Open Access Subscription Access
Transesterification of Jatropha curcas Oil by using K Impregnated CaO Heterogeneous Catalyst
Growing environmental concern and fast depletion of conventional fossil fuel resources have induced an urgent search for alternative energy sources. In this regard, biodiesel obtained from Jatropha oil (a non-food oil), seems to be a very promising alternative. Though a lot of research is already done in catalytic transesterification, in the present work, conversion of high FFA (5.5%) bearing Jatropha oil to methyl ester was studied using synthesized KF/CaO solid catalyst. The novelty of this heterogeneous catalyst is the omission of two major steps — neutralization step in which acid is used followed by transesterification using the basic homogeneous catalyst. The catalyst KF/CaO is easily prepared from cheap chemicals and is safe for the environment. The catalyst was characterized by mean of TPD of CO2, X-ray diffraction, BET surface area (SA) analyzer. Catalytic transesterification of this oil was studied with different reaction parameters to achieve a 97% conversion. Optimization of conditions (molar ratio of methanol/oil, time, temperature and catalyst dosage) was also established. The present work makes the process not only safer to the environment but also shows the gateway for greener alternatives to the energy of high FFA oils.
Biodiesel, CaO Supported KF Catalyst, FFA, Non-Edible Oil, Optimization.
- Reddy A N R, Saleh A A, Islam M S, Hamdan S & Maleque M A, Biodiesel production from crude Jatropha oil using a highly active heterogeneous nanocatalyst by optimizing transesterification reaction parameters, Energy Fuels, 30(1) (2016) 334–343.
- Sahu G, Gupta N K, Kotha A, Saha S, Datta S, Chavan P, Kumari N & Dutta P, A Review on biodiesel production through heterogeneous catalysis route, Chem Bio Eng Rev, 5(4) (2018) 231–252.
- Vicente G, Martınez M & Aracil J, Integrated biodiesel production: a comparison of different homogeneous catalysts systems, Bioresour Technol, 92(3) (2004) 297–305.
- Hari T K & Yaakob Z, Effect of calcination temperature on the application of sodium zirconate solid base catalyst for biodiesel production from Jatropha curcas oil, Int J Green Energy, 14(14) (2017) 1163–1171.
- Raia R Z, da Silva L S, Marcucci S M P & Arroyo P A, Biodiesel production from Jatropha curcas L. oil by simultaneous esterification and transesterification using sulphated zirconia, Catal Today, 289 (2017) 105–114.
- Zhou Q, Zhang H, Chang F, Li H, Pan H, Xue W, Hu D Y & Yang S, Nano La2O3 as a heterogeneous catalyst for biodiesel synthesis by transesterification of Jatropha curcas L. oil, J Ind Eng Chem, 31 (2015) 385–392.
- Zhang J, Chen S, Yang R & Yan Y, Biodiesel production from vegetable oil using heterogenous acid and alkali catalyst, Fuel, 89(10) (2010) 2939–2944.
- Dias J M, Alvim-Ferraz M C & Almeida M F, Comparison of the performance of different homogeneous alkali catalysts during transesterification of waste and virgin oils and evaluation of biodiesel quality, Fuel, 87(17-18) (2008) 3572–3578.
- Corro G, Tellez N, Ayala E & Marinez-Ayala A, Two-step biodiesel production from Jatropha curcas crude oil using SiO2·HF solid catalyst for FFA esterification step, Fuel, 89(10) (2010) 2815–2821.
- Xie W, Peng H & Chen L, Transesterification of soybean oil catalyzed by potassium loaded on alumina as a solid-base catalyst, Appl Catal A, 300(1) (2006) 67–74.
- Granados M L, Poves M Z, Alonso D M, Mariscal R, Galisteo F C, Moreno-Tost R, Santamaría J & Fierro J L G, Biodiesel from sunflower oil by using activated calcium oxide, Appl Catal B, 73(3-4) (2007) 317–326.
- Sudsakorn K, Saiwuttikul S, Palitsakun S, Seubsai A & Limtrakul J, Biodiesel production from Jatropha Curcas oil using strontium-doped CaO/MgO catalyst, J Environ Chem Eng, 5(3) (2017) 2845–2852.
- Li H, Wang Y, Ma X, Wu Z, Cui P, Lu W, Liu F, Chu H & Wang Y, A novel magnetic CaO-based catalyst synthesis and characterization: Enhancing the catalytic activity and stability of CaO for biodiesel production, Chem Eng J, 391 (2020) 123549.
- Vujicic D, Comic D, Zarubica A, Micic R & Boskovic G, Kinetics of biodiesel synthesis from sunflower oil over CaO heterogeneous catalyst, Fuel, 89(8) (2010) 2054–2061.
- Naresh B, Reddy M S, Vijayalakshmi P, Reddy V & Devi P, Physico-chemical screening of accessions of Jatropha curcas for biodiesel production, Biomass Bioenergy, 40 ( 2012) 155–161.
- Wen L, Wang Y, Lu D, Hu S & Han H, Preparation of KF/CaO nanocatalyst and its application in biodiesel production from Chinese tallow seed oil, Fuel 89 (2010) 2267–2271.
- Sahu G, Saha S, Datta S, Chavan P & Naik S N, Methanolysis of Jatropha curcas oil using K2CO3/CaO as a solid base catalyst, Turk J Chem, 41(6) (2017) 845–861.
- Endalew A K, Kiros Y & Zanzi R, Heterogeneous catalysis for biodiesel production from Jatropha curcas oil (JCO), Energy, 36(5) (2011) 2693–2700.
- Xie W & Huang X, Synthesis of biodiesel from soybean oil using heterogeneous KF/ZnO catalyst, Catal Lett, 107(1-2) (2006) 53–59.
- Albuquerque M C, Jiménez-Urbistondo I, Santamaría-González J, Mérida-Robles J M, Moreno-Tost R, Rodríguez-Castellón E, Jiménez-López A, Azevedo D C, Cavalcante Jr C L & Maireles-Torres P, CaO supported on mesoporous silica as basic catalysts for transesterification reactions, Appl Catal A, 334(1-2) (2008) 35–43.
- Meng X, Chen G & Wang Y, Biodiesel production from waste cooking oil via alkali catalyst and its engine test, Fuel Process Technol, 89(9) (2008) 851–857.
- Liu X, He H, Wang Y, Zhu S & Piao X, Transesterification of soybean oil to biodiesel using CaO as a solid base catalyst, Fuel, 87(2) (2008) 216–221.
- Ebiura T, Echizen T, Ishikawa A, Murai K & Baba T, Selective transesterification of triolein with methanol to methyl oleate and glycerol using alumina loaded with alkali metal salt as a solid-base catalyst, Appl Catal A, 283(1-2) (2005) 111–116.
- Ngamcharussrivichai C, Nunthasanti P, Tanachai S & Bunyakiat K, Biodiesel production through transesterification over natural calciums, Fuel Process Technol, 91(11) (2010) 1409–1415.
- Liu X, He H, Wang Y& Zhu S, Transesterification of soybean oil to biodiesel using SrO as a solid base catalyst, Catal Commun, 8 (2007) 1107–1111.
- Kaur M & Ali A, Lithium ion impregnated calcium oxide as nano catalyst for the biodiesel production from Karanja and Jatropha oils, Renewable Energy 36 (2011) 2866-2871.
Abstract Views: 8
PDF Views: 3