Open Access Subscription Access
GUIDL as an Aiding Technology in Programming Education of Visually Impaired
Programming education is of vital importance because of growing needs for programming professionals. Even though efforts have been made in order to improve the quality of knowledge and acquired programming skill of computer science students the educational systems are still confronted with rather high failure and dropout rates. There are several possible approaches that can be taken in education of programming novices which are described and discussed in this paper. The problems in programming education are even more prominent in the case of programming novices who are visually impaired. Some of educational problems are similar to general problems in programming education and some are specific in the case of visually impaired students and require a suitable approach in order to be resolved. Several existing aiding tools and approaches are presented in this paper and a new solution in the form of GUIDL (Graphical User Interface Description Language) system is proposed as a suitable mean for aiding visually impaired in their programming education. The results of conducted research about the effectiveness of proposed solution are also presented and discussed.
Visually Impaired, Programming, Education, Aiding Technology, GUIDL.
- S. Alexander, "Blind Programmers Face An Uncertain Future", ComputerWorld, vol. 32, no. 44, pp. 86-87, 1998.
- A. Arato, Z. Juhasz, P. Blenkhorn, G. Evans, G. Evreinov, "Java-powered braille slate talker", in Proceedings of ICCHP 2004: Computers Helping People with Special Needs, 2004, vol. 3118, pp. 506-513.
- J. Bennedsen, M.E. Caspersen, "Failure rates in introductory programming", ACM SIGCSE Bulletin, vol. 39, no 2., pp. 32-36, 2007.
- P. Brusilovsky, A. Kouchnirenko, P. Miller, I. Tomek "Teaching Programming to Novices: A Review of Approaches and Tools", in Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 94 - World Conference on Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 1994, pp. 103-110.
- P. Brusilovsky, E. Calabrese, J. Hvorecky, A. Kouchnirenko, P. Miller, "Mini-languages: a way to learn programming principles", Education and Information Technologies, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 65-83, 1997.
- R. F. Cohen, A. V. Fairley, D. Gerry, G. R. Lima, "Accessibility in introductory computer science", ACM SIGCSE Bulletin, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 17-21, 2005.
- G. Douglas, "ICT, education, and visual impairment", British journal of educational technology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 353-364, 2001.
- S. Fincher, A. Robins, B. Baker, I. Box, Q. Cutts, M. de Raadt, P. Haden, J. Hamer, M. Hamilton, R. Lister, M. Petre, K. Sutton, D. Tolhurst, J. Tutty, "Predictors of success in a first programming course", in Proceedings of the 8th Australasian Conference on Computing Education, 2006, vol. 52, pp. 52:189-196.
- M. A. Hersh, M. A. Johnson, "Assistive Technology for Visually Impaired and Blind People", Springer, 2008.
- M. Hu, "Teaching novices programming with core language and dynamic visualization", in Proceedings of the 17th NACCQ, 2004, pp. 94-103.
- M. Konecki, R. Kudelic, D. Radosevic, "Challenges of the blind programmers", in Proceedings of the 21st Central European Conference on Information and Intelligent Systems, 2010, pp. 473-476.
- M. Konecki, A. Lovrencic, R. Kudelic, "Making Programming Accessible to the Blinds", in Proceedings of the 34th MIPRO International Convention on Computers in Technical Systems, 2011, pp. 180-184.
- M. Konecki, "A New Approach Towards Visual Programming for the Blinds", in Proceedings of the 35th MIPRO International Convention on Computers in Technical Systems, 2012, pp. 1076-1081.
- M. Konecki, M. Petrlic, "Main problems of programming novices and the right course of action", in Proceedings of the 25th Central European Conference on Information and Intelligent Systems, 2014, pp. 116-123.
- M. Konecki, "Inclusion of visually impaired in graphical user interface design", in Proceedings of the 17th International Multiconference Information Society - Intelligent Systems, 2014, pp. 54-57.
- M. Konecki, V. Mrkela, "Algorithmic thinking and animated interactive presentation of sorting algorithms in education of students", in Proceedings of the 17th International Multiconference Information Society - Education in Information Society, 2014, pp. 105-112.
- M. Konecki, "Problems in programming education and means of their improvement", DAAAM International Scientific Book 2014, in press.
- N. Markus, Z. Juhasz, G. Bognar, A. Arato, "How Can Java Be Made Blind-Friendly", in Proceedings of ICCHP 2008: Computers Helping People with Special Needs, 2008, vol. 5105, pp. 526-533.
- S. Mealin, E. Murphy-Hill, "An exploratory study of blind software developers", in Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, 2012, pp. 71-74.
- U. Nikula, O. Gotel, J. Kasurinen, "A motivation guided holistic rehabilitation of the first programming course", ACM Transactions on Computing Education (TOCE), vol. 11, no. 4, art. 24, 2011.
- J. Sanchez, F. Aguayo, "Blind learners programming through audio", in CHI'05 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 2005, pp. 1769-1772.
- A. C. Smith, J. M. Francioni, S. D. Matzek, "A Java programming tool for students with visual disabilities", in Proceedings of the fourth international ACM conference on Assistive technologies, 2000, pp. 142-148.
- P. A. Smith, G. I. Webb, "The efficacy of a low-level program visualization tool for teaching programming concepts to novice C programmers", Journal of Educational Computing Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 187- 216, 2000.
- J. Sorva, V. Karavirta, L. Malmi, "A review of generic program visualization systems for introductory programming education", ACM Transactions on Computing Education (TOCE), vol. 13, no. 4, art. 15, 2013.
- T. D. Sterling, M. Lichstein, F. Scarpino, D. Stuebing, "Professional computer work for the blind". Communications of the ACM, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 228- 230, 1964.
- A. Yadin, "Reducing the dropout rate in an introductory programming course", ACM Inroads, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 71- 76, 2011.
- "Information technology - Syntactic metalanguage - Extended BNF", ISO/IEC 14977, 1996, available at: http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/ind ex.html, accessed: 24th October 2014.
- bfi Steiermark, "European Labour Market Report", available at http://eurochance.brailcom.org/download/labour-marketreport. pdf, accessed: 24th October 2014.
- "The employment of blind and partially-sighted persons in Italy: A challenging issue in a changing economy and society", available at http://www.euroblind.org/media/employment/employment _Italy.doc, accessed: 24th October 2014.
- http://sourceforge.net/projects/sodbeans/, accessed: 24th October 2014.
- https://docs.oracle.com/javase/accessbridge/2.0.2/introduct ion.htm, accessed: 24th October 2014.
Abstract Views: 148
PDF Views: 44