Seasonal Variation in Length-weight Relationship, Condition Factor and Biological Indices of Snow Trout, Schizothorax esocinus (Heckel, 1838) Inhabiting River Jhelum of Kashmir Himalaya
The present study encompasses studies on the seasonal variation in various biological parameters of snow trout, Schizothorax esocinus collected from River Jhelum. The exponent ‘b’ of the length-weight relationship depicted positive allometric growth type. Condition factor (K) was significantly (P<0.05) highest in autumn while lowest values were observed in spring and winter. Gonadosomatic Index (GSI) in both sexes was significantly (P<0.05) highest during the spring season (spawning phase) while the lowest value was observed during summer season (spent phase). Hepatosomatic Index (HSI) was significantly (P<0.05) highest in both sexes during the autumn season while as the lowest value was observed during winter season. The study provides information on health status and reproductive cycle of S. esocinus that could help in augmenting the production along with development of appropriate conservation and management strategies.
- Singh A. Major challenges through the transforming coldwater fisheries in India. Coldwater Fisheries Society of India. 2018; 1(1):1–3.
- Heckel JJ. Fische aus Caschmir gesammelt und herausgegeben von Carl Freiherrn von Hugel, beschrieben von JJ Heckel. Wien 1838; p. 1–112.
- Zare P, Moodi S, Masudinodushan J, Abdoli A. Lengthweight and length-length relationships of three fish species (Cyprinidae) from Chahnimeh reservoirs, Zabol, in eastern Iran. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 2011; 27:1425–26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0426.2011.01812.x
- Moutopoulos DK, Stergiou KI. Length-weight and lengthlength relationships of fish species from the Aegean Sea (Greece). Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 2002; 18(3):200– 03. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0426.2002.00281.x
- Saleh HM, Ali RA. Gonadosomatic Index (GSI), Hepatosomatic Index (HSI), Condition Factor (K) and Length-weight Relationship (LWR) in Epinephelus guaza inhabiting Susa Coast, EL-Gabal AL-Akhadar, Libya. EPH Journal. 2019; 1(1):317–26.
- De Giosa M, Czerniejewski P, Rybczyk A. Seasonal changes in condition factor and weight-length relationship of invasive Carassius gibelio (Bloch, 1782) from Leszczynskie Lakeland, Poland. Advances in Zoology. 2014; Article id: 678763:1–7. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/678763
- Solanki HG, Kumar P, Bhatt JH, Pillai SM, Patil RG, Arasu ART. Length-weight relationship of Asian seabass Lates calcarifer Bloch, 1790 reared in pond. Indian Journal of Fisheries. 2013; 60:131–33.
- Ma BS, Xie CX, Huo B, Yang XF, Huang HP. Age and growth of a long-lived fish Schizothorax o’connori in the Yarlung Tsangpo River, Tibet. Zoological studies. 2010; 49(6):749–59.
- Vazzoler AEAM. Biologia da reproducao de peixes teleosteos: teoria e pratica. Maringa: Eduem;1996. p. 169.
- Kreiner A, Van Der Lingen CD, Freon P. A comparison of condition factor and gona dosomatic index of sardine Sardinops sagax stocks in the northern and southern Benguela upwelling ecosystems, 1984-1999. South African Journal of Marine Science. 2001; 23:123–34. https://doi.org/10.2989/025776101784528791
- de Souza Braga FM. Feeding and condition factor of charcid fish in the Ribeirao Grande System, South eastern Brazil. Acta Scientiarum Biological Sciences. 2005; 27(3):271–6. https://doi.org/10.4025/actascibiolsci.v27i3.1336
- Kumolu-Johnson CA, Ndimele PE. Length-weight relationships and condition factors of twenty-one fish species in Ologe Lagoon, Lagos, Nigeria. Asian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 2010; 2(4):174–79.
- Le Cren ED. The length-weight relationship and seasonal cycle in gonad weight and condition in the perch (Perca fluviatilis). The Journal of Animal Ecology. 1951; 201–19. https://doi.org/10.2307/1540
- Jones RE, Petrell RJ, Pauly, D. Using modified length-weight relationships to assess the condition of fish. Aquacultural Engineering Society. 1999; 20(4):261–76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0144-8609(99)00020-5
- Anene A. Condition factor of four Cichlid species of a man-made lake in Imo State, Southeastern Nigeria. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 2005; 5(1):43–47.
- Bervian G, Fontoura NF, Haimovici M. Statistical model of variable allometric growth: Otolith growth in Micropogonias furnieri (Actinopterygii, Sciaenidae). Journal of Fish Biology. 2006; 68(1):196–208. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-1112.2006.00890.x
- Fontoura NF, Jesus AS, Larre GG, Porto JR. Can weight/ length relationship predict size at first maturity? A case study with two species of Characidae. Neotropical Ichthyology. 2010; 8(4):835–40. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1679-62252010005000013
- Gutierrez-Estrada JC, Pulido-Calvo I, Prenda J. Gonadosomatic index estimates of an introduced pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus) population in a Mediterranean stream, using computational neural networks. Aquatic Sciences. 2000; 62(4):350–63. https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00001340
- Lucifora LO, Menni RC, Escalante AH. Reproductive ecology and abundance of the sand tiger shark, Carcharias taurus, from the southwestern Atlantic. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 2002; 59(3):553–61. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2002.1183
- Amtyaz KM, Khan MZ, Hashmi MUA. Studies on Gonadosomatic Index and Stages of Gonadal Development of Striped piggy fish, Pomadasys stridens (Forsskal, 1775) (Family; Pomadasyidae) of Karachi Coast, Pakistan. Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies. 2013; 1(5):28–31.
