Work Related Musculoskeletal Disorders in Defence Personnel Involved in Heavy Engineering Maintenance
Background: Work-related Musculoskeletal disorder (WMSDs) are multifactorial occupational disorders, having high morbidity and economic cost. Heavy engineering maintenance personnel involved in manual material handling, physical load with awkward posture poses high risk of WMSDs. Objectives: This study investigates the prevalence of work-related Musculoskeletal disorder (WMSD) among Indian defence personnel involved in heavy engineering maintenance work. Setting and Design: A cross-sectional survey was conducted with participant consents. Materials and Methods: 379 defence personnel involved in heavy engineering maintenance task were assessed for WMSDs, using NMQ. The effect of risk factors such as age, working hours, BMI, smoking and type of job on WMSDs was analysed. Statistical Analysis: Data analysis was done using using logistic regression with SPSS version 14. Results: 67.54 % personnel (N=379) reported WMSDs with total of 704 WMSDs. 51.45% reported multiple WMSDs and 16.09% had single WMSDs. Highest WMSDs were reported in low back (44.85%), followed by knee (28.23%), elbow/forearm (15.83%), ankle/foot (22.95%), shoulder (18.46%), upper back (18.46%), neck (15.83%) and wrist/fingers (12.92%). Long working hours (p=0. 000; OR=1.83, 1.58-2.12) and smoking habits (p=0.000; OR=5.52, 3.43-8.48) are significantly correlated with WMSDs. Automobile me chanics (p=.045; OR=2.64, 95% CI=1.04-6.72) and welders (p= 0.034; OR =2.32, 95% CI = 1.21 – 4.36) are at higher risk of WMSDs. Conclusion: There is a high prevalence of WMSDs among Indian defence mechanics. It is suggested that ergonomics training is required for maintenance workers. The detrimental effect of smoking is also noted with the prevalence of WMSDs.
- Cihan A, Esen H, Fıg A, Yılmaz MK. Image processing-aided working posture analysis : I-OWAS. Comput Ind Eng. 2015; 85: 384–94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2015.03.011
- Choi WJ, Kang YJ, Kim JY, Han SH. Symptom prevalence of musculoskeletal disorders and the effects of prior acute injury among aging male steelworkers. J Occup Health. 2009; 51(3): 273–82. https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.O8025
- Baba Md Deros, Dian Darina Indah Daruis IMB. A Study on Ergonomic Awareness among Workers Performing Manual Material Handling Activities. Procedia - Soc Behav Sci [Internet]. 2015; 195: 1666–73. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.06.238
- Leggat PA, Smith DR. Military training and musculoskeletal disorders. J Musculoskelatal Pain. 2007; 15(2): 25–32. https://doi.org/10.1300/J094v15n02_06
- Punnett L, Wegman DH. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders: The epidemiologic evidence and the debate. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2004;14(1): 13–23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2003.09.015
- Yong E. Global Estimates of Occupational Accidents and Workrelated Illnesses 2014. 2014;
- Niu S. Ergonomics and occupational safety and health : An ILO perspective q. Appl Ergon [Internet]. 2010; 41(6): 744–53. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2010.03.004
- Ghaffari M, Alipour A, Jensen I, Farshad AA, Vingard E. Low back pain among Iranian industrial workers. Occup Med (Chic Ill). 2006; 56(7): 455–60. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kql062
- Taylor P, Riley JM, Endsley MR, Bolstad CA, Cuevas HM. Collaborative planning and situation awareness in Army command and control Collaborative planning and situation awareness in Army command and control. June 2015: 37–41.
- Kemp PA, Burnham BR, Copley GB, Shim MJ. Injuries to air force personnel associated with lifting, handling, and carrying objects. Am J Prev Med [Internet]. 2010; 38(1 Suppl): S148– 55. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S074937970900662X https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2009.10.011
- Milia, Lee Di, Philip Bohle, Rebecca Loudoun AP. Contemporary research findings in shiftwork. Appl Ergon. 2008; 39(1): 539–40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2008.02.021
- Kaufman KR, Brodine S, Shaffer R. Military training-related injuries: Surveillance, research, and prevention. Am J Prev Med. 2000; 18(3 SUPPL.): 54–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S07493797(00)00114-8
- Knapik JJ. Influence of an injury reduction program on injury and fitness outcomes among soldiers. Inj Prev [Internet]. 2004; 10(1): 37–42. Available from: http://ip.bmj.com/cgi/doi/10.1136/ip.2003.002808 https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.2003.002808
- Jones BH, Knapik JJ. Physical Training and exerse-related injures: Sureillance, Research and Injury Prevention Military Populations. Sport Med. 1999; 298(0704): 111–26. https://doi.org/10.21236/ADA370930
- Swedler DI, Knapik JJ, Williams KW, Grier TL, Jones BH. Risk Factors for Medical Discharge From United States Army Basic Combat Training. Mil Med. 2013; 176(10): 1104–10. https://doi.org/10.7205/MILMED-D-10-00451
- Yancosek KE, Roy T, Erickson M. Rehabilitation programs for musculoskeletal injuries in military personnel. Curr Opin Rheumatol [Internet]. 2012; 24(2): 232–6. Available from: file://localhost/Users/admin/Dropbox/DrPH 2012-2015/DrPH - Citation Manager/DrPH Project.sente6lib/Contents/Attachments/Yancosek/2012/Rehabilitation programs for musculoskeletal injuri.pdf%5Cnhttp://graphics.tx.ovid.com/ovftpdfs/FPDDNCGCBHBDCI00/fs046/ovf
- Mattila VM, Kuronen P, Pihlajam??ki H. Nature and risk factors of injury hospitalization in young adults: A follow-up of 135,987 military conscripts. Scand J Public Health. 2007; 35(4): 418–23.
