Effect of Hydrokinesia in Elderly Subjects with Backward Disequilibrium: A Systematic Review
Background: Water based exercise are significant in improving both static as well as dynamic balance. Elderly subjects already are known to have decreased balance. Changes in the musculoskeletal system are one of the major causes of decreased balance. Physiotherapy regimen is important in improving both static and dynamic balance in elderly. Aquatic therapy is painless and easy way to improve balance in geriatric. However, despite its widespread knowledge of importance of aquatic therapy in improvement of balance, the efficacy of aquatic therapy in elderly is limited. Purpose: The aim of this systematic review is to analyze the importance of aquatic therapy on fall perspective in elderly population. Methods: The authors searched Google Scholar and PubMed from 1996 to 2017. Only downloadable randomized controlled trials (15), randomized clinical trials (14) and experimental studies (3) were included in the study. Results: The duration of treatment varied significantly in comparison to various studies. Subgroup analysis was performed on factors considered for measuring of fall risk parameters in elderly subjects. Conclusion: The result of the present study shows strong evidence to support the water based exercises in which Hydrokineitic therapy showed significant reduction in kinesiophobia and fall risk rate. Hence the therapy can be considered effective for geriatric population.
- Bolding D, Corman E. Falls in the geriatric patient. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine. 2019; 5(1):115–26. PMid: 30390977. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2018.08.010
- Manckoundia P, Mourey F, Perennou D, Pfitzenmeyer P. Clinical interventions in aging. 2008; 3(4):667–72. PMid: 19281059 PMCid: PMC2682399. https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S3811
- Hopewell S, Copsey B, Nicolson P, Adedire B, Boniface G, Lamb S. Multifactorial interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community: A systematic review and meta-analysis of 41 trials and almost 20 000 participants. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2019; 0:1–13. PMid: 31434659. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2019-100732
- Scheets P, Sahrmann S, Norton B, Stith J, Crowner B. What is backward disequilibrium and how do I treat it? Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy. 2015; 39(2):119–26. PMid: 25742374. https://doi.org/10.1097/NPT.0000000000000084
- Takeshima N, Rogers M, Watanabe E, Brechue W, Okada A, Yamada T. et al. Water-based exercise improves health related aspects of fitness in older women. Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. 2001; 34(3):544-551. PMid: 11880822.https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200203000-00024
- Lord S, Thoma. M, Bindon J, Chan D, Haren. A. The effects of water exercise on physical functioning in older people. American Journal on Aging. 2006; 25(1):36 –41.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-6612.2006.00138.x
- Tsourlou T, Benik A, Dipla K, Zafeiridia A, Kellis S. The effects of a twenty-four-week aquatic training program on muscular strength performance in healthy elderly women. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 2006; 20(4):811–8. PMid: 17194242.https://doi.org/10.1519/00124278-200611000-00014
- Barela A, Duarte M. Biomechanical characteristics of elderly individuals walking on land and in water. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2008; 18:446–54. PMid: 17196825. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2006.10.008
- Candeloro JM, Coromano FA. Effects of a hydrotherapy program on flexibility and muscular strength in elderly women. Rev Bras Fisioter. 2007; 11(4):267–72. https://doi.org/10.1590/S141335552007000400010
- Melzer I, Elbar O, Tsedek I, Oddsson L. A water-based training program that include Perturbation exercises to improve stepping responses in older adults: Study protocol for a randomized controlled cross-over trial. BMC Geriatric. 2008; 8:19. PMid: 18706103 PMCid: PMC2532994. https://doi.org/10.1186/14712318-8-19
- Kastura Y, Yoshikawa T, Ueda S, Usui T, Sotobayashi D, Nakao H.et al. Effects of aquatic exercise training using water-resistance equipment in elderly. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010; 108:957–64.PMid: 19960351. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-009-1306-0
- Bocalini D, Serra A, Rica R, Santos L. Repercussions of training and detraining by water based exercise on functional fitness and quality of life: A short-term follow-up in healthy older women. Clinics.2010; 65(12):1305–9. PMid: 21340219 PMCid: PMC3020341.https://doi.org/10.1590/S1807-59322010001200013
- Avelar N, Bastone A, Alcantara M, Gomes W. Effectiveness of aquatic and non-aquatic lower limb muscles endurance training in the static and dynamic balance of elderly people. Rev Bras Fisioter, Sao Carlos. 2010; 14(3):229–36. PMid: 20730368.https://doi.org/10.1590/S1413-35552010000300007
- Bento P, Pereira G, Ugrinowitsch C, Rodacki A. The effects of a water-based exercise program on strength and functionality of older adults. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 2012; 20(4):469-70. PMid: 22714953. https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.20.4.469
- Elbar O, Tzedek I, Vered E, Shvarth G, Friger M, Melzer I.A water-based training program that includes perturbation exercises improves speed of voluntary stepping in older adults: A randomized controlled cross-over trial. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2012; 56(1):134–40. PMid: 22951028. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2012.08.003
- Sanders M, Takeshima N, Rogers M, Colado J, Borreani S. Impact of the S.W.E.A.T. water-exercise method on activities of daily living for older women. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine.2013; 12:707–15.
