Impact of Technological Advancement in Rooms Division of Indian Hotel Industry
Purpose: The purpose of this paper is to analyze the impact of technological advancement in rooms’ division of Indian hotel industry.
Design/methodology/approach: Data was collected via in-depth, semi structured interviews with senior hotel professionals including General Managers, Front Office managers, Executive Housekeepers & Sales Managers. Several research papers that provide statistics of organizational benefit due to implementation of technology were compared to Indian Hotel Industry. The research findings illustrate several benefits and drawbacks of implementing technology used by rooms’ division department for both front & Back of the house areas.
Findings: The results demonstrate that technological advancement in rooms division can have a significant effect on enhancing the customer experience and increasing revenue however it may also be accompanied by challenges such as Data Management and breach of privacy. The study also presents the most commonly installed technologies that hoteliers plan to install in the near future.
Practical implications: Evaluation of benefits and drawbacks of various technologies allow hotel managers to decide the implication of latest technological inventions into their organization.
Originality/value: By identifying the set of benefits and drawbacks of technologies that are currently implemented in various organizations, this study helps hotel managers decide best possible ways to implement these technological technologies in their organization keeping Capital Investment, Guest satisfaction & employee efficiency into account.
- An Oracle Hospitality - Phocuswright Study Creating the Coveted Hotel Guest Experience- Perspectives from Consumers and Hoteliers Retrieved from https://www.oracle.com/webfolder/s/delivery_production/docs/FY16h1/doc35/Guest-Experience-Report-2016-V7.pdf
- Bauer, S. (2014). Sensing the future of the Internet of Things. Retrieved from https://www.pwcaccelerator.com/pwcsaccelerator/docs/pwc-future-of-the-internet-of-things.pdf
- Bilgihan, A., Okumus, F., Khal Nusair, K., & Joon-Wuk Kwun, D. (2011). Information technology applications and competitive advantage in hotel companies. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 2(2), 139-153.
- Brochado, A., Rita, P., Margarido, A., & Margarido, A. (2016). High tech meets high touch in upscale hotels. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 7(4), 347-365.
- Carter, B. (2017). How technology is changing the hotel industry and the impact on guest experiences. Retrieved from https://www.rentokil.com/blog/how-technology-is-changing-the-hotel-industry/#.W6HHKs4zbIU
- Adelson, D. (2016) Intelity forecast of hotel technology in 2017. [Online]. Retrieved from https://goo.gl/KKo86Q
- Tossell, D. (2015) Developing your digital guest strategy. [Online]. Retrieved from https://goo.gl/C2zxgf
- Falko, H. (2016). Room for Technology- Hotel Technology. Hospitality Net. Retrieved from https://www.hospitalitynet.org/opinion/4075766.html
- Langford, G. (2016). 2016 travel and hospitality industry outlook. [Online]. Retrieved from https://goo.gl/yCYJoz
- King, D. (2017). Robots the talk of tech technologys at hospitality summit. Retrieved from https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Hotel-News/Robots-the-talk-of-tech-technologys-at-hospitality-summit
- Kasavana, M. L. (2014). Hospitality industry: Connecting the unconnected, the internet of everything. [Online]. Retrieved from https://goo.gl/Wyr96q
- Ruiz-Molina, M.-E., Servera-Francés, D., Arteaga-Moreno, F., & Gil-Saura, I. (2018) Development and validation of a formative scale of technological advancement in hotels from the guest perspective [Online]. Retrieved from https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/JHTT-08-2017-0070
- Kansakar, M. P., & Khan, S. U. (2017). IFCIoT: Integrated fog cloud IoT: A novel architectural paradigm for the future internet of things. IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, 6(3), 74-82.
- Murphy, H. C., Chen, M. M., & Cossutta, M. (2016). An investigation of multiple devices and information sources used in the hotel booking process. Tourism Management, 52, 44-51.
- Okazaki, S., Andreu, L., & Campo, S. (2017). Knowledge sharing among tourists via social media: a comparison between Facebook and TripAdvisor. International Journal of Tourism Research, 19(1), 107-119
- Kansakar, P., Munir, A., & Shabani, N. (2017). Technology in Hospitality Industry: Prospects and Challenges’ [Online]. Retrieved from https://arxiv.org/pdf/1709.00105.pdf
- Mohanty, S. P., Choppali, U., & Kougianos, E. (2016). Everything you wanted to know about smart cities: The internet of things is the backbone. IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine, 5(3), 60-70.
- Hsiao, T.-Y., Chuang, C.-M., & Huang, L. (2018). The contents, determinants, and strategic procedure for implementing suitable green activities in star hotels. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 69(C), 1-13.
- Lee, W.-H., & Cheng, C. -C. (2018). Less is more: A new insight for measuring service quality of green hotels. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 68(C), 32-40.
- Zhu, W. W., & Morosan, C. (2014). An empirical examination of guests’ adoption of interactive mobile technologies in hotels: Revisiting cognitive absorption, playfulness, and security. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 5(1), 78-94.
Abstract Views: 63
PDF Views: 0