Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Servant Leadership in India:A Journey from Past to Present
"A Leader is the one who knows the way, show the way and goes the way; they are the primary of organizations across the various sectors" (quote from John Maxwell: https://www.toolshero.com/toolsheroes/john-c-maxwell/). A leader is responsible for guiding his/her followers to achieve the desired goal, make them committed towards objectives of the organization and take care of their personal, professional and emotional efficiency. Some of the aptly used leadership styles followed in organizations are democratic, transformational, transactional, charismatic etc. Servant Leadership style is still rare in practice and unexplored in research.The objective of this research paper is to analyze the concept of servant leadership as developed by Greenleafin (1970) and trace roots of the concept of the servant leadership advocated by Indian spiritual guru none other than Swami Vivekanada and the scripture like Bhagavad Gita. The paper intents to review the existing literature on servant leadership. Researchers will also makean attempt to analyze lessons from Servant Leaders of India in the corporate world viz. Narayana Murthy, Azim Premji, Ratan Tata and Dhirubhai Ambani.
Servant Leadership, Bhagavad Gita, Servant Leadership in India.
- Ajayi, S. (2018). Effect of Stress on Employee Performance and Job Satisfaction: A Case Study of Nigerian Banking Industry.
- Anzalone, F. M. (2007). Servant leadership: A new model for law library leaders. Law Libr. J., 99, 793.
- Barnabas, A., Anbarasu, J., & Clifford, P. (2010). The need for awareness of servant leadership in business schools. Academic Leadership, 8(2), 37-42.
- Bekker, C. J. (2010). Prophet and servant: Locating Robert K. Greenleaf’s counter-spirituality of servant leadership. The Journal of Virtues & Leadership, 1(1), 3-14.
- Bubonya, M., Cobb-Clark, D. A., & Wooden, M. (2017). Mental health and productivity at work: Does what you do matter?. Labour Economics, 46, 150-165.
- Chaudhuri, A. (2016). Vivekananda: A Born Leader: The Attributes and Thoughts of an Extraordinary Leader-Manager, A Perfect Embodiment of the Servant-Leadership Concept. Advaita Ashrama (A publication branch of Ramakrishna Math, Belur Math).
- Claar, V., Jackson, L., & TenHaken, V. (2016). Are Servant Leaders Born or Made?.
- Colligan, T. W., & Higgins, E. M. (2006). Workplace stress: Etiology and consequences. Journal of workplace behavioral health, 21(2),89-97.
- Coetzer, M. F., Bussin, M. H., & Geldenhuys, M. (2017). Servant leadership and work-related well-being in a construction company. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology, 43(1), 1-10.
- Eslami, A., & Arshadi, N. (2016). Effect of organizational competitive climate on organizational prosocial behavior: Workplace envy as a mediator. Age, 24(30), 49.
- Freeman, G. T. (2011). Spirituality and servant leadership: A conceptual model and research proposal. Emerging Leadership Journeys, 4(1), 120-140.
- Giorgiov, A. (2010). The Servant-Leadership Concepts of Robert K. Greenleaf
- Goh, S. K., & Low, B. Z. J. (2013). The influence of servant leadership towards organizational commitment: The mediating role of trust in leaders. International Journal of Business and Management, 9(1), 17.
- Gujral, R. (2013) https://www.businesstoday.in/ management/leadership/rajiv-gujral-onratantata-amazing-ability-to-remembernames/ story/191888.html retrieved on 19 September 2018 https://asiahouse.org/asia-house-asian-businessleadersaward-presented-mr-azim-premji/ retrieved on 16 September 2018
- Kaipa, P., Radjou, N. (2013). http://fetzer.org/blog/ infosys-murthy-wise-loving-leader retrieved on 15 September 2018
- Khadelwal, T (2016) https://www.shethepeople.tv/ news/5-leadership-lessons-from-ratan-tata retrieve on 19 September 2018
- Kothari, Y. (2016) https://in.thehackerstreet.com/entrepreneurship-lessons-dhirubhai/ retrieved on 21 September 2018
- Kumar, V. (2016). Workplace Stress among the Employee in Insurance sector: A study. International Journal for Innovative Research in Multidisciplinary Field, 122-127.
- Latreille, P. L., & Sloane, P. J. (2011). Job Anxiety, Work-Related Psychological Illness and Workplace Performance(No. 5809). Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Maula-Bakhsh, R., & Raziq, A. (2016). Development of Conceptual Link between Servant Leadership & Employee Subjective Well-being. Journal of Applied and Emerging Sciences, 4(2), pp157-168.
- Nathwani, P. (2011) http://deshgujarat.com/2011/07/06/dhirubhai-ambani-lived-aparallellife-of-silent-philanthropist/ retrieve on 21 September 2018
- Rarick, C. A. (2007). Expanding managerial consciousness: Leadership advice from the Bhagavad Gita.
- Rezaei, M., Salehi, S., Shafiei, M., & Sabet, S. (2012). Servant leadership and organizational trust: The mediating effect of the leader trust and organizational communication. EMAJ: Emerging Markets Journal, 2(1), 70-78.
- Sendjaya, S., & Pekerti, A. (2010). Servant leadership as antecedent of trust in organizations. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 31(7), 643-663.
- Sharma, A. (1948). BHAGVAD GITA.
- Sharma, A. K., & Talwar, B. (2004). Business excellence enshrined in Vedic (Hindu) philosophy. Singapore Management Review, 26(1), 1.
- Schneider, S., Schmitt, H., Zoller, S., & Schiltenwolf, M. (2005). Workplace stress, lifestyle and social factors as correlates of back pain: a representative study of the German working population. International archives of occupational and environmental health, 78(4), 253-269.
- Spears, L. C. (2010). Character and servant leadership: Ten characteristics of effective, caring leaders. The Journal of Virtues & Leadership, 1(1), 25-30
- Steffy, B. D., & Jones, J. W. (1988). Workplace stress and indicators of coronary-disease risk. Academy of Management Journal, 31(3), 686-698.
- Varughese, S (2004). https://www.lifepositive.com/ servant-leadership-stooping-to-conquer/ retrieved on 15 September 2018
Abstract Views: 20
PDF Views: 3