Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Production and Marketing Problems of Apple Fruit Growers in Jammu and Kashmir:A Critical Study
This study was conducted in Baramulla and Shopian districts of Jammu And Kashmir State. A total number of 224 apple growers were selected through random sampling from sixteen villages. The structured schedule was developed keeping in view the objectives and variables of the study. There are various problems which the growers are facing during the production and marketing of apple. Findings revealed that out of total 224 respondents, 49.10 respondents faced medium level of problems in production and marketing of apple, whereas 26.78 per cent faced the high level of problems and only 24.10 per cent of respondents faced low level of problems. By analysing the data through statistical tests the results revealed that z value was found insignificant in production problems indicating that these problems are the same for both the small and large growers and significant in marketing problems. These problems may be considered as the red signals for the orchardists in particular and the state government in general. Any more neglect in respect solution of these problems may result in greater poverty among the people of the Jammu and Kashmir. To give a serious thought over the problems which the apple growers have usually been facing are summarized and briefly discussed in this paper.
Apple, Production, Marketing, Jammu and Kashmir.
- Ali, J., Kachroo, J., Bhat, D. J., & Bhat, A. (2018). Analysis of prices and arrivals of apple fruit in Narwal market of Jammu. Economic Affairs, 63(1), 107-111.
- Amin, I. U., & Jan, A. (2017). Financing the apple industry of Jammu and Kashmir: A review of literature. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 19(4), 17-22.
- Aujhla, K. M., Shah, N. A., & Ishaq, M. (2011). Post-harvest losses and marketing of grapes in Pakistan. Sarhad Journal of Agriculture, 27(11).
- Bhat, A., Kachroo, J., Sharma, M., & Peshin, R. (2015). Constraints in production and marketing of Citrus fruit in Jammu region of J&K State. Economic Affairs, 60(2), 331-337.
- Dar, A., & Bhat, M. (2018). Marketing challenges of horticulture sector in Jammu and Kashmir: A case study of district Pulwama. National Journal of Multidisplinary Research and Development, 3(1), 1144-1146.
- Dar, A., & Singh, V. K. (2017). A study on production and productivity of dry fruits in Jammu and Kashmir. International Journal of Research, 4(17), 3288-3292.
- Darzi, M. I. (2016). Horticulture sector towards economic development of Jammu and Kashmir. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development, 3(4), 238-240.
- Dogra, D. S., Guleria, C., Guleria, A., & Vaidya, M. K. (2017). Market analysis and problem faced by the wild pomegranate growers in Himachal Pradesh, India. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 6(7), 1551-1558.
- Economic Survey. (2016-17). Economic Survey. Srinagar: Directorate of Economics & Statistics J&K.
- Gupta, V., Singh, D., Mishra, A. K., Singh, B. P., Kumar, R., & Pandey, R. K. (2017). A study on constraints faced by cauliflower growers in cauliflower cultivation in Western Uttar Pradesh, India. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 6(7), 2646-2651.
- Hemambara, H. S., & Yogesh, M. S. (2014). Production and marketing problems of papaya growers in North Karnataka. IOSR Journal of Business and Management (IOSRJBM), 16(7).
- Kireeti, K., & Sharama, L. R., (2017). An inquiry into the problems of apple production and marketing in the perspectives of apple growers in Shimla District of Himachal Pradesh. International Journal of Agricultural Science and Research, 7(4), 7-14.
- Kireeti, K., Guleria, C., Mukherjee, D. N., & L. R. Sharma. (2014). A study of the cost of production of apples in Shimla district of Himachal Pradesh. Society for Scientific Developement in Agriculture and Technology, (pp. 866-870). Himachal Pradesh.
- Kashyap, R., & Guleria, A. (2015). Socio-economic and marketing analysis of apple growers in Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh. Journal of Hill agriculture, 6(2), 202-206.
- Khair, S. M., Shahwani, M. N., & Shah, S. (2006). Production constraints of apple in Balochistan. Journal of Applied and Emerging Sciences, 1(3), 167-173.
- Malik, Z. (2013). Assessment of apple production and marketing problems in Kashmir valley. Journal of Economics and Social Development, IX(1), 152-156.
- Malik, Z., & Choure, T. (2014). Economics of apple cultivation “with special reference to South Kashmir-India”. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, 5(9), 125-129.
- Rajan, A. A. (2014). A Study of Production and Marketing Problems of Mango. Tamil Nadu: Published Thesis in department of commerce Manonmaniam Sundaranar University Tirunelveli – 627 012, Tamil Nadu.
- Rasouliaza, S., & Fealy, S. (2011). Identifying the problems of apple production from view point of apple growers in West Azerbaijan province, Iran. World Applied Sciences Journal, 15(7), 915-920.
- Rather, A. A. (2015). Marketing problems and their impact on orchid farmers of Kashmir (J&K). American Research Thoughts, 1(6), 1212-1228.
- Sain, V., Laucha, V. P., Singh, V. K., Mehla, M. S., & Jyoti, V. (2013). Constraints faced by gauva growers in production and marketing of districts of Haryana State. IOSR Journal of Agriculture and veterinary Science, 5(5), 17-20.
- Shah, I. A. (2018). Production and export of fresh and dry fruits in Jammu and Kashmir. International Journal of Marketing and Business communication, 7(3), 1-9.
- Vadivelu, A., & Kiran, B. (2013). Problems and prospects of agricultural marketing in India: An overview. International Journal of Agricultural and Food Science, 3(3), 108-118.
- Yashodhara, B., Narasimha, N., & Gopala, Y. M. (2012). Marketing knowledge and problems faced by onion growers of Chitradurga district of Karnataka. Research Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 3(6), 1192-1194.
Abstract Views: 30
PDF Views: 1