Open Access Subscription Access
Review Paper on Surface Water-Quality Assessment of Chitravati River after the Establishment of Check- Dam in Puttaparthi, Andhra Pradesh
Puttaparthi is a birthplace of Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba and is a small town situated in the district of Anantapur, in Andhra Pradesh. Chitravathi River is the main water-body in Puttaparthi. The river remained dry for many years. Only in the recent years, rainfall events fed water to the river. Last year in 2019 a check-dam was also constructed in Puttaparthi due to which the river water has been stagnant. This review paper aims to assess the surface water quality of the Chitravati River in Puttaparthi after the establishment of the check-dam. In this regard, literature reviews were performed and the paragraphs in the literature reviews were arranged as per three major themes, which are: 1. check-dams, 2. water-quality assessment and monitoring, and 3. non-perennial river systems. By examining these three themes through the literature reviews, key inferences were made. For instance, it can be understood that the check-dam in Puttaparthi is an important water-storage structure, which is likely to have both positive and negative impacts upon the nearby region. Secondly, in order to examine water-bodies like the Chitravati River in Puttaparthi, we have to perform water quality assessment and monitoring. To perform water quality assessment and monitoring for the Chitravati River in Puttaparthi; we have to use important tools like the Water Quality Index (WQI), Water Pollution Index (WPI), and Water Poverty Index (WPI). Thirdly, non-perennial river systems such as intermittent rivers, ephemeral rivers and their key features have been stressed upon by several readings. These are river systems where a river ceases to flow for some months or for several yearas. The Chitravati River in Puttaparthi can be appropriately classified as a non-perennial river system and as an intermittent river. Finally, this review paper concludes through a personal reflection, which stresses upon studying the Chitravati River in Puttaparthi and how the literature reviews will help in this regard.
Check-Dams, Ephemeral Rivers, Intermittent Rivers, Non-Perennial Rivers, Perennial Rivers, Physicochemical Parameters, Water Pollution Index, Water Poverty Index, Water Quality Index
- Abbasi NA, Xu X, Lucas-Borja ME, Dangc W, Liu B, The use of check dams in watershed management projects: Examples from around the world. Science of the Total Environment. 2019; 676:683-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.04.249. PMid: 31054413.
- Ali Khan MY, Gani KM, Chakrapani GJ. Assessment of surface water quality and its spatial variation. A case study of Ramganga River, Ganga Basin, India. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. December 2015; 9(28). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-015-2134-7.
- Ali Khan MY, Khan B, Chakrapani GJ. Assessment of spatial variations in water quality of Garra River at Shahjahanpur, Ganga Basin, India. Arab Journal of Geosciences. June 2016; 9(516). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-016-2551-2.
- Allen DC, Kopp DA, Costigan KH, Datry T, Hugueny B, et al. Citizen scientists document long-term stream flow declines in intermittent rivers of the desert southwest USA. Freshwater Science. March 2019; 38(2). https://doi.org/10.1086/701483.
- Alvarez BL, De Leon GS, Ramos Leal JA, Ramirez JM. Water Poverty Index in Subtropical Zones: The Case of Huasteca Potosina, Mexico. Rev. Int. Contam. Ambie. 2015; 31(2):173-84.
- Atique U, An KG. Stream health evaluation using a combined approach of multi-metric chemical pollution and biological integrity models. Water. May 2018; 10(661):126. https://doi.org/10.3390/w10050661.
- Dashora Y, Dillon P, Maheshwari B, et al. A simple method using farmers’ measurements applied to estimate check dam recharge in Rajasthan, India. Sustain. Water Resour. Manag. 2017; 4(2):301-16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40899017-0185-5.
- Day JA, Malan HL, Malijani E, Abegunde AP. Water quality in non-perennial rivers. Water SA. June 2019; 45. https://doi.org/10.17159/wsa/2019.v45.i3.6746.
- Diez IR, Hevia JN, Fernandez RSM, Manso JM. Final analysis of the accuracy and precision of methods to calculate the sediment retained by check dams. Land Degradation and Development. August 2017; 28(8). https://doi.org/10.1002/ldr.2778.
- Ebersole JL, Wigington PJ Jr, Leibowitz SG, Comeleo RL, Sickle JV. Predicting the occurrence of cold-water patches at intermittent and ephemeral tributary confluences with warm rivers. Freshwater Science. 2015; 34(1). https://doi.org/10.1086/678127.
- Effendi H. River water quality preliminary rapid assessment using pollution index. Procedia Environmental Sciences. 2016; 33:562-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2016.03.108.
- Garriga RG, Foguet AP. The water poverty index: Assessing water scarcity at different scales. II Congrés UPC Sustainable; 2015. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228621973_The_Water_Poverty_Index_ Assessing_water_scarcity_at_different_scales.
