Open Access Subscription Access
Study of Respiratory Symptoms in Farmers Admitted in Tertiary Health Care Institute
Background: Farmers have a high prevalence of respiratory symptoms and airway obstruction. Respiratory problems occurs on exposure to various types of farming which are both immunologic and non-immunologic in nature. Aims and Objectives: To study the respiratory symptoms and their association with type of farming in farmers admitted to respiratory medicine ward in a tertiary health care institute. Results: Breathlessness (89.1 %) was the most common clinical feature amongst population. Exposure to organic and inorganic dust, hays, biomass fuel and pesticide were the most common risk factors associated with farming. Nonsmoker farmers also had a more respiratory symptom. Conclusion: Respiratory symptoms are the most common among farmers though smoking is a confounding factor, but it was observed that nonsmoker farmers also developed symptoms.
Farming, Non-Smoker Farmer, Respiratory Symptoms.
- Husman K, Koskenvuo M, Kaprio J, Terho EO, Vohlonen I. Role of environment in the development of chronic bronchitis, Eur J Respir Dis. 1987; 71(suppl 152):57−63.
- Saia B, Mastrangelo G, Marcer G, Reggio O. Prevalence and risk factors of chronic respiratory disease in a farming population, Med Lav. 1984; 75:101−09.
- Dosman JA, Graham BL, Hall D, van Loon P, Bhasin P, Froh F. Respiratory symptoms and pulmonary function in farmers, J Occup Med. 1987; 29:39−43.
- Matsons C, Swanson MC, Reed CE, Yunginger J W, IgE and IgG mediated immune mechanisms don’t mediate occupation related respiratory or systemic symptoms in hog farmers, J Allergy Clin Immunology. 1983; 72:299−304. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-6749(83)90035-0.
- Dopico GA, Reddan W, Flaherty D, et al., Respiratory abnormalities among grain handlers, Am Rev Rspir Dis.1977; 115:915−27.
- Schenker MB, Christiani D, Cormier Y, et al. Respiratory health hazards in agriculture, Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998; 158:S1−76 [PubMed]. https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.158.supplement_1.rccm1585s1.
- Neice Müller Xavier Faria ILuiz Augusto Facchini II Anaclaudia Gastal Fassa II Elaine Tomasi III, Farm work, dust exposure and respiratory symptoms among farmers, Rev Saúde Pública. 2006; 40(5):1−9.
- Behera D, Pal D, Gupta D. Respiratory symptoms among farmers in the vicinity of a north Indian city, Lung India. 2005; 22:45−9
Abstract Views: 18
PDF Views: 0