Open Access Subscription Access
Influence of TiC on Microstructure, Mechanical and Wear Properties of Magnesium alloy (AZ91D) Matrix Composites
This paper deals with the wear and mechanical (tensile, compressive, and microhardness) properties of Mg/TiC composites over magnesium alloy (AZ91D). Magnesium based metal matrix (AZ91D) composites were synthesized by using TiC particles varying wt % from 0% to 20% with a step of 5% by stir casting. The mechanical properties shows there is significant improvement of ultimate tensile strength (UTS) & % elongation, compressive strength, and microhardness with % increase of TiC content in Mg alloy. The fracture mechanism of the tensile and compressive specimen was investigated by Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). A Pin-on-Disk (POD) tribotester was used to determine the wear rate (WR) and specific wear rate (SWR) of the composites. The test was carried out in a dry sliding condition of varying load of 10N, 30N and 50 N corresponding to a constant sliding distance & sliding speed of 1000 m and 1 m/s respectively and the worn surface of the pin is examined by SEM after the test.
MMC, Mg Alloy, TiC, XRD, SEM, Wear.
- Chelliah N M, Singh H & Surappa M K, Correlation between microstructure and wear behavior of AZX915 Mg-alloy reinforced with 12 wt% TiC particles by stir-casting process, J. Magnesium Alloys, 4(4) (2016) 306-313.
- Zhang C L, Wang X J, Wang X M, Hu X S & Wu K, Fabrication, microstructure and mechanical properties of Mg matrix composites reinforced by high volume fraction of sphere TC4 particles, J. Magnesium Alloys, 4(4) (2016) 286-294.
- Anasori B, El’ad N C & Barsoum M W, Fabrication and mechanical properties of pressureless melt infiltrated magnesium alloy composites reinforced with TiC and Ti2AlC particles, Mater. Sci. Eng., A, 618 (2014) 511-522.
- Aatthisugan I, Rose A R & Jebadurai D S, Mechanical and wear behaviour of AZ91D magnesium matrix hybrid composite reinforced with boron carbide and graphite, J. Magnesium Alloys, 5(1) (2017) 20-25.
- Mehra D, Mahapatra M M & Harsha S P, Processing of RZ5-10wt% TiC in-situ magnesium matrix composite, J. Magnesium Alloys, 6(1) (2018) 100-105.
- Nguyen Q B, Sim Y H, Gupta M & Lim C Y, Tribology characteristics of magnesium alloy AZ31B and its composites, Tribology International, 82 (2015) 464-471.
- Narayanasamy P & Selvakumar N, Tensile, compressive and wear behaviour of self-lubricating sintered magnesium based composites, Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China, 27(2) (2017) 312-323.
- García-Rodríguez S, Torres B, Maroto A, López A J, Otero E & Rams J, Dry sliding wear behavior of globular AZ91 magnesium alloy and AZ91/SiCp composites, Wear, 390 (2017) 1-10.
- Meenashisundaram G K & Gupta M, Synthesis and characterization of high performance low volume fraction TiC reinforced Mg nanocomposites targeting biocompatible/structural applications, Mater. Sci. Eng., A, 627 (2015) 306-315.
- Rashad M, Pan F, Asif M, She J & Ullah A, Improved mechanical proprieties of “magnesium based composites” with titanium–aluminum hybrids, J. Magnesium Alloys, 3(1) (2015) 1-9.
- Ponraj NV, Azhagurajan A, Vettivel SC. Microstructure, consolidation and mechanical behaviour of Mg/n-TiC composite, Alex. Eng. J, 55(3) (2016) 2077-2086.
- Akinwekomi A D, Law W C, Tang C Y, Chen L & Tsui C P, Rapid microwave sintering of carbon nanotube-filled AZ61 magnesium alloy composites, Compos. B Eng., 93 (2016) 302-309.
- Bhingole P P, Chaudhari G P & Nath S K, Processing, microstructure and properties of ultrasonically processed in situ MgO–Al2O3–MgAl2O4 dispersed magnesium alloy composites, Compos. Part A Appl. Sci. Manuf., 66 (2014) 209-217.
- Esmaily M, Mortazavi N, Svensson J E, Halvarsson M, Wessén M, Johansson L G & Jarfors A E, A new semi-solid casting technique for fabricating SiC-reinforced Mg alloys matrix composites, Compos. B Eng., 94 (2016) 176-189.
Abstract Views: 1
PDF Views: 0