Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Review Paper to Comprehend Impulse Buying Behavior
Buying is often considered to be associated with need driven and demand focused, but over a period of time things had changed due to increasing consumerism. Also a thing that cannot be ignored is higher purchasing capacity backed by smart presentation of products by the organization. That not only affects the consumer thought process rather sensitizes the conscious and subconscious mind to follow what marketers had been fed, That only lead to very known unplanned buying behavior often termed as Impulse buying behavior. The present paper is an effort to understand the core concept of Impulse buying and tries to uncover the topic by examining literature and compiling the same to develop more clarity of the domain under study.
Consumerism, Unplanned Buying, Impulse Buying Behaviour, Impulse Purchase.
- Abbasi, B. (2017). Relationship between consumer characteristics and impulse buying Behaviour: The mediating role of buying intention of new clothing buyers. International Review of Management and Marketing, 7(1), 26-33.
- Akram, U., Hui, P., Khan, M. K. & Hashim, M. (2016). Impact of store atmosphere on impulse buying behaviour: Moderating effect of demographic variables. International Journal of u- and e- Service, Science and Technology, 9(7), 43-60.
- Ali, S. W. & Sudan, S. (2018). Influence of cultural factors on impulse buying tendency: A study of Indian consumers. Vision: The Journal of Business Perspective, 22(1), 68-77.
- Aruna, S. & Santhi, P. (2015). Impulse purchase behaviour among Gen Y. IUP Journal of Marketing Management, 14(1), 21-38.
- Awan, A. G. & Abbas, (2015). Impact of demographic factors on impulse buying Behaviour of consumers in Multan-Pakistan. European Journal of Business and Management, 7(22), 96-105.
- Bandyopadhyay, N. (2016). The role of self-esteem, negative affect and normative influence in impulse buying: a study from India. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 34(4), 523-539.
- Beatty, E. S. & Ferrell, E. F. (1988). Impulse buying: modelling its precursors. Journal of Retailing, 74(2), 169-191.
- Faber, R. J. & O'Guinn, T. C. (1992). A clinical screener for compulsive buying. Journal of Consumer Research, 19(3), 459–469.
- Ferrell, E.M. & Beatty, E. S. (1998). Impulse buying: Modeling its precursors. Journal of Retailing, 74(2), 169-19.
- Harmancioglu, N., Finney, R. Z., & Finney, M. (2009). Impulse purchases of new products: an empirical analysis. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 18(1), 27-37.
- Hausman, A. (2000). A multi-method investigation of consumer motivations in impulse buying behaviour. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 17(5), 403-426.
- Holbrook, B. M. & Hirschman, C. E. (1982). The experiential aspects of consumption: Consumer fantasies, feelings, and fun. Journal of Consumer Research, 9(2), 132–140.
- Iyer, E. (1989). Unplanned purchasing: Knowledge of shopping environment and time pressure. Journal of Retailing, 65(1), 40-57.
- Kacen J. J. & Lee, J. A. (2002). The influence of culture on consumer impulsive buying behaviour. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 12(2), 163-176.
- Mehta, N. P. & Chugan, P. K. (2013). The impact of visual merchandising on impulse buying Behaviour of consumer: A case from central mall of Ahmedabad India. Universal Journal of Management, 1(2), 76-82.
- Melewar, T. C. & Crowford, G. (2006). The importance of impulse purchasing behaviour in the international airport environment. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 3(1), 85-98.
- Mowen, J. C. & Minor, M. (1998). Consumer Behaviour. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Nagadeepa, C., Selvi, J. T. & Pushpa, A. (2015). Impact of sale promotion techniques on consumers’ impulse buying behaviour towards apparels at Bangalore. Asian Journal of Management Sciences & Education, 4(1), 116-124.
- Narula, S. (2015). Analysing Indian consumers’ online shopping and purchasing behaviour. MANTHAN: Journal of Commerce and Management, 2(2), 14-49.
- O’Brien, S. (2018). Consumers cough up $5,400 a year on impulse purchases. Retrieved from https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/23/consumers-cough-up-5400-a-year-on-impulse-purchases.html.
- Parboteeah, D.V. (2005). A model of online impulse buying: An empirical study, Doctoral Dissertation, Washington State University. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.425.4182&rep=rep1&type=pdf.
- Piron, F. (1991). Defining impulse purchasing. In Rebecca H. Holman & Michael R. Solomon (Eds.), NA - Advances in consumer research, Vol 18 (pp 509-514). Provo, UT: Association for Consumer Research.
- Prakash, G., Sahney, S., Kodati, S. & Shrivastava, A. (2017). Gender effects on impulse buying behaviour. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, 7(4). Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1108/EEMCS-05-2016-0075.
- Prashar, S., Parsad, C. & Vijay, T. S. (2015). Factors prompting impulse buying behaviour–study among shoppers in India. International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management, 11(2), 219–244.
- Rook, D. W. & Hoch, S. J. (1985). Consuming impulses. In Elizabeth C. Hirschman & Moris B. Holbrook (Eds.), NA - Advances in Consumer Research, Vol 12 (pp 23-27). Provo, UT: Association for Consumer Research.
- Rook, D. W., & Fisher, R. J. (1995). Normative influences on impulsive buying Behaviour. The Journal of Consumer Research, 22(3), 305-313.
- Rook, D. W., & Gardner, M. P. (1988). In the mood: impulse buying’s affective antecedents. Research in Consumer Behaviour, 6(7), 1-28.
- Rook, W. D. (1987). The buying impulse. Journal of Consumer Research, 14(2), 189-199.
- Schiffman, L. G., & Kanuk, L. L. (2007). Consumer behaviour. (9th ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Sharma, P., Sivakumaran, B., & Marshall, R. (2010). Impulse buying and Variety seeking: A trait-correlatesperspective. Journal of Business Research, 63(3), 276-83. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2009.03.013.
- Shoham, A. & Brenčič, M. M. (2003). Compulsive buying behaviour. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 20(2), 127-138.
- Silvera, D.H., Lavack, A.M. & Kropp, F. (2008). Impulse buying: the role of affect, social influence, and subjective wellbeing. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 25(1), 23-33.
- Stern, H. (1962). The significance of impulse buying today. Journal of Marketing, 26(2), 59-62.
- Sundström, M., Lidholm, S. H. & Radon, A. (2019). Clicking the boredom away exploring impulse fashion buying Behaviour online. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 47, 150–156. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2018.11.006.
- Supriya M. K. (2016). Internal motivating factors of impulse buying: A qualitative study in the Indian context. Journal of Business and Retail Management Research (JBRMR), 10(2), 94-104
- Tauber, M. E. (1972). Why do people shop. Journal of Marketing, 36(4), 46-49.
- Tinne, W. S. (2011). Factors affecting impulse buying Behaviour of consumers at superstores in Bangladesh. ASA University Review, 5(1), 209-220.
- Tirmizi, M. A., Rehman, K.U. & Saif, M. I. (2009). An empirical study of consumer impulse buying behaviour in local market. European Journal of Scientific Research, 28(4), 522-532.
Abstract Views: 130
PDF Views: 1