Open Access Subscription Access
Design and Development of a Digital Controlled Dielectric Barrier Discharge (DBD) AC Power Supply for Ozone Generation
A digital controlled dielectric barrier discharge (DBD) AC (Alternative current) power supply is designed and investigated. The power source design with a diode bridge rectifier and PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) inverter along with driver circuits are presented. A step-up transformer is designed to carry 4.6 kW and 10 kVp-p for a dielectric barrier discharge (DBD) AC power supply and ozone generation. An STM (STMicroelectronics) microcontroller is employed to control the phase shift angle of the PWM inverter. The operating frequency of the PWM inverter is 25 kHz. Zero voltage detection can be reached and achieves maximum efficiency. Also, a high voltage transformer is included. The practical results shown that the DBD power supply can be controlled at the chosen value and extreme efficiency can be 87.45 % at 4.6 kW/10 kVp-p.
Control Circuit, Diode Bridge Rectifier, High Voltage Transformer, PWM Inverter, STM.
- Kogelschatz U, (2003) Available from; 10.1023/a: 1022470901385;https://dx.doi.org/10.1023/a:1022470901385.
- Gadria B & R, Roth J R, Montie T C, Kelly-Wintenberg K, Tsai P P-Y, Helfritch D J, Feldman P, Sherman D M, Karakaya F, Chen Z, UTK Plasma Sterilization Team, Sterilization and plasma processing of room temperature surfaces with a one atmosphere uniform glow discharge plasma, Surf Coat Techn, 131 (2000) 528–542.
- Kim Y, Characteristics of dielectric barrier glow discharges with low-frequency generator in nitrogen, J Korean Ph Soc, 43(5) (2003) 732–737.
- Kuraica M M, Obradović B M, Manojlović D, Ostojić D R & Purić J, Ozonized water generator based on coaxial dielectric-barrier-discharge in air, Vacuum, 73(3-4) (2004) 705–708. Available from 10.1016/j.vacuum.2003. 12.093;https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2003.12.093.
- Wagner H E, The barrier discharge: basic properties and applications to surface treatment, Vacuum, 71(3) (2003) 417–436.
- Nomoto Y, Ohkubo T, Kanazawa S & Adachi T, Improvement of ozone yield by a silent-surface hybrid discharge ozonizer, IEEE Trans Ind Appl, 31(6) (1995) 1458–1462, available from: 10.1109/28.475741;https:// dx.doi.org/10.1109/28.475741.
- Francke K P, Rudolph R & Miessner H, (2003) Available from: 10.1023 /a:1022412718224;https://dx.doi.org/ 10.1023/a:1022412718224.
- Casanueva R, Azcondo F J & Bracho S, Series–parallel resonant converter for an EDM power supply, J Mater Process Technol, 149(1-3) (2004) 172–177, Available from: 10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2003.10.038;https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2003.10.038.
- Fujita H & Akagi H, Control and performance of a pulse-density-modulated series-resonant inverter for corona discharge processes, IEEE Trans Ind Appl, 35(3) (1999) 621–627, Available from: 10.1109/28.767013; https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/28.767013.
- Kurimoto Y, A high precision power supply for fast pulse current with a digital control system. IEEE Trans Appl Supercond, 26(4) (2016): 1–4, Available from: 10.1109/tasc.2016.2521443;https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tasc.2016.2521443.
- Kurokawa F & Furukawa Y, High performance digital control switching power supply, in 16th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference and Exposition (Turkey) (2014) 21–24.
- Sun Y, A novel high-rate hybrid window ADC design for monolithic digitally-controlled DC-DC converters, in IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 2017, 28–31.
- Sugita H, Application of ozone disinfection to remove Enterococcus seriolicida, Pasteurella piscicida, and Vibrio Anguillarum from seawater, Appl Environ Microbiol, 58(12) (1992) 4072–4075.
- Summerfelt S T & Hochheimer J N, Review of ozone processes and applications as an oxidizing agent in aquaculture (1997), Available from: 10.1577/1548-8640(1997)059<0094: roopaa>2.3.co;2;https://dx.doi.org/ 10.1577/1548-8640 (1997)059<0094: roopaa>2.3.co; 2.
- Cho M, Disinfection of water containing natural organic matter by using ozone-initiated radical reactions, Appl Environ Microbiol, 64(4) (2003) 2284–2291.
- Burleson G R, Murray T M & Pollard M, Inactivation of viruses and bacteria by ozone, with and without sonication, Appl Microbiol, 29(3) (1975) 340–344, Available from: 10.1128/aem.29.3.340-344.1975;https://dx.doi.org/10.1128/aem.29.3.340-344.1975.
- Mastanaiah N, A computational diagnostic tool for understanding plasma sterilization, in 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, 2012, 4–7.
- Yang W, Huang J & Dai Z, Design of a high-precision DC regulated power supply system, in IEEE 4th Information Technology, Networking, Electronics and Automation Control Conference, 1212–1216.
- Li H, Tang J & Lin L, Design of digital control high-voltage DC power supply, 12th International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Design (ISCID) 19–22.
- Rao S, Veena K & Chakravarthi S, Design and performance analysis of digital control laws for low power high frequency switching power supply, in IEEE 2nd International Conference on Power and Energy Applications, 51–55.
- Pu Y, Liu G, Lin A, Wang Z, Wang J, Wu Z & Jiang W, Shengyuan Zhang & Yong Luo, PID modeling and experiment of the hot test of gyrotron traveling wave tubes. IEEE Trans plasma sci, 47(6) (2019) 2812–2817.
