Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Empowerment of Women through MGNREGA in Nadia District of West Bengal
The basic objective of this study is to explain the impact of MGNREGA on women empowerment in the study area. The present study is based on primary data collected from 200 women of Santipur block in Nadia district, West Bengal during 2017-18. For measuring women empowerment, a Cumulative Empowerment Index (CEI) has been constructed. Three-point scale has been used to calculate of each indicator. In this study, possible score value of CEI is varied from 0–16where 0 indicates the lowest level of economic empowerment and 16indicatesthe highest level of economic empowerment. The analysis of the study shows that the level of women empowerment in the study area was not satisfactory because the majority (95.2%) of the studied women belonged to low to medium level of economic empowerment and only 5% of them belonged to a high empowerment level. Thus, it can be concluded that MGNREGA has affected women empowerment but it is not as high as expect from the scheme
MGNREGA, Women Empowerment, Underemployment, Poverty, Job Card.
- Arora, V., Kulshreshtha, L. R. & Upadhyay, V. (2013). Mahatma Gandhi national rural employment guarantee scheme: A unique scheme for Indian rural women. International Journal of Economic Practices and Theories, 3(2), 14-18.
- Braidotti., R., Charkiewics, E., Haüsler, S. &Wierenga, S. (1994). Women the environment and sustainable development: Towards a theoretical synthesis. Zed Books, London.
- Batliwala, S. (1994).The meaning of women’s empowerment: new concepts from Action. In G. Sen, A. Germain and L.C. Chen (eds.), Population Policies Reconsidered: Health, Empowerment and Rights, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, pp. 127-38.
- Census of India (2011). Directorate of Census Operations, Government of India. Retrieved from http://www.censusindia.gov.in
- Dasarathi, B. (2006). Empowerment of Indian women: A challenge of 21st Century. Orissa Review, January, 60-63.
- Kabeer, N. (2001). Conflict over Credit: Re-evaluating the empowerment potential of loans to women in rural Bangladesh. World Development, 29(1), 63-84.
- Lavanya V.L.& Mahim, S. (2013). Empowerment of rural women through MGNREGA with special references to Palakkad. Zenith International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 3(7),1-13.
- Mohammod, T.K. (2010). Socio cultural determinants of women’s empowerment in Punjab, Pakistan. A PhD thesis submitted to the Facility of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan. Retrieved from https://prr.hec.gov.pk/jspui/bitstream/123456789/633/1/607S
- Pillai, J.K. (1995). Women and empowerment. Gyan Publishing House: New Delhi.
- Reserve Bank of India. (2013). Annual Report, Government of India.
- Parveen, S. & Leonhäuser, I-U (2004). Empowerment of rural women in Bangladesh: A household level analysis. Paper Presented in Conference on Rural Poverty Reduction through Research for Development and Transformation, Deutscher Tropentag, Berlin, 57 October.
- Parveen, S. & Chaudhury, M. S. R. (2009). Micro-credit intervention and effects on empowerment of rural women: The BRAC experience. Bangladesh Research Publications Journal, 2(3): 641-647.
- Roy, S. & Singh, B. (2010). Impact of NREGA on empowerment of the beneficiaries in West Bengal, Indian Research Journal of Extension Education, 10(2), 21-23.
- Shihabudheen, N. (2013). Potential of MGNREGA in empowering rural women: Some preliminary evidence based on a field study in Ernakulam district in Kerala, India. International Journal of Innovative Research& Development, 2(8), 272-278.
- Sughosh India Foundation (2010). Sughosh's meaning of empowerment. Retrieved from http://sughosh.in/Empowerment.html
- Saharia, R.P. (2014). MGNREGA: Empowerment of women through employment generation - a case study of Chhattisgarh. International Journal of Reviews and Research in Social Sciences, 2(2),99-104.
- Vanitha S.M. & Srikantha, M.P. S. (2011). An economic analysis of MGNREG programme in Mysore district of Karnataka. Agricultural Economics Research Review, 24,415-422.
- Xavier, G. & Mari, G. (2014). Impact of MGNREGA on women empowerment with special reference to Kalakkanmoi Panchayat in Sivgangai district, Tamil Nadu. SSRG International Journal of Economics and Management Studies, 1(1),1-5.
Abstract Views: 17
PDF Views: 0