- Glarou M, Vourka A, Vardakas L, Andriopoulou A, Skoulikidis N, Kalogianni E. Plasticity in life history traits of a cyprinid fish in an intermittent river. Knowledge and Management of Aquatic Ecosystems. 2019; 420(25). https://doi.org/10.1051/kmae/2019015.
- Goodrich DC, Kepner WG, Levick LR, Wigington PJ Jr. Southwestern Intermittent and Ephemeral stream connectivity. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA). 2018; 54(2):400-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/1752-1688.12636.
- Hassan T, Parveen S, Bhat BN, Ahmad U. Seasonal variations in water quality parameters of River Yamuna, India. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 2017; 6(5):694-712, https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2017.605.079.
- Hwan JL, Carlson SM. Fragmentation of an intermittent stream during seasonal drought: Intra-annual and interannual patterns and biological consequences. River Research and Applications. April 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.2907.
- Joodi N, Satyanarayana SV. Design of check dam for effective utilization of the Aflaj water resources. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development. April 2015; 2(4):446-49.
- Jubaedah D, Hariyadi S, Muchsin I, Kamal MM. Water quality index of Floodplain River Lubuk Lampam South Sumatera Indonesia. International Journal of Environmental Science and Development. April 2015; 6(4). https://doi.org/10.7763/IJESD.2015.V6.600.
- Kaletova T, Loures L, Castanho RA, Aydin E, Gama JT, et al. Relevance of Intermittent Rivers and streams in agricultural landscape and their impact on provided ecosystem services- A Mediterranean case study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. July 2019; 16(2693). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16152693. PMid: 31357719, PMCid: PMC6696347.
- Karaouzas I, Theodoropoulos C, Vardakas L, Kalogianni E, Skoulikidis NT. A review of the effects of pollution and water scarcity on the stream biota of an intermittent Mediterranean basin. River Research and Applications. January 2018; 34;291-99. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.3254.
- Leigh C, Boulton AJ, Courtwright JL, Fritz K, May CL, et al. Ecological research and management of intermittent rivers: an historical review and future directions. Freshwater Biology. July 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/fwb.12646.
- Li R, Zou Z, An Y. Water quality assessment in Qu River based on fuzzy water pollution index method. Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2016; 50:87-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jes.2016.03.030. PMid: 28034435.
- Magadum A, Patel T, Gavali D. Assessment of physicochemical parameters and water quality index of Vishwamitri River, Gujarat, India. International Journal of Environment, Agriculture and Biotechnology (IJEAB). August 2017; 2(4). https://doi.org/10.22161/ijeab/2.4.8.
- Mathers KL, Stubbington R, Leeming D, Westwood C, England J. Structural and functional responses of macroinvertebrate assemblages to long-term flow variability at perennial and non-perennial sites. Ecohydrology. May 2019; 1-14.
- Mazzorana B, Platzer HT, Heiser M, Hubl J. Quantifying the damage susceptibility to extreme events of mountain stream check dams using Rough Set Analysis. Journal of Flood Risk Management. December 2017. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfr3.12333.
- Meshram D, Gorantiwar SD, Wadne SS, Arun Kumar KC. Planning, designing and construction of series of check dams for soil and water conservation in a microwatershed of Gujarat, India. In: Pravat S., Pourghasemi H., Bhunia G. (eds) Gully Erosion Studies from India and Surrounding Regions. Advances in Science, Technology and Innovation (IEREK Interdisciplinary Series for Sustainable Development). Springer, Cham; 2019.
- Misaghi F, Delgosha F, Razzaghmanesh M, Myers B. Introducing a water quality index for assessing water for irrigation purposes: A case study of the Ghezel Ozan River. Science of the Total Environment. 2017; 589:10716. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.02.226. PMid: 28273593.
- Mishra S, Kumar A, Shukla P. Study of water quality in Hindon River using pollution index and environmetrics, India. Desalination and Water Treatment. October 2015; 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2015.1098570.
- Naubi I, Zardari NH, Shirazi SM, et al. Effectiveness of water quality index for monitoring Malaysian River water quality. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. January 2016; 25(1). https://doi.org/10.15244/pjoes/60109.
- Nichols MH, Polyakov VO, Nearing MA, Hernandez M. Semiarid Watershed response to low-tech porous rock check dams. Soil Science. July 2016; 181(7):275-82. https://doi.org/10.1097/SS.0000000000000160.
- Norman LM, Brinkerhoff F, William EG, Guertin DP, Callegary J, Goodrich DC, Nagler PL, Gray F. Hydrologic response of streams restored with check dams in the chiricahua mountains. Arizona, River Research and Applications. March 2015; 32:519-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.2895.