- Lenhardt M, Jaric I, Cakic P, Cvijanovic G, Gacic Z, Kolarevic J. Seasonal changes in condition, hepatosomatic index and parasitism in sterlet (Acipenser ruthenus L.). Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences. 2009; 33(3):209–14.
- Arukwe A, Goksoyr A. Eggshell and egg yolk proteins in fish: Hepatic proteins for the next generation: oogenetic, population, and evolutionary implications of endocrine disruption. Comparative Hepatology. 2003; 2(4):1-21. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-5926-2-4 PMid:12685931. PMCid:PMC153486
- Alonso-Fernandez A, Saborido-Rey F. Relationship between energy allocation and reproductive strategy in Trisopterus luscus. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 2012; 416:8–16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2012.02.001
- Kullander SO, Fang F, Delling B, Ahlander E. The fishes of the Kashmir Valley. In River Jhelum, Kashmir Valley: Impact on the Aquatic Environment. (L. Nyman, ed.) Swedmar, Sewden. 1999; p. 99–162.
- Htun-han M. The reproductive biology of the dab Limanda limanda (L) in the North Sea; gonadosomatic index, hepatosomatic index and condition factor. Journal of Fish Biology. 1978; 13:369–78. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1978.tb03445.x
- Duncan DB. Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometrics. 1955; 11(1):1–42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Anderson RO. Length, weight and associated structural indices. Fisheries techniques. 1996.
- Froese R. Cube law, condition factor and weight-length relationships: history, meta-analysis and recommendations. Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 2006; 22(4):241–53. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.14390426.2006.00805.x
- Gubiani EA, Gomes LC, Agostinho AA. Length-length and length-weight relationships for 48 fish species from reservoirs of the Parana State, Brazil. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management. 2009; 14:289–99. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1770.2009.00411.x
- Jobling M. Environmental factors and rates of development and growth. Handbook of fish biology and fisheries. 2002; 1:97–122. https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470693803.ch5
- Pauly D. Fish population dynamics in tropical waters: a manual for use with programmable calculators. ICLARM Studies and Reviews 8. ICLARM, Manila, Philippines; 1984.
- Wootton JT. Indirect effects, prey susceptibility, and habitat selection: Impacts of birds on limpets and algae. Ecology. 1992; 73:981–91. https://doi.org/10.2307/1940174
- Salgado-Ugarte IH. Nonparametric methods for fisheries data analysis and their application in conjunction with other statistical techniques to study biological data of the Japanese sea bass Lateolabrax japonicus in Tokyo Bay. Ph.D. in Aquatic Bioscience Thesis, Laboratory of Fisheries Biology, University of Tokyo, Japan. 1995.
- Pena-Mendoza B, Gomez-Marquez JL, Salgado-Ugarte IH, Ramirez-Noguera D. Reproductive biology of Oreochromis niloticus (Perciformes: Cichlidae) at Emiliano Zapata dam, Morelos, Mexico. Revista de Biologia Tropical. 2005; 53(34):22-515. https://doi.org/10.15517/rbt.v53i3-4.14666. PMid:17354460
- Freitas TMDS, Almeida VHDC, Montag LFDA, Rocha RMD, Fontoura NF. Seasonal changes in the gonadossomatic index, allometric condition factor and sex ratio of an auchenipterid catfish from eastern Amazonia. Neotropical Ichthyology. 2011; 9(4):839–47. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1679-62252011005000044
- Zabihy M, Pourkazemi M, Kazemi R, Kamali A. Determination spawning season and changes in
- reproduction cycle of Schizothorax zarudnyi and condition factor in Hamoon Lake. Iranian Scientific Fisheries Journal. 2004; 12(4):41–56.
- Yeldan H, Avsar D. A preliminary study on the reproduction of the rabbit fish Siganus rivulatus (Forsskal.1775) in the North eastern Mediterranean. Turkish Journal of Zoology. 2000; 24:173–82.
- Shafat S, Bhat FA, Balkhi MH, Najar AM, Mudasir H. Reproductive traits of Schizothorax niger (Heckel, 1838) in Dal Lake, Kashmir. SKUAST J. Res. 2016; 18(2):138–45.
- Jan M, Jan U, Shah GM. Studies on fecundity and Gonadosomatic index of Schizothorax plagiostomus (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae). Journal of Threatened Taxa. 2014; 6(1):5375–79. https://doi.org/10.11609/JoTT.o3269.5375-9
- Saint-Paul U. Investigations on the seasonal changes in the chemical composition of liver and condition from a neotropical characoid fish Colossoma macropomum (Serrasalmidae). Amazoniana: Limnologia et Oecologia Regionalis Systematis Fluminis Amazonas. 1984; 9(1): 147–58.
Abstract Views: 8
PDF Views: 2