Air Pollution from Traffic at Major Causeway Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Introduction: Causeway is providing a road link between travelers from Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain. The vehicle traffic noise and emissions exhaust at Causeway have a significant effect on air quality parameters which leads to deteriorations impact on health of employees and passengers. The present study aimed to analyze the ambient air pollutants PM10, PM2.5, PM1, O3, CO2, SO2, CO, VOCs, and NO2, ambient noise and heat stress in and around causeway. Materials and Methods: All gaseous, particulate air pollutants, meteorological factors, ambient noise and heat stress were analyzed using standards calibrated equipment. July 2019 to October 2019 the study incused seven administrative sites in King Fahd causeway (Saudi Side). Air Quality Index (AQI) was used to determine the concentrations of selected ambient air pollutants. Results: All major air pollutants were high and significant difference in the concentration level between weekdays and weekends (p<0.05) and exceeds the international air quality guidelines in the selected studied sites of causeways. However, ambient noise demonstrated high significant levels in different studied sites in different times (p<0.05). Conclusion: Air quality measures in Causeway are significantly deteriorated and should be continuously evaluated to minimize the risk of daily exposure to traffic emissions.
- Hrdlickova Z, Michalek J, Kolar M, Vesely V. Identification of factors affecting air pollution by dust aerosol PM10 in Brno City, Czech Republic. Atmospheric Environment. 2008; 42(37): 86618673. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.08.017.
- Atash F. The deterioration of urban environments in developing countries: Mitigating the air pollution crisis in Tehran, Iran. Cities. 2007; 24(6): 399-409. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2007.04.001.
- Mansouri, Hoshyari, Mansouri. Study on ambient concentrations of air quality parameters (O3, SO2, CO and PM10) in different months in Shiraz city. Iran International Journal of Environmental Sciences. 2011; 1(7): 2.
- Xie X, Semanjski I, Gautama S, Tsiligianni E, Deligiannis N, Rajan R, Pasveer F, Philips W. A review of urban air pollution monitoring and exposure assessment methods. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. 2017 Dec 1; 6(12): 389. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi6120389.
- El-Sharkawy M, Zaki G. Traffic pollutants levels at different designs of King Fahd Road, Saudi Arabia: Comparative study. TOJSAT: The Online Journal of Science and Technology. 2012; 2(1): 45-55.
- Einstein A, Podolsky B, Rosen N. Can quantum-mechanical description of physical reality be considered complete? Phys. Rev.1935; 47: 777-780. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRev.47.777.
- Ingle ST, Wagh ND, Pachpande BG, Patel VS, Attarde SB.The influence of workplace environment on lung function of shopkeepers working near National Highway in Jalgaon: A note.Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment.2005; 10(6): 476-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2005.04.008.
- Kassomenos P, Karakitsios S, Papaloukas C. Estimation of daily traffic emissions in a South-European urban agglomeration during a workday- Evaluation of several «what if ’ scenarios.The Science of the Total Environment. 2006; 370(2-3): 480-490 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2006.08.018. PMid:16979222.
- Chimonas MA, Gessner BD. Airborne particulate matter from primarily geologic, non-industrial sources at levels below National Ambient Air Quality Standards is associated with outpatient visits for asthma and quick-relief medication prescriptions among children less than 20 years old enrolled in Medicaid in Anchorage, Alaska. Environmental Research. 2007 Mar 1; 103(3): 397-404.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2006.08.013. PMid: 17049511.
- Hertel O, Goodsite ME. Urban air pollution climates throughout the world. Issues in Environmental Science and Technology. 2009 Aug 7; 28: 1. https://doi.org/10.1039/9781847559654-00001.
- Jayaratne ER, Ristovski ZD, Meyer N, Morawska L. Particle and gaseous emissions from compressed natural gas and ultralow sulphur diesel-fuelled buses at four steady engine loads. Science of the Total Environment. 2009 Apr 1; 407(8): 2845-2852. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.01.001. PMid: 19185331.
- Zhang F, Wang W, Lv J, Krafft T, Xu J. Time-series studies on air pollution and daily outpatient visits for allergic rhinitis in Beijing, China. [Article]. The Science of the Total Environment. 2011; 409(13): 2486-2492. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2011.04.007. PMid: 21514624.