- Torp S, Riise T, Moen BE. Work-related musculoskeletal symptoms among car mechanics : a descriptive study. Occup Med (Chic Ill). 1996; 46(6): 407–13. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/46.6.407
- Morken T, Mehlum IS, Moen BE. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders in Norway’s offshore petroleum industry. 2007; (January): 112–7. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kql154
- Vincent H. Hildebrandt, Paulien M. Bongers, Jan dul frank J. H. Van Duk HCGK. Identification of high-risk groups among maintenance workers in a steel company with respect to musculoskeletal symptoms and workload. Ergonomics. 1996; 39(2): 232–42. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139608964454
- Delleman NJ. Maintenance Operations: Workstation Adjustment, Working Posture, and Workers’ Perceptions. Int J Occup Saf Ergon [Internet]. 2000; 6(1): 3–46. Available from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10803548.2000.11076442 https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2000.11076442
- Catherine D’Este, John R. Attia, Anthony M. Brown, Richard Gibson, Grad Dip, Robert Gibberd, Meredith Tavener, Maya Guest, Keith Horsley, Warren Harrex JR. Cancer Incidence and Mortality in Aircraft Maintenance Workers. Am J Ind Med. 2008; 51: 16–23. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20540
- Noueira HC, Diniz AC parose, Dechristian França Barbieri, Rosimeire Simprini Padula RLC and AB de O. Musculoskeletal disorders and psychosocial risk factors among workers of the aircraft maintenance industry. Work. 2012; 41: 4801–7. https://doi.org/10.3233/WOR-2012-0767-4801
- Adamo DE, Martin BJ, Johnson PW. Vibration-induced muscle fatigue, a possible contribution to musculoskeletal injury. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002; 88(1–2): 134–40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-002-0660-y
- Road J. Effect of Vibration , Feed Force and Exposure Duration on Opeartors Performing Drilling Task. 2003; (1987): 77–86.
- Inge K, Watten RG, Volden F. Evolutionary adaptations : Theoretical and practical implications for visual ergonomics. Work. 2014; 47: 387–97. https://doi.org/10.3233/WOR-131771
- David Goldsheyder, Shira Schecter Weiner, Margareta Nordin RH. Musculoskeletal symptom survey among cement and concrete workers. Work. 2004; 23: 111–21.
- Morken T, Mehlum IS, Moen BE. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders in Norway’s offshore petroleum industry. Occup Med (Lond). 2007; 57(January): 112–7. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kql154
- Vieira ER, Kumar S, Narayan Y. Smoking, no-exercise, overweight and low back disorder in welders and nurses. Int J Ind Ergon. 2008; 38(2): 143–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ergon.2006.02.001
- T. Morken, B. Moen, T. Riise, O. Bergum, L. Bua, S. H. Vigeland Hauge, f S. Holien, A. Langedrag, H.-O. Olson, S. Pedersen, I. L. Liahjell Saue f GMS and VT. Prevalence of musculoskeletal symptoms among aluminium workers. Occup Med (Chic Ill) [Internet]. 2000; 50(6): 414–21. Available from: http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&PAGE=reference&D=emed5&NE WS=N&AN=2000307681
- Morken T, B.M, T.R, O.B, L.B, S.H.V.H, et al. Prevalence of musculoskeletal symptoms among aluminium workers. Occup Med (Chic Ill). 2000; 50(6): 414–21. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/50.6.414
- Knapik JJ, Sharp MA, Canham-Chervak M, Hauret K, Patton JF, Jones BH. Risk factors for training-related injuries among men and women in basic combat training. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001; 33(6): 946–54. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-20010600000014
- Humphreys BR, Ruseski JE. An Economic Analysis of Participation and Time Spent in Physical Activity. B E J Econom Anal Policy. 2011; 11(1). https://doi.org/10.2202/1935-1682.2522
- Keynes JM. Working Time Around the World. Work Time Around World. 2014; 3(2): 239.
- Pinto MB, N. Stacchini. Low Back Pain in Port Machinery Operators. J Sound Vib [Internet]. 2002; 253(1): 3–20. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022460X01942464. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2001.4246
- Vyas H, Das S, Mehta S. Occupational Injuries in Automobile Repair Workers. Ind Health. 2011; 49: 642–51. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.MS1294
- Nye NS, Pawlak MT, Webber BJ, Tchandja JN, Milner MR. Description and rate of musculoskeletal injuries in air force basic military trainees, 2012-2014. J Athl Train. 2016; 51(11): 858–65.
- Majumdar D, Pal MS, Majumdar D. Effects of military load carriage on kinematics of gait. Ergonomics. 2010; 53(6): 782–91. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140131003672015
- Sharma S. Occupational stress in the armed forces: An Indian army perspective. IIMB Manag Rev [Internet]. 2015;27(3):185– 95. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.iimb.2015.06.002.
- Moshiro C, Heuch I, Astrom AN, Setel P, Kvale G. Effect of recall on estimation of non-fatal injury rates: A community based study in Tanzania. Inj Prev. 2005; 11(1): 48–52. https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.2004.005645
Abstract Views: 8
PDF Views: 2