Open Access Subscription Access
CFD-Based Analysis of Wedges Water Entry under Impact Loads
The impact on a falling wedge upon water entry is numerically investigated in this paper. After verified by experimental data, the numerical framework is applied for parametric studies on wedges of different drop heights and different deadrise angles to reveal the interaction behaviour between the wedge and water during impact. Pressure distribution on the wedge surface during the water entry shows that the pressure peak moves up along the surface as impact time increases. It is found that the force peak decrease with the increase of drop height and decrease of deadrise angle of the wedge. The peak positions move positively along the timeline as the increase of deadrise angle while the peak force appears just in a small impact time range for a wedge.
CFD, Free surface, Impact, VOF, Wedge.
- Iranmanesh A, & Passandideh-Fard M, A three-dimensional numerical approach on water entry of a horizontal circular cylinder using the volume of fluid technique, Ocean Eng 130 (2017) 557–566.
- Nikfarjam M, Yaakob O B, Seif M S & Koto J, Investigation of wedge water-entry under symmetric impact loads by experimental tests, Lat Am J Solids Stru, 14 (2017) 861–873.
- Alavi Mehr J, Lavroff J, Davis M R, Holloway, D S & Thomas G A, An experimental investigation of ride control algorithms for high-speed catamarans part 2: mitigation of wave impact loads, J Ship Res, 61 (2017) 51–63.
- Jalalisendi M, Zhao S & Porfiri M, Shallow water entry: modeling and experiments, J Eng Math, 104 (2017) 131–156.
- Russo S, Biscarini C, Facci A L, Falcucci G, Jannelli E & Ubertini S, Experimental assessment of buoyant cylinder impacts through high-speed image acquisition, J Mar Sci Tech-Japan, 23 (2018) 67–80.
- Tu H, Yang Y, Zhang L, Xie D, Lyu X, Song L, Guan Y & Sun J, A modified admiralty coefficient for estimating power curves in EEDI calculations, Ocean Eng, 150 (2018) 309–317.
- Sun J, Tu H, Chen Y, Xie D & Zhou J, A study on trim optimization for a container ship based on effects due to resistance, J Ship Res 60 (2016) 30–47.
- Lyu X, Tu H, Xie D & Sun J, On resistance reduction of a hull by trim optimization, Brodogradnja, 69 (2018) 1–13.
- Lavroff J, Davis M R, Holloway D S, Thomas G A & McVicar J J, Wave impact loads on wave-piercing catamarans, Ocean Eng 131 (2017) 263–271.
- Kim Y, Yang K, Kim J & Zhu Z, Study of water-entry impact of wedge and ship-like section using potential theories and CFD, Int J Offshore Polar 27(2) (2017) 168–176.
- Qu Q, Liu C, Liu P, Guo B & Agarwal R K, Numerical simulation of water-landing performance of a regional aircraft, J Aircraft 53 (2016) 1680.
- Qu Q, Hu M, Guo H, Liu P & Agarwal R K, Numerical study of ditching characteristics of a transport aircraft by global moving mesh, J Aircraft 52 (2015) 1550.
- Shah S A, Orifici A C & Watmuff J H, Water impact of rigid wedges in two-dimensional fluid flow, J Appl Fluid Mech 8 329 (2015).
Abstract Views: 8
PDF Views: 2