- Kim S, O’Sullivan D. Effects of aqua aerobic therapy exercise for older adults on muscular strength, agility and balance to prevent falling during gait. J Phy Ther Sci. 2013; 25:923–7.PMid: 24259886 PMCid: PMC3820233. https://doi.org/10.1589/ jpts.25.923
- Kovach M, Plachy J, Bognar J, Balogh Z, Barthalos I. Effects of pilates and aqua fitness training on older adults’ physical functioning and quality of life. Biomedical Human Kinetics.2013; 5:22–7. https://doi.org/10.2478/bhk-2013-0005
- Oliveira M, Silva R, Dascal J, Teixeira D. Effect of different types of exercise on postural balance in elderly women: A randomized controlled trial. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics.2014; 59:506–14. PMid: 25239512. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2014.08.009
- Khanjari Y, Garooei R. The effect of a period of aquatic therapy exercise on the quality of life and depression in aged males suffering from chronic physical pains. International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences. 2015; 56:127–37. https://doi.org/10.18052/www.scipress.com/ILSHS.56.127
- Alberti D, Lazarotto L, Bento P. Effects of a deep-water running program on muscle function and functionality in elderly women community-dwelling. Motriz, Rio Claro. 2017; 23(4):1–8. https:// doi.org/10.1590/s1980-6574201700040002
- Neiva H, Fail L, Izquierdo M, Marques M, Marinho D. The effect of 12 weeks of water-aerobics on health status and physical fitness: An ecological approach. PLoS One. 2018; 13(5): e0198319.
- Alikhajeh Y, Hosseini S, Moghaddam A. Effects of hydrotherapy in static and dynamic balance among elderly men. Procedia Social and Behavioural Sciences. 2012; 46:2220–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.05.458
- Simmons V, Hansen P. Effectiveness of water exercise on postural mobility in the well elderly: An experimental study on balance enhancement. Journal of Gerontology, Medical Sciences.1996; 51(5):M233–8. PMid: 8808995. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/51A.5.M233
- Roth A, Miller M, Ricard M, Ritenour D, Chapman B. Comparisons of static and dynamic balance following training in aquatic and land environments. J Sport Rehabil. 2006; 15:299– 311. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsr.15.4.299
- Bocalini D, Serra A, Murad N, Levy R. Water-versus landbased exercise effects on physical fitness in older women.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2008; 8:265–71. PMid: 19149838.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1447-0594.2008.00485.x
- Booth C. Water exercise and its effect on balance and gait to reduce the risk of falling in older adults. Activities, Adaptation and Aging.2004; 28(4):45–57. https://doi.org/10.1300/J016v28n04_04
- Kaneda K, Sato D, Wakabayashi H, Hanai A, Nomura T. A comparison of the effects of different water exercise programs on balance ability in elderly people. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 2008; 16:381–92. PMid: 19033600. https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.16.4.381
- Sato D, Kaneda K, Wakabayashi H, Nomura T. Comparison of 2-year effects of once and twice weekly water exercise on activities of daily living ability of community dwelling frail elderly. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2009; 49:123–8. PMid: 18804874.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2008.05.011
- Abbasi A, Sadeghi H, Tabrizi H, Bagheri K, Ghasemizad A, Asl A. Effect of whole body vibration, aquatic balance and combined training on neuromuscular performance, balance and walking ability in male elderly able-bodied individual. World Applied Sciences Journal. 2011; 15(1):84–91.
- Oh S, Lim J, Kim M, Song W, Yoon B. Comparison of the effects of water- and land-based exercises on the physical function and quality of life in community-dwelling elderly people with history of falling: A single-blind, randomized controlled trial. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2015; 60(2):288–93. PMid: 25522928. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2014.11.001
- Covill L, Utley C, Hochstein C. Comparison of Ai Chi and impairment-based aquatic therapy for older adults with balance problems: A Clinical study. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2016; 40(4):204–13.
- Reichert T, Kanitz A, Delevatti R, Bagatini N, Barroso B, Kruel L. Continuous and interval training programs using deep water running improves functional fitness and blood pressure in the older adults. AGE. 2016;38(20):1–9. PMid: 26841888 PMCid: PMC5005861.https://doi.org/10.1007/s11357-016-9882-5
- Silva L, Tortelli L, Motta J, Menguer L, Mariano S, Tasca G et al. Effects of aquatic exercise on mental health, functional autonomy and oxidative stress in depressed elderly individuals: A randomized clinical trial. Clinics. 2019; 74(e322):1–7. PMid: 31271585 PMCid: PMC6585867. https://doi.org/10.6061/ clinics/2019/e322
- Douris P, Southard V, Varga C, Schauss W, Gennaro C, Reiss A.The effect of land and aquatic exercise on balance scores in older adults. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy. 2003; 26(1):03–6.https://doi.org/10.1519/00139143-200304000-00001
- Resende SM, Rassi CM, Viana FP. Effects of hydrotherapy in balance and prevention of falls among elderly women. Rev Bras Fisioter, Sao Carlos. 2008; 12(1):57–63. https://doi.org/10.1590/ S1413-35552008000100011
Abstract Views: 28
PDF Views: 1