Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
3D Printing in Dentistry-Sculpting the Way it is
One of the most immediate emerging trends is the use of 3D printing in the field of medicine and dentistry. 3D printing technology has the potential to be very beneficial to patients and doctors in terms of patient-specific individualized management. These inventive advances have been gradually advancing into medicinal gadgets, cutting down expenses in the social insurance industry and making it less demanding for patients to oversee interminable conditions. Dental research centers can create crowns, bridges, stone models, implants and different surgical, endodontic and orthodontic appliances by strategies that combine oral scanning, 3D printing, and CAD/CAM design. Current 3D printing has been utilized for the advancement of models for quite a while, and it has started to discover its utilization in the realm of manufacturing. This review is focussed around the advances in Additive Manufacturing and its developing applications in the field of Dentistry.
Additive Manufacturing (AM), Stereolithography, 3D Printing, Dentistry, CBCT, STL.
- R. R. Fry, I. Gargya, S. Goyal, J. P. S. Chawla, P. K. Pandher, G. Dhaliwal, and P. S. Ghotra, “Additive manufacturing- An enigma: The future of oral & maxillofacial surgery,” IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 78-83, 2016.
- C. W. Hull, “Apparatus for production of three-dimensional objects by stereolithography,” US Patent, 4575330, March 1986.
- F. B. Prinz, C. L. Atwood, R. F. Aubin, J. J. Beaman, R. L. Brown, P. S. Fussell, A. J. Lightman, E. Sachs, L. E. Weiss, and M. J. Wozny, “Rapid prototyping association of the society of manufacturing engineers,” JTEC/WTEC Panel Report, Loyola College in Maryland, 1997.
- C. Zaharia, A. G. Gabor, A. Gavrilovici, A. T. Stan, L. Idorasi, C. Sinescu, and M. L. Negrutiu, “Digital dentistry- 3D printing applications,” Journal of Interdisciplinary Medicine, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 50-53, 2017.
- The History of 3D Printing: 3D Printing Technologies from the 80s toToday. Available https://www.sculpteo.com/blog/2016/12/14/the-historyof-3d-printing-3d-printing-technologies-from-the-80s-to-today.
- R. Jain, Supriya, S. Bindra, and K. Gupta, “Recent trends of 3-D printing in dentistry- A review,” Annals of Prosthodontics & Restorative Dentistry, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 101-110, October-December 2016.
- S. Gali, and S. Sirsi, “Review: 3D printing: The future technology in prosthodontics,” Journal of Dental & Oro-Facial Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 37-40, January-June, 2015.
- A. Dawood, B. Marti, V. S. Jackson, and A. Darwood, “3D printing in dentistry,” British Dental Journal, vol. 219, no. 11, no. 521-219, 2015.
- F. Xu, Y. S. Wong, and T. H. Loh, “Towards generic models for comparative evaluation and process selection in rapid prototyping and manufacturing, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 283-296, 2000.
- K. Subburaj, C. Nair, S. Rajesh, S. M. Meshram, and B. Ravi, “Rapid development of auricular prosthesis using CAD and rapid prototyping technologies,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 938-943, October, 2007.
- R. V. Noort, “The future of dental devices is digital,” Dental Materials, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 3-12, 2012.
- L. M. Sykes, A. M. Parrott, C. P. Owen, and D. R. Snaddon, “Applications of rapid prototyping technology in maxillofacial prosthetics,” International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 454-459, July-August, 2004.
- T. M. Barker, W. J. S. Earwaker, N. Frost, and G. Wakeley, “Integration of 3-D medical imaging and rapid prototyping to create stereo lithographic models,” Australasian Physical & Engineering Sciences in Medicine,” vol. 16, pp. 79-85, 1993.
- M. P. Zumpano, B. S. Carson, J. L. Marsh, C. A. Vanderkolk, and J. T. Richtsmeier, “Three-dimensional morphological analysis of isolate metopic sysnostosis,” The Anatomical Record, vol. 256, no. 2, pp. 177-188, 1999.
- C. Mole, H. Gerard, J. L. Mallet, J. F. Chassagne, and N. Miller, “A new three-dimensional treatment algorithm for complex surfaces applications in surgery,” Journal of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 156-162, February, 1995.
- Y. Y. Yau, J. F. Arvier, and T. M. Barker, “Technical note: Maxillofacial bio-modelling-preliminary result,” British Journal of Radiology; vol. 68, no. 809, pp. 519-523, May, 1995.
- H. H. Malik, A. R. J. Darwood, and S. Shaunak, “Three-dimensional printing in surgery: A review of current surgical applications,” The Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 199, no. 2, pp. 512-522, 2015.
Abstract Views: 37
PDF Views: 0