Assess the Health Hazards of the Chiffoniers in Lucknow City
Background: Chiffoniers are casual specialists who gather recyclable materials to win a little compensation on regular schedule. Their life and working conditions are amazingly troublesome. This paper inspected the wellbeing perils of the chiffonier working in dumping ground of slum areas. Aim: This purpose of this study was to assess the health problems of the chiffonier. Methods: This study collected data by interviewing 120 chiffoniers in Lucknow city. The health hazards were assessed using a self-made interview schedule. Snowball sampling was used to choose the data. Results: The study shows waste pickers suffer from physical health hazards. The purpose behind occupied with such sort of work is expected not having some other abilities and simple or day by day earnings. They faced problem redness of eyes; headache, back pain, skin infections, allergy cut and accidental injuries are very common among chiffoniers. Conclusion: The finding of the study, it can be concluded that chiffoniers face many working health hazards. Majority of the waste pickers frequently report physical health problems during the work. The chiffoniers suffer from several of health harms which seem related to their employment. Chiffoniers faced general problem identity crises, police and public abuses, poor health condition and no job security. Mostly chiffoniers faced different type’s health problems at the workplace in daily life.
- Agaralla R, Pathak R, Singh M, Islam F, Parashar M. Effectiveness of awareness package on occupational health hazards among rag pickers of New Delhi, India. Community Medicine, Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Hamdard Nagar New Delhi, India. 2016; 2015(4): 367-69.
- Rani M. Problem faced and safety instrument used by female rag pickers involve in informal sector area of District, Sirsa, Haryana. International Journal of Research in Social Sciences. 2018; 8(4): 48-87.
- Silva D. C.M., Fassa G. A., Kriebel. D. Minor psychiatric disorder Brazilian ragpickers: a cross- sectional study. Environmental Health: A Global Access Science Source. 2006; 5(17): 1-10.
- Godara SA, Rani M. Socio economic aspects of female rag pickers involve in informal sector in urban area of district, Sirsa Haryana. International Journal of Academic Research and Development. 2018; 1(3): 819-23.
- Naaz S. Health hazards and social stigma faced by rag pickers in Delhi, International Journal of Research in Engineering, Science and Management. 2019; 2(5): 804-7.
- Wazid WS, Sharma R. Understanding the problems faced by Rag pickers in Guwahati City. Department of Social Work, Assam Don Bosco University, Guwahati. 2017: 1-35.
- Soni P. Problem and situation of girl rag pickers in National Capital Territory of Delhi. Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. 2014; 2(4): 1-7.
- Devi SK, Swamy SVVA, Krishna HR. Studies on the waste collection by rag pickers at Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation, Journal India. International Research of Environment Sciences. 2014; 3(1): 13-22.
- Chandramohan A., Ravichandran C., Sivasankar V. Solid waste, its health impairments and role of rag pickers in Tirchirappali City, Tamil Nadu, Southern India. Sage Journals Waste Management and Research. 2009 https://doi.org/101177/o73424x 09352705.
- Mote MB, Kadam BS, Kalaskar KS, Thakre SB, Adhav SA, Muthuvel T. Occupational and environmental health hazards ( physical and mental ) among rag pickers in Mumbai slums, A Cross Sectional Study, Science Journal of Public Health. 2016; 4(1): 1-10. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.sjph.20160401.11
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 3