Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Corporate Social Responsibility:A Case Study of Vardhman Textiles Limited in India
As a corporate citizen, Vardhman Textiles Limited has built a strong reputation for always fulfilling its social responsibilities and placing immense importance on ethics and good corporate governance. With an aim to leverage resources of big business houses for public good and welfare, Government of India made it mandatory for firms to spend a fixed percentage of their profits on CSR activities by making amendments in the Companies Act in the year 2015. It also mentioned the activities on which the companies shall spend money in order to count their expenditure as a part of CSR expenditure. With regard to new regulatory changes introduced this case study tries documenting the CSR initiatives undertaken by Vardhman in India and the implications of these activities on General Public. It also tries exploring the perception of various stakeholders in context to company’s social responsibility behavior by conducting field visits to its manufacturing unit in Punjab.
Corporate Social Responsibility, Vardhman, Water, Education, Environment, Health, Textile.
- Barsoux, J. L., Hughes, K., Manzoni, J.F. & Tibrewala, V. (2004). Tata Steel: A century of corporate social responsibility. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/product/tata-steel-a-century-of-corporate-social-responsibility/INS646-PDF-ENG.
- Bartlett, C. A. (2014). Unilever's lifebuoy in India: Implementing the sustainability plan. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/product/unilever-s-lifebuoy-in-india-implementing-the-sustainability-plan/914417-PDF-ENG.
- GD, B. P., Murthy, V. & Dave, P. (2013). CSR at shipping corporation of India. Indian Journal of Corporate Governance, 6, 64-75.
- Ghasemi, S., Nazemi, M. & Hajirahimian, T. (2014). From corporate social responsibility (CSR) to creating shared value (CSV): Case study of Mobarakeh Steel Company. Global Business Management Research: An International Journal, 6(1), 15-23.
- Jayakumar, A. & Elavarasan, R. (2015). Impact of corporate social responsibility practices on neighbouring society: A case study of NLC Ltd., Tamil Nadu. MANTHAN: Journal of Commerce and Management, 2(1), 87-103.
- Kanchan, M. (2010). Weaving social responsibility with business strategy: A case study of South India Paper Mills. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 17(3), 169-172.
- Knudsen, B. T. & Nielsen, A. E. (2013). Acts that matter: An analysis of Kiva. Social Responsibility Journal, 9(4), 603-621.
- Sekhon, A. K. & Kathuria, L. M. (2019). Achieving sustainability through corporate social responsibility: A case of Ambuja Cements Limited in Punjab. Journal of General Management Research, 6(2), 1-15.
- Shah, S. & Bhaskar, A. S. (2010). Corporate social responsibility in an Indian public sector organization: A case study of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd. Journal of Human Values, 16(2), 143-156.
- Shah, S. (2014). Corporate social responsibility: A way of life at the Tata group. Journal of Human Values, 20(1), 59-74.
- Sharma, C. & Kanna, S. (2017). Impact of corporate social responsibility on corporate financial performance. MANTHAN: Journal of Commerce and Management, 6(1), 110.
- Singh, N., Srivastava, R. & Rastogi, R. (2014). A road way to corporate social responsibility: A case study of ICICI bank. IOSR Journal of Business Management, 16(1), 38-42.
- Thakur, D. & Sharma, A. (2014). Corporate social responsibility in the context of female foeticide and infanticide in Rajasthan. MANTHAN: Journal of Commerce and Management, 1(2), 72-84.
Abstract Views: 195
PDF Views: 1