Evaluation of LD50 of Fenvalerate in Male Wistar Rats by Miller and Tainter Method
The principal aim of the present study was to evaluate median lethal dose (LD50) of fenvalerate, a synthetic pyrethroid (Type II) insecticide, in male Wistar rats. Median lethal dose (LD50) is defined as the dose which is lethal and proved to cause death in half of the experimental group of animals after specified test duration. The LD50 is a standardized measure for expressing and comparing the toxicity of chemicals. This test is proved to be an initial screening phase for the evaluation, measurement and comparing of the acute toxicity of a chemical. Fenvalerate dissolved in groundnut oil was administered to 5 different groups of animals (10 animals in each group) as a single dose by oral intubation. Based on the pilot study the selected doses of fenvalerate were 400,425,450,475 and 500mg/kg b.wt. for male rats. The animals were kept under observation for any type of toxic symptoms and death in 96 hours. The percentage of dead animals after 96 hours was calculated, which was then transformed into probits for the estimation of median lethal dose (LD50). In this study, the calculated median lethal dose (LD50) of fenvalerate dissolved in groundnut oil was found to be 434.51±29.90 mg/kg b.wt. in Wistar rats. In sub-chronic and chronic studies, this data is very helpful for the establishment pf the dosage regimen.
- Aktar MW, Sengupta D, Chowdhury A. Impact of pesticides use in agriculture: their benefits and hazards. Interdiscip Toxicol. 2009; 2(1): 1–12. https://doi.org/10.2478/v10102009-0001-7
- Shetty A, Deepa S, Alwar MC. Acute toxicity studies and determination of median lethal dose. Curr Sci. 2007; 93(7): 917–920.
- Miller LC, Tainter ML. Estimation of LD50 and its error by means of log - Probit graph paper. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1944; 57: 261–4. https://doi.org/10.3181/0037972757-14776
- Bliss CI. The method of probits – A correction. Science. 1934; 79(2053): 409–10. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.79.2053.409
- Thompson WR. Use of moving averages and interpolation to estimate median-effective dose; fundamental formulas, estimation of error, and relation to other methods. Bacteriol Rev. 1947; 11(2): 115–45. https://doi.org/10.1128/MMBR.11.2.115-145.1947
- Weil CS. Tables for convenient calculation of median effective dose (LD50 or ED50) and instructions in their use. Biometrics. 1951; 8(3): 249–63. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001557
- Litchfield JT, Wilcoxon F. A simplified method of evaluating dose-effect experiments. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1949; 96(2): 99–113.
- Finney DJ. Probit Analysis. 3rd ed. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 1971.
- Perry AS, Yamamoto I, Ishaaya I, Perry RY. Insecticides in Agriculture and Environment. Retrospect’s and Prospects, Springer, Berlin 1998. pp 261. https://doi.org/10.1007/9783-662-03656-3
- Bradbury SP, Coats JR. Comparative toxicology of pyrethroid insecticides, in: G.W. Ware (Ed.), Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 1989; 108: 133–177. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4613-8850-0_4
- Giri S, Sharma GD, Giri A, Prasad SB. Fenvalerate-induced chromosome aberrations and sister chromatid exchanges in the bone marrow cells of mice in vivo. Mutat. Res. Genet. Toxicol. Environ. Mutagen. 2002; 520(1-2):125–132. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(02)00197-3
- Kaul PP, Rastogi A, Hans RK, Seth TD, Seth PK, Srimal RC. Fenvalerate-induced alterations in circulatory thyroid hormones and calcium stores in rat brain. Toxicol Lett. 1996; 89(1): 29–33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S03784274(96)03778-2
- Singh VK, Verma Y K. Toxic Effect of Fenvalerate on Serum Enzyme in Wistar rats. 2nd International Conference on Advances in Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences (ICABPS’2013), Hong Kong. 2013.
- Verma YK, Singh VK. Fenvalerate Induced Genotoxicity in Mammals. Bull Env Pharmacol Life Sci. 2013; 3(1): 243– 245.
- He J, Chen J, Liu R, Song L, Chang HC, Wang X. Fenvalerateinduced Alterations in Calcium Homeostasis in Rat Ovary. Biomed Environ. Sci. 2006; 19: 15–20.
- Qu JH, Hong X, Chen JF, Wang YB, Sun H, Xu XL, Song L, Wang SL, Wang XR. Fenvalerate inhibits progesterone production through cAMP-dependent signal pathway. Toxicol Lett. 2008; 176: 31–39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2007.09.004
- Chandra M, Raj J, Dogra TD, Rajvanshi AC, Raina A. Determination of median lethal dose of Triazophos with DMSO in wistar rats. Asian J pharm Clin. Res. 2014; 7(4): 64–67.
- Randhawa MA. “Calculation of LD50 values from the method of Miller and Tainter, 1944”. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2009; 21(3): 184–185.
- Ghosh MN. In Statistical Analysis, Fundamentals of Experimental Pharmacology. 2nd ed. Scientific Book Agency Calcutta. 1984.
- Cao Z, Shafer TJ, Murray TF. Mechanisms of Pyrethroid Insecticide-Induced Stimulation of Calcium Influx in Neocortical Neurons. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010; 336(1):197–205. https://doi.org/10.1124/jpet.110.171850
- Soderlund DM, Clark JM, Sheets LP, Mullin LS, Piccirillo VJ, Sargent D, Stevens JT, Weiner ML. Mechanisms of pyrethroid toxicity: implications for cumulative risk assessment. Toxicol. 2002; 171: 3–59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(01)00569-8
- Wolansky MJ, Gennings C, DeVito MJ, Crofton KM. Evidence for Dose-Additive Effects of Pyrethroids on Motor Activity in Rats. Environ Health Perspect. 2009; 117 (10). https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.0900667
- Bradbury SP, Coats JR. Toxicity of fenvalerate to bobwhite quail (Colinus virginianus) including brain and liver residues associated with mortality. J Toxicol Environ Health. 1982; 10(2): 307–19. https://doi.org/10.1080/15287398209530253
- Powell JE, King EG, Jany CS. Toxicity of Insecticides to Adult Microplitis croceipes(Hymenoptera: Braconidae). J Econ Entomol. 1986; 79(5): 1343–1346. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/79.5.1343
- Tilak KS, Veeraiah K, Sastry LV. Bioaccumulation of fenvalerate technical grade in different organs of the frog Haplobatrachus tigerinus (Daudin). J Environ Biol. 2003; 24(3): 261–264.
- Bhowmick S, Singh VK. Cytogenetic Assessment of Pyrethroid on Blue Rock Pigeon. Poll. Res. 2014; 33(2): 323–325.
- Tos-Luty S, Haratym-Maj A, Latuszynska J, obuchowskaPrzebirowska D, Tokaraska Rodak M. Oral toxicity of deltamethrin and fenvalerate in swiss mice. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2001; 8: 245–254.
Abstract Views: 8
PDF Views: 2