Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Microsatellite DNA Marker Aided Diversity Analysis in Frenchbean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.)
Sixty four french bean genotypes were analyzed with 15 microsatellite markers to test variation. Among the total 15 SSR primers used, 10 primers were polymorphic and 5 were monomorphic. Of the 15 SSR primers used, 10 primer pairs showed polymorphism. The number of alleles produced by different primers ranged from two to four. The high level of polymorphism (66.66%) was obtained. The cluster construction based on SSR marker data revealed significant genetic variation among the genotypes. SSR marker system showed high dissimilarity among the french bean genotypes. Cluster diagram constructed using polymorphic markers identified two major clusters. All exotic collections, landraces, local types and released varieties were grouped in same cluster with some indigenous collection, whereas cluster A comprised only of indigenous collection.
Dendrogram, Breeding, French Bean, Germplasm, Microsatellite, Polymorphism.
- Blair M.W., Pedraza F., Buendia H. F., Gaitan-solis E., Beebe S. E., Gepts P. and Tohme J. (2003). Development of a genomewide anchored microsatellite map for common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Theor Appl Genet., 107:1362-1374
- Blair M.W., Giraldo M.C., Buendia H. F.,Tovar E., Duque M.C. and Beebe S.E. (2006). Microsatellite marker diversity in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Theor. Appl. Genet., 113: 100-109.
- Botstein D., White R.L., Skolnick M. and Davis R.W.(1980). Construction of a genetic linkage map in man using restriction fragment length polymorphism. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 32: 314-331.
- Dellaporta S.L., Wood J. and Hicks J.B. (1983). A plant DNA mini preparation, version II. Plant Molecular Biology Report, 1: 19-21.
- Diouf D. and Hilu W.K. (2005). Microsatellites and RPD markers to study genetic relationships among cowpea breeding lines and local varieties in Senegal. Genet. Resour. Crop Evolution, 52:1057-1067.
- Don R. H., Cox P. T., Waincoright B. J., Baker J. and Mattick J.S.(1991). Touchdown PCR to circumvent spurious priming during gene amplification. Nucleic Acids Res., 19: 40-48.
- Gaitan -Solis, E., Duque, M. C., Edwards, K. J. and Tohme J.(2002) Microsatellite Repeats in Common Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.): Isolation, Characterization, and Cross-Species Amplification in Phaseolus ssp. Crop sci., 42:2128-2137
- Gillaspie J.R., Hopkins M.S. and Dean, R.E.(2005). Determining genetic diversity between lines of Vigna unguiculata subspecies by AFLP and SSR markers. Genet Resour. Crop Evolution, 52:245-247.
- Gupta P.K. and Varshney R.K.( 2000). The development and use of microsatellite markers for genetic analysis and plant breeding with emphasis on bread wheat. Euphytica, 113: 163-185.
- Jarne P. and Lagoda P.J.L. (1996). Microsatellites from molecules to populations and back. Trends Evolution Ecol, 11:424-429.
- Li C.D., Singh B.B. and Graham. J.S. (2001). Determining genetic similarities and relationships among cowpea breeding lines and cultivars by microsatellite markers. Crop Sci., 41: 189-197.
- Kaura S., Singha N., Sodhia N.S. and Ranab J.C.(2009). Diversity in properties of seed and flour of kidney bean germplasm. Food Chem. 117(2): 282-289.
- Mignouna H.D., Ikea J. and Thottappilly, G.(1998). Genetic diversity in cowpea as revealed by amplified polymorphic DNA. J. Genet. Breed., 52: 151-159.
- Ogunkanmi L.A., Ogundipe, O.T., Ng N.Q. and Fatokun, C.A.( 2008). Genetic diversity analysis in wild relatives of cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp] as revealed by simple sequence repeated (SSR) markers. J.Food, Agric. Envt., 6: 263-268.
- Singh S.P.(1999). Improvement of small-seeded race Mesoamerican cultivars. In Common Bean Improvement in the Twenty-First Century (ed. Singh S.P.), Kluwer, Dordrecht. pp. 225-274.
- Song Z.P., Xu X., Wang B., Chen J.K. and Lu B.R.(2003).Genetic diversity in the northernmost Oryza rufipogon populations estimated by SSR markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 107: 1492-1499.
- Tansksley S.D., Young N.D., Paterson, A.H. and Bonierbale M.W.(1989). RFLP mapping in plant breeding-New tools for an old science. Biotch., 7: 257-264.
- Uma M.S., Hittalmani S., Keshavamurtthy B.C. and Viswanatha K.P.(2009). Microsatellite DNA marker aided diversity analysis in cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp]. Indian J Genet 69: 25-43.
- Virk P.S., Newbury H.J., Jackson M. T. and Ford-Lloyd B.V.(2000). Are mapped or anonymous markers more useful for assessing genetic diversity? Theor. Appl. Genet. 100: 607-613.
- Vos P., Hogers R., Bleeker M, Reijans M, Van de lee T.and Hornes M.(1995). AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23: 4407-4414.
- Welsh J. and Mcclelland M.(1990). Fingerprinting genomes using PCR wit arbitrary primers. Nucleic Acids Res. 18: 7213-7218.
- Williams J.G.K., Kubelik A.R., Livak K.J.,Rafalski J.A. and Tingey S.V.(1990). DNA polymorphism amplified by arbitrary primers as useful genetic markers. Nucleic Acids Res. 18: 6531-6535.
- Yu K., Park S.J., Poysa V. and Gepts P.( 2000). Integration sequences repeat (ISSR) markers into a molecular linkage map of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). J. Hered., 91:429-434.
- Zeven A.C., Waninge, J., Hintum T.H. , Van. and Singh S.P.(1999). Phenotypic variation in a core collection of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) in the Netherlands. Euphytica 109: 93-106.
Abstract Views: 2848
PDF Views: 2