Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Groove Location on Pressure Profile of Twin Axial Groove Journal Bearing
The main aim of current work is to analyze the influence of groove location on the pressure profile of the hybrid journal bearing. The objective is to develop solution algorithm and computer program which will provide pressure profile developed in the space of clearance of bearing having a given value of Somerfield number. The solution algorithm shall also provide three dimensional pressure profiles of the bearing for different groove location. It was found that groove location with respect to the loading line strongly influences the parameters of performance because of the stronger groove interference in the pressurized hydrodynamic field. The comparison of circumferential pressure with angular location from +X-axis is shown for the ratio of length to diameter which comes out to be 0.5, the clearance ratio (C/R) is found to be 0.00294 while 1125 rpm is the speed. The groove axes optimal location lies between 60° to 90° (∝1 g =0°) to the line of loading.
Groove, Hybrid Journal Bearing, Pressure Profile, Somerfeld Number, Super Laminar Flow.
- Costa L, Mirinda A S, Fillon M & Claro J C P, An analysis of the influence of oil supply condition on the thermohydrodynamic performance of a single groove journal bearing, J Engg Tribol, 217 (2003) 133–144.
- Brito F P, Bouyer J, Fillon M & Miranda A S, Thermal behavior and performance characteristics of a twin axial groove journal bearing as a function of applied load and oil supply temperature, TRIBOLOGIA-Finnish J Tribol, 3 (2006) 24–33.
- Brito F P, Miranda A S, Claro J C P & Fillon M, Experimental comparison of the performance of a journal bearing with a single and a twin axial groove configuration, Tribol Int, 54 (2012) 1–8.
- Bhagat C & Roy L, Steady state thermo hydrodynamic analysis of two axial groove and multilobe hydrodynamic bearings, Tribol in Industry, 36(4) (2014) 475–487.
- Desai C K & Patel D C, Experimental analysis of pressure distribution of hydrodynamic journal bearing: a parametric study, Proc Int Conf Adv Mech Engg (Dhaka University, Bangladesh) 2005, 4–8.
- Dwivedi V K, Chand S & Pandey K N, Stability analysis of twin axial groove hybrid journal bearing, J Appl fluid Mechanics, 9 (6), (2016) 2763–2768.
- Kini M V, Pai R S, Rao D S, Shenoy S B & Pai R, Effects of groove location on the dynamic characteristics of multiple axial groove water lubricated journal bearing, World Academy of Sci Engg and Tech, 36 (2009) 738–742.
- Roy L & Kakoty S K, Optimum groove location of hydrodynamic journal bearing using genetic algorithm, Adv in Tribol, Article ID 580367, (2013).
- Morton P G, Johnson J H & Walton M H, The influence of grooves in bearing on the stability and response of rotating systems, Tribol Series, 11 (1987) 347–354.
- Constantinescu V N, The pressure equation for turbulent lubrication, Proc Inst Mech Eng, 182 (3A) (1967) 383–400.
- Dwivedi V K, Chand S & Pandey K N, Effects of turbulence on dynamic performance of accelerated/decelerated hydrodynamic journal bearing, Int J Design Engg, 5(3) (2014) 256–288.
- Solghar A, Brito F P, Abdolzadeh M & Frajpour A, Numerical study of twin groove journal bearings performance under steady state condition, Lub Sci, 27(2) (2015) 83–102.
- Navthar R R & Halegowda N V, Stability analysis of hydrodynamic journal bearing using stiffness coefficient, Int J Engg Sci & Tech, 2(2) (2010) 87–93.
- Ren T & Feng M, Stability analysis of water lubricated journal bearing for fuel cell vehicle air compressor, Tribol Int, 95 (2016) 342–348.
Abstract Views: 8
PDF Views: 1