- Boverhof DR, Gollapudi BB. Editors. Applications of Toxicogenomics in Safety Evaluation and Risk Assessment.John Wiley & Sons; 2011 Oct 11. https://doi.org/10.1002/ 9781118001042. PMid: 21447610.
- Jespen T. ATEX-Explosive Atmospheres. Springer Series in Reliability Engineering. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-31367-2.
- Seehusen F, Felderer M, Großmann J, Wendland MF. Editors.Risk Assessment and Risk-Driven Testing: Third International Workshop, RISK 2015, Berlin, Germany; June 15, 2015.Revised Selected Papers. Springer 2015 Nov 12. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-26416-5.
- Moolla R, Curtis JC, Knight J. occupational exposure of diesel station workers to BTEX compounds at a bus Depot. Int. J. Environ.Res. Public Health. 2015; 12: 4101-4115. https://doi.org/10.3390/ ijerph120404101. PMid: 25872020, PMCid: PMC4410235.
- Lu Y. Traffic-Related PM2. 5 Air Pollution and Schools in Proximity to Major Roadways in Shanghai, China (Doctoral dissertation), University of Washington; 2016. http://hdl.handle.net/1773/36863.
- Nedal T. Ratrouta, Uneb Gazdera, El-Sayed M. El-Alfy. Effects of using Average Annual Daily Traffic (AADT) with exogenous factors to predict daily traffic. Science Direct. 2014; 325-327.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2014.05.431.
- Song J, Zhao C, Lin T, Li X, Prishchepov AV. Spatio-temporal patterns of traffic-related air pollutant emissions in different urban functional zones estimated by real-time video and deep learning technique. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2019 Nov 20; 238:117881. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.117881.
- Nakatsuka H, Watanabe T, Ikeda M, Hisamichi S, Shimizu H, Fujisaku S, Ichinowatari Y, et al. Comparison of the health e¤ects between indoor and outdoor air pollution in northeastern Japan. Environment International. 1991; 17: 51-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/0160-4120(91)90337-P.
- Kan H, Chen R, Tong S. Ambient air pollution, climate change, and population health in China. Environment International.2012 Jul 1; 42: 10-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2011.03.003.PMid: 21440303.
- Wu QZ, Wang ZF, Gbaguidi A, Gao C, Li LN, Wang W. A numerical study of contributions to air pollution in Beijing during CAREBeijing-2006. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 2011 Jun 24; 11(12): 5997-6011. https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-11-5997-2011.
- Fischer PH, Brunekreef B, Lebret E. Air pollution related deaths during the 2003 heat wave in the Netherlands. Atmospheric Environment. 2004 Mar 1; 38(8): 1083-1085. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2003.11.010.
- Ayub S, Baig K. Monitoring the influence of outdoor vehicular pollutants concentration on indoor air quality of the houses located close to urban roadway/highways. European International Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 2(3): 170-180.
- Okunola OJ, Uzairu A, Gimba CE, Ndukwe GI. Assessment of gaseous pollutants along high traffic roads in Kano, Nigeria.International Journal of Environment and Sustainability. 2012 May 16; 1(1). https://doi.org/10.24102/ijes.v1i1.39.
- Olajire AA, Azeez L, Oluyemi EA. Exposure to hazardous air pollutants along Oba Akran road, Lagos-Nigeria. Chemosphere.2011 Aug 1; 84(8): 1044-1051. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2011.04.074. PMid: 21624630.
- Han X, Naeher LP. A review of traffic-related air pollution exposure assessment studies in the developing world.Environment International. 2006 Jan 1; 32(1): 106-120. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2005.05.020. PMid: 16005066.
- Kaasik M, Kimmel V. Validation of the improved AEROPOL model against the Copenhagen data set. International Journal of Environment and Pollution. 2003 Jan 1; 20(1/6): 114-120. https:// doi.org/10.1504/IJEP.2003.004256.
- Xia T, Nitschke M, Zhang Y, Shah P, Crabb S, Hansen A. Trafficrelated air pollution and heal th co-benefits of alternative transport in Adelaide, South Australia. Environment International. 2015 Jan 1; 74: 281-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2014.10.004.PMid: 25454245.
- Augustine C. Impact of air pollution on the environment in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Journal of Environmental Science and Water Resources. 2012; 1(3): 46-51.
Abstract Views: 2
PDF Views: 1