), Hospitality Entrepreneurship: A link in the career chain. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 28 (4), 1-18.
- Bacq, S., & Alt, E. (2018), Feeling capable and valued: A prosocial perspective on the link between empathy and social entrepreneurial intentions. Journal of Business Venturing, 33(3). 333–350.
- Ball, S. (2005), The importance of entrepreneurship to hospitality, leisure, sport and tourism. Retrieved from http://wwwnew2.heacademy.ac.uk/assets/hlst/documents/projects/Entrepreneurship/ball.pdf
- Barrie, S.C. (2007), A conceptual framework for the teaching and learning of generic graduate attributes. Studies in Higher Education, 32 ( 4). 439-458.
- Denanyoh, R., Adjei, K., & Nyemekye, G.E. (2015), Factors That Impact on Entrepreneurial Intention of Tertiary Students in Ghana. International Journal of Business and Social Research, 5 (3). 19-29.
- Drucker, P. (1985), Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Heinemann, London
- Dzisi, S. and Otsyina, F. A. (2014), Exploring Social Entrepreneurship in the Hospitality Industry. International Journal of Innovative Research & Development, Vol. 3 (6). 233241.
- Elsaid, O.A. & Fuentes, M. D. M. (2019), Creative thinking and Entrepreneurial Attitudes Among Tourism & Hospitality Students: The Moderating Role of the Environment. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education, 31 (1). 23-33.
- Gibb, A.A. (2007), Entrepreneurship: unique solutions for unique environments. Is it possible to achieve this with the existing paradigm? International Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, 5. 93-142.
- Hair, Joseph F., et al. Multivariate data analysis. Vol. 5. No. 3. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice hall, 1998
- Hannan, M. and Freeman, J. (1977), 'The population ecology of organizations’. American Journal of Sociology, 82(5). 929-64.
- Karimi, S., Biemans, H.J.A., Lans, T., Chizari, M., Mulder, M. & Mahdei, K.N. (2013), Understanding role models and gender influences on entrepreneurial intentions among college students. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 93. 204-214.
- Katz, A. J. (2003), The Chronology and Intellectual Trajectory of American Entrepreneurship Education. Journal of Business venturing,18(2). 283-306.
- Kirby, D. (2006), Entrepreneurship Education: can business schools meet the challenge? Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham.
- Kirkwood, J. (2007), Igniting the entrepreneurial spirit: is the role parents play gendered? International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research , 13(1). 39-59.
- Kuratko D.F. and Hodgetts, R.M. (2007), Entrepreneurship; Theory, Process, Practice (7th Ed) Natorp Boulevard Mason; Thomson South Western.
- Li, L. (2008), A review of entrepreneurship research published in the hospitality and tourism management journals. Tourism Management, 29(5). 1013–1022.
- Li, L. and Wu, D. (2019), Entrepreneurial education and students' entrepreneurial intention: does team cooperation matter? Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 9 (35). 1-13.
- Li, Y. Q. & Liu, C. H. (2016), How to establish a creative atmosphere in tourism and hospitality education in the context of China. Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sports and Tourism Education, 18. 9-20.
- Maes, J., Leroy, H., & Sels, L. (2014), Gender differences in entrepreneurial intentions: A TPB multi-group analysis at factor and indicator level. European Management Journal 32 (5), 784-794.
- McIntyre, J., & Roche, M. (1999), University education for entrepreneurs in the United States: A critical and retrospective analysis of trends in the 1990s. Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Mueller, S.L., & Thomas, A.S. (2000), Culture and entrepreneurial potential: A nine country study of locus of control and innovativeness. Journal of Business Venturing, 16(1). 5175.
- Mumtaz, B.A.K, Munirah, S., & Halimahton, K. (2012), The Relationship between educational support and entrepreneurial intentions in Malaysian Higher Learning Institution. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 69( 24). 2164-2173.
- Ndofirepi, T. M. (2020), Relationship Between Entrepreneurship Education and Entrepreneurial Goal Intentions: Psychological traits as mediators. Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 9 (2).1-20.
- Peterman, N.E. & Kennedy, J. (2003), Enterprise education: Influencing students’ perceptions of entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 28(2). 129-144.
- Postigo, S., D. Iacobucci, & Tamborini, M.F. (2006), Undergraduates Students as a Source of Potential Entrepreneurs: A Comparative Study between Italy and Argentina. Fayole A. and Kland(ed.) International entrepreneurship education: Issues and Newness. Publisher: Edward Elgar Publishing
- Shepherd, D. A. (2004), Educating entrepreneurship student about emotion and learning from failure. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 30(3). 274-287.
- Shinner, R. S., Giacomin, O. and Janssen, F. (2012), Entrepreneurial perceptions and intentions: The role of gender and culture. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 36(3), 465-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/ j.1540-6520.2012.00509.x
- Siu, W. and Lo, E. S. (2013), Cultural contingency in the cognitive model of entrepreneurial intention. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 37(2).147-73.
- Thompson, E. R. (2009), Individual entrepreneurial intent: Construct clarification and development of an internationally reliable metric. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33(3). 669-694.
- Turker, D., & Selcuk, S.S. (2009), Which factors affect entrepreneurial intention of university students? Journal of European Industrial Training, 33(2). 142 – 159.
- Urbano, D., & Aparicio, S. (2015), Entrepreneurship capital types and economic growth: International evidence. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. DOI: 10.1016/j.techfore.2015.02.018
- Yildirim, N., Cakir, O. and Askun, O. B. (2016), Ready to Dare? A case study on the entrepreneurial intentions of business and engineering students in Turkey. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 277-288.
- Zapkau, F.B., Schwens, C., Steinmetz, H., & Kabst, R. (2015), Disentangling the effect of prior entrepreneurial exposure on entrepreneurial Intention. Journal of Business Research, 68(3). 639-653.
- Zhang, S. N., Li, Y. Q., Liu, C. H., & Ruan, W. Q.(2019), Critical factors in the identification of word-of-mouth enhanced with travel apps: The moderating roles of confucian culture and the switching cost view. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 5(24). 422–442.
- Zhang, S.N., Li, Y.Q. Liu, C.H. & Ruan, W.Q. (2020), Critical factors identification and prediction of tourism and hospitality students' entrepreneurial intention.Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education, 26. 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhlste.2019.100234
Abstract Views: 74
PDF Views: 14