- Jiang S, Qiu L, Li Z, Zhang L & Rao J, A new all-solid-state bipolar high-voltage multilevel generator for dielectric barier discharge, IEEE transactions on plasma science, 48(4) (2020) 1076–1081, Available from: 10.1109/tps.2020. 2975216;https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tps.2020.2975216.
- El-Zein A, Talaat M, El-Aragi G & El-Amawy A. The characteristics of dielectric barrier discharge plasma under the effect of parallel magnetic field, (2020), Available from: 10.1109/tps.20202977640;https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tps.20202977640.
- Rueda V, Wiesner A, Diez R & Piquet H, Power Estimation of a Current Supplied DBD Considering the Transformer Parasitic Elements. IEEE transactions on industry applications.55(6) (2019): 6567-6575.Available from: 10.1109/tia.2019.2933519;https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tia.2019.2933519.
- Koliadimas A, Apostolopoulos D & Svarnas P, Kiriakis Sklias, Dimitrios Athanasopoulos, Epaminondas D, Mitronikas, A Microcontroller-based modular pulsed H V power supply: desing, implementation, and tests on dbd-based plasmas, IEEE transactions on plasma science, 47(3) (2019) 1621–1628.
- Tang X, Li Z & Zhang M, A Wide-range frequency model for dielectric barrier discharge type ozone generators powered by series resonant inverters. IEEE Access, 7 (2019) 124309–124314, Available from: 10.1109/access.2019. 2901718;https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/access.2019.2901718.
- Mastanaiah N, Inactivation of yeast cells using dielectric barrier discharge, in 48th AIAA Aerosp Sci Meeting (2010) 4–7.
- Alonso J M, Low-power high-voltage high-frequency power supply for ozone generation, IEEE Trans Ind Appl 40(2) (2004) 414–421.
- Ponce-Silva M, Single-switch power supply based on the class E shunt amplifier for ozone generators, in IEEE Power Electron. Specialists Conference (PESC) 2007, 17–21.
- Pérez-Nicoli P & Silveira F, Maixmum efficiency tracking in inductive power transmission using both matching networks and adjustable AC-DC converters, IEEE Trans Microw Theory Tech, 66(7) (2018) 3452–3562, Available from: 10.1109/tmtt.2018.2831676;https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tmtt.2018.2831676.
- Kant P & Singh B, A multi-pulse AC-DC converter fed 5-level NPC inverter based VCIMD, IEEMA Engineer Infinite Conference (eTechNxT) (2018).
- Gautam S & Gupta R, Balanced control of multilevel AC-DC converter with cascaded H-bridge cells, IEEE UP Section Conference on Electrical Computer and Electronics (2015).
- Lv Z, Distributed coordinate control based on state-of-charge for bidirectional power converters in a hybrid AC/DC Micro grid, Energies, 11(4) (2018) 1–15.
- Salas-Puente R A, Power management of the DC Bus connected converters in a hybrid AC/DC microgrid tied to the main grid, Energies, 11(4) (2018) 1–22.
- Yang Y, Multi-objective coordinate planning of distributed generation and AC/DC hybrid distribution networks based on a multi-scenario technique considering timing characteristics, Energies, 10(12) (2017) 1–29.
- Pejmanfar R, Haghifam M, Soleymani S & Tavassoli B, Large signal stabilization of hybrid AC/DC micro-grids using nonlinear robust controller, Eneriges, 10(12) (2017) 1985, Available from: 10.3390/en10121985;https:// dx.doi.org/10.3390/en10121985.
- PorsA, Browne N(2008).
- Mohns E, Chunyang J, Badura H & Raether P, A fundamental step-up method for standard voltage transformers based on an active capacitive high-voltage divider, IEEE Trans Instrum Measur, 68(6) (2019) 2121–2128, Available from: 10.1109/tim.2018.2880055; https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/tim.2018.2880055.
- Park K B, High step-up boost converter integrated with a transformer-assisted auxiliary circuit employing quasi-resonant operation, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 27(4) (2012) 1974–1984.
- C KS (2002)
- Furukawa K, A high step-up DC-DC converter using transformer with intrinsic voltage-doubler, in IEEE International Symposium in Circuits and Systems (2015) 2097–2100.
- Namboodiri A, Wani S, Bipolar U & Inverter P, International Journal for Innovative Research in Science & Technology, 1(7) (2014) 237–243.
- Choi J S & Kang F S, Seven-Level PWM Inverter Employing Series-Connected Capacitors Paralleled to a Single DC Voltage Source, 62(6) (2015) 3448–3459.
- Osaretin C A, Edeko F, Design and implementation of a PWM based 50 Hz 12 V DC / 220 V AC 1.5 kVA Inverter, J electr electron eng. 13(1) (2016) 25–29.
- Gautam S, AC/ DC/ AC converter based on parallel and cascaded multilevel DC / AC converter (2012).
- Nahavandi A, Single stage DC-AC boost converter, 7th Power Electronics and Drive Systems Technologies Conference (PEDSTC) (2016) 362–366.
- Sato K, Aging simulation of SiC-MOSFET in DC-AC converter, in IEEE Electron Devices Technology and Manufacturing Conference (EDTM) (2017) 119–121.
- Xiao W & Zhang B, Switching rule based on min-projection strategy for single phase DC-AC converter, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, 2015, 2394–2398.
- Hou C C & Su H P(2014).
- Hwu K I & Yau Y, One-comparator counter-based PWM control for DC-AC converter, in IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, 2009, 1813–1816.
- Karthick S, Kumar S, K& Mohan S, Relative analysis of controller effectiveness for vertical plane control of an autonomous underwater vehicle, in OCEANS 2016-Shanghai, 2016, 1–6.
Abstract Views: 13
PDF Views: 3