Open Access Subscription Access
Fresh-Water Fossil Algae from The Eocene Lignite of Barsinghsar near Bikaner, Rajasthan, India
The lignite deposits at Barsinghsar in Rajasthan possess almost all plant groups either in the form of spores and portions or fragmented portions of vegetative and fertile forms. The present paper reports the occurrence microscopers of green algae belonging to the genera Closterium Nitzsch, Hydrodictyon Roth and Volvox L. from Barsinghsar, a Eocene lignite site near Bikaner. Palaeoecological conditions during Eocene in Rajasthan is also described.
Alga, Barsinghsar, Closterium, Eocene, Hydrodictyon, India, Lignite, Rajasthan, Volvox.
- AMBWANI, A.K. AND SINGH, R.S. 1996. Clavadiporopollenites raneriensis gen. et. sp. nov. from the tertiary sediments of Bikaner district, Rajasthan, India. Palaeobotanist 43: 139– 142.
- HARSH, R. AND SHEKHAWAT, S. 2018. Hitherto Unreported Alga, Chara (C. palanense) sp. nov. from the Eocene Lignite of Barsinghsar near Bikaner, Rajasthan, India. Bionature 38(4): 225–231.
- HARSH, R. AND SHARMA, B.D. 1992. Chemistry of an extinct wood from Palana lignite (Bikaner) Rajasthan. Ind. J. Earth Sci. 19: (1) 50–52.
- KAR, R.K. AND SHARMA, P. 2001. Palynostratigraphy of late palaeocene and early Eocene sediments of Rajasthan, India. Palaeontographica Abt. B 256: 123–157.
- KAR, R.K. 1995. Some new spore-pollen genera from early Eocene sediments of Rajasthan. J. of Palynol. 31: 161–170.
- RAO, A.R. AND VIMAL, K.P. 1950. Plant microfossils from Palana lignite (Eocene), Bikaner. Curr. Sci. 19: 82–84.
- RAO, A.R. AND VIMAL, K.P. 1952. Tertiary pollen from lignites from Palana (Eocene), Bikaner. Proc. Natn. Inst. Sci. India. 18: 596–601.
- RAO, S.R.N. AND MISRA, S.S. 1949. An oil-bearing alga from the Palana lignite (Eocene) of Rajputana. Curr. Sci.18: 380– 381.
- SAH, S.C.D. AND KAR, R.K. 1974. Palynology of the Tertiary sediments of Palana, Rajasthan. Palaeobotanist. 21: 163– 188.
- SINGH, R.Y. AND DOGRA, N.N. 1988. Palynological zonation of palaeocene of India with special reference to western Rajasthan. In: Maheshwari HK (Editor) - Palaeocene of India: Proceeding of the Symposium on Palaeocene of India: Limits and subdivisions 1986: 51–64. Indian Association of Palynostratigraphes, Lucknow.
- TRIPATHI, R.P. AND SHARMA, B.D. 1996. Pteridophytic microfossils from Eocene lignite deposits of Rajasthan. Indian fern J. 13: 30–39.
- TRIPATHI, R.P. AND SHARMA, B.D. 1997. Megaspores from the lignite of Rajasthan. J. Palynol. 33:181–184.
- TRIPATHI, R.P., SHRIVASTAVA, K.L. AND SHARMA, B.D. 1998. Plant microfossils from the lignite deposit (Eocene) of Barsinghsar in Bikaner district, Rajasthan, India; Palaeobotanist 47: 110–115.
Abstract Views: 30
PDF Views: 2