- Nour C, Sleiman H, Tacnet JM. Degradation analysis and preventive maintenance modelling and assessment for improved resilience of critical infrastructures- application to torrent checkdams. Critical Services Continuity, Resilience and Security. May 2019.
- Oke AO, Are KS, Adelana AO. Hydrological potential of Ephemeral Rivers and streams for water harvesting using micro check-dam technology in Ogun Watershed, SouthWestern Nigeria; January 2015. P. 1-16.
- Parimalarenganayaki S, Elango L. Is managed aquifer recharge by check dam benefitting the society? A case study. Water and Energy International. February 2016; 58r(10):47-54.
- Piton G, Carladous S, Recking A, Tacnet JM, Liebault F, Kuss D, Queffelean Y, Marco O. Why do we build check dams in Alpine streams? An historical perspective from the French experience. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. June 2016; 42:91-108. https://doi.org/10.1002/esp.3967.
- Riyadi A, Rachmansyah A, Yanuwiadi B. Water pollution index approaches in spatial planning in city tourism area (Case Study: Malang Area). Journal of Indonesian Tourism and Development Studies. 2018; 6(2). https://doi.org/10.21776/ub.jitode.2018.006.02.09.
- Robichaud PR, Storrar KA, Wagenbrenner JW. Effectiveness of straw bale check dams at reducing post-fire sediment yields from steep ephemeral channels. Science of the Total Environment. August 2019; 676:721-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.04.246. PMid: 31054416.
- Robinson, Matthew D. Development of biological indicators for the dry phase of non-perennial rivers and streams. SNS Master’s Theses. 2019; 41. https://digitalcommons.csumb.edu/sns_theses/41.
- Roy R, Majumder M. Comparison of surface water quality to land use: A case study from Tripura. India, Desalination and Water Treatment. July 2017; 85:147-53. https://doi.org/10.5004/dwt.2017.21259.
- Sefton CEM, Parry S, England J, Angell G. Visualising and quantifying the variability of hydrological state in intermittent rivers. Fundam. Appl. Limnol. July 2019; 193(1):21-38, https://doi.org/10.1127/fal/2019/1149.
- Sener S, Sener E, Davraz A. Evaluation of water quality Using Water Quality Index (WQI) method and GIS in Aksu River (SW- Turkey). Science of the Total Environment. 2017; 584(585):131-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. scitotenv.2017.01.102. PMid: 28147293.
- Shalamzari MJ, Zhang W. Assessing water scarcity using the Water Poverty Index (WPI) in Golestan Province of Iran. Water. August 2018; 10(1079). https://doi.org/10.3390/w10081079.
- Sharma S, Walia YK. Water quality assessment of River Beas during winter season in Himachal Pradesh, India. Current World Environment. January 2016; 11(1):194-203. https://doi.org/10.12944/CWE.11.1.24.
- Silva M, Costa S, Canelas RB, Pinheiro AN, Cardoso AH. Experimental and numerical study of Slit-Check Dams. International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning. 2016; 11(2):107-18. https://doi.org/10.2495/SDP-V11-N2-107-118.
- Skoulikidis TN, Sabater S, Datry T, Morais M, Buffagni A, et al. Non-perennial Mediterranean Rivers in Europe: Status, pressures, and challenges for research and management. Science of the Total Environment. 2017; 577:1-18.
- https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.10.147. PMid: 27810301.
- Sodnik J, Martinčič M, Mikoš M, Kryžanowski A. Are Torrent Check-Dams Potential Debris-Flow Sources? In: Lollino G. et al. (eds) Engineering Geology for Society and Territory, Volume 2. Springer, Cham; 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-09057-3_79.
- Thakur JK, Neupane M, Mohanan AA. Water poverty in upper Bagmati River Basin in Nepal. Water Science. 2017; 31(1):93-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wsj.2016.12.001.
- Troyer ND, Mereta ST, Goethals Peter LM, Boets P. Water quality assessment of streams and wetlands in a fast growing East African City. Water. 2016; 8(123):1-21. https://doi.org/10.3390/w8040123.
- Yadav KK, Gupta N, Kumar V, Sharma S, Arya S. Water quality assessment of Pahuj River using water quality index at Unnao Balaji, M.P., India. International Journal of Sciences. Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR). December 2014; 19(1):241-50. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270281530_Water_Quality_Assessment_of_Pahuj_River_using_Water_Quality_Index_at_Unnao_ Balaji_MP_India.
- Zou YH, Chen XQ. Effectiveness and efficiency of slotcheck dam system on debris flow control. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences. September 2015; 3. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhessd-35777-2015.
Abstract Views: 8
PDF Views: 3