Open Access Subscription Access
Low Latency Prefix Accumulation Driven Compound MAC Unit for Efficient FIR Filter Implementation
This article presents hierarchical single compound adder-based MAC with assertion based error correction for speculation variations in the prefix addition for FIR filter design. The VLSI implementation of approximation in prefix adder results show a significant delay and complexity reductions, all this at the cost of latency measures when speculation fails during carry propagation, which is the main reason preventing the use of speculation in parallel-prefix adders in DSP applications. The speculative adder which is based on Han Carlson parallel prefix adder structure accomplishes better reduction in latency. Introducing a structured and efficient shift-add technique and explore latency reduction by incorporating approximation in addition. The improvements made in terms of reduction in latency and merits in performance by the proposed MAC unit are showed through the synthesis done by FPGA hardware. Results show that proposed method outpaces both formerly projected MAC designs using multiplication methods for attaining high speed.
Multiply Accumulate (MAC) Unit, Distributed Arithmetic, Fir Filter, Compound Adder.
- Nikolaidis S, Karaolis E & Kyriakis-Bitzaros E D, Estimation of signal transition activity in FIR filters implemented by a MAC architecture, IEEE Trans Comput-Aided Design Integr Circuits Syst, 19 (1) (2000)164-169.
- Amaricai A,Vladutiu M & Boncalo O, Design issues and implementations for floating-point divide–add fused, IEEE Trans Circuits Syst II, Exp Briefs, 57 (4) (2010) 295-299.
- Peymandoust A & De Micheli G, Using symbolic algebra in algorithmic level DSP synthesis, Proc 38th annual Design Automation Conference, (2002) 277-282.
- Jaberipur G & Gorgin S, An improved maximally redundant signed digit adder, Comp Elect Engg, 36 (3) (2010) 491-502.
- Lu S L, Speeding up processing with approximation circuits, Computer, 37 (3) (2004) 67-73. 6 Koren I, Computer arithmetic algorithms, A K Peters, Natic, MA, 2nd Edition, (2002).
- Brent R P, & Kung H T, A regular layout for parallel adders, IEEE trans Comp, 31 (4) (1982) 260-264.
- Miljanović M Ninkov T Sušić, Z & Tucikesic S, Forecasting geodetic measurements using finite impulse response artificial neural networks, Ind J Geo Marine Sci, 46 (9) (2017), 1743-1750.
- Tiwari H D Gankhuya G Kim C M & Cho Y B, Multiplier design based on ancient Indian Vedic Mathematics, So C Design IEEE Conference, 2(2008) 11-65.
- Daud NG N, Hashim F R, Mustapha M & Badruddin M S, Hybrid modified booth encoded algorithm-carry save adder fast multiplier, Inform Comm Tech, (2014)1-6.
- Pari J B & Rani SP, Reconfigurable architecture of RNS based high speed FIR filter, Ind J Eng & Mater Sci, 21 (2) (2014), 233-240.
- Jyothi G N & Sriadibhatla S, ASIC implementation of low power, area efficient adaptive fir filter using pipelined DA, Electromagn and Telecommun, (2019), 385-394.
Abstract Views: 1
PDF Views: 0