Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of Medical Waste Management among Healthcare Staff in Dental Clinics of Sana’a City, Yemen
Background: Sufficient knowledge, attitudes and practices toward medical waste management lead to minimizing risks of diseases transmitted from the wastes of hospitals and dental clinics to the community. Objective: The aim of this study was to assess knowledge, attitudes, and practices of medical waste management among healthcare staff in dental clinics of Sana’a city, Yemen. Methods: A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted among 194 healthcare staff of dental clinics in Sana’a city, Yemen, in the duration of May to July 2018. The random sample method was used to select dental clinics and health care personnel in the selected clinics. IBM SPSS program version 21 was used for data analysis. Results: The overall adequate knowledge, positive attitudes, and practices of participants were (77.3%, 78.9% and 52%) respectively. Only 29.9% of them knew of the medical waste management legislation while 97.9% were knowledgeable about the role of medical waste in disease transmission. The majority of participants (96.4%) believed that safe management of health care waste is an issue at all while, only 24.2% were using the color-coding system for disposing of medical waste. Conclusions: The authors concluded that the levels of adequate knowledge and positive attitudes of healthcare staff of dental clinics in Sana’a city were good while the level of practice was low.
- Sanjeev R, Kuruvilla S, Subramaniam R, Prashant PS, Gopalakrishnan M. Knowledge, attitude and practices about biomedical waste management among dental healthcare personnel in dental colleges in Kothamangalam: A cross-sectional study. Health Science. 2014; 1(3):1–12.
- Alwabr GMA, Al-Mikhlafi AS, Al-Hakimi SA, Dughish MA. Identification of bacteria and fungi in the solid waste generated in hospitals of Sana’a city, Yemen. Current Life Sciences. 2016; 2(3):67–71. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/ zenodo.57550.
- Alwabr GMA, Al-Mikhlafi AS, Al-Hakimi SA, Dughish MA. Determination of medical waste composition in hospitals of Sana’a city, Yemen. Journal of Applied Science and Environmental Management. 2016; 20(2):343–7. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/jasem.v20i2.15.
- Patnaik S, Sharma N. Assessment of cognizance and execution of biomedical waste management among health care personnel of a dental institution in Bhubaneswar. Journal of Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry. 2018; 16(3):213-21. doi:10.4103/jiaphd.jiaphd_114_17.
- Haralur SB, Al-Qahtani AS, Al-Qarni MM, Al-Homrany RM, Aboalkhair AE, Madalakote SS. The dental solid waste management in different categories of dental laboratories in Abha city, Saudi Arabia. The Open Dentistry Journal. 2015; 9:449–54. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874210601509010449. PMid:26962373 PMCid:PMC4768654
- Pawar PA, Patil TS. Knowledge, practice, and attitude of dental care waste management among private dental practitioners in International Dental Journal of Student’s Research. 2017; 5(3):80–4.
- Umar M, Khan A, Awan HH, Kibria Z. Awareness of biomedical waste management among dentists of Peshawar. Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice. 2017; 7(3):16– 21.
- Ahmed AAM, Awooda EM, Elbeshir EI. Dentist’s knowledge, attitude, and practice towards dental waste management in private clinics Khartoum locality. International Journal of Latest Research in Science and Technology. 2014; 3(4):93–6.
- Feridoz KJ, Krishnan M. Knowledge and awareness of biomedical waste management among dental students and auxiliary staff: A questionnaire study. Drug Invent Today. 2018; 10:3129–33.
- Adedigba MA, Oke IA, Arobieke R. Characterisation of dental waste in Tertiary Dental Hospitals: A third world example. In: Alfonso J. Rodriguez-Morales, editor. Current Topics in Public Health. New York: InTech; 2013. p. 23–7.
- Alwabr GMA, Al-Mikhlafi AS, Al-Hakimi SA, Dughish MA. Risk assessment of the current handling of medical waste in hospitals off Sana’a city, Yemen. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. 2017; 3(1):1–9. https://doi.org/10.20319/Mijst.2017.31.0109
- Shah AF, Yousuf A, Jan SM, Batra M, Sidiq M, Baba IA. Feedback survey on awareness and management of biomedical waste among dental healthcare personnel in Kashmir, India. International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research. 2016; 3(7):2163–7.
- Raghuvanshi M, Sinha S, Mohiddin G, Panda A, Dash KC, Bhuyan L. Awareness of biomedical waste management among dentists associated with institutions and private practitioners of North India: A comparative study. Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice. 2018; 19(3):273–7.
- https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10024-2251 PMid:29603697
- Usha GV, Divyapriya GK, Madhurima B. Assessment off knowledge, attitude and practices of dental waste management among undergraduate dental students of Bapuji Dental College and hospital in Davangere City - a cross sectional survey. Unique Journal of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2016; 04(2):8–13.
- Mehta TK, Shah PD, Tiwari KD. A Knowledge, attitude, and practice study of biomedical waste management and bio-safety among healthcare workers in a tertiary care government hospital in Western India. National Journal of Community Medicine. 2018; 9(5):327–33.
- Potlia I, Kumar PGN, Prashant GM, Sushanth VH, Imranulla M, Rubel M, et al. Knowledge, attitude and practices towards biomedical waste management among health care professionals, private practitioners and post graduate students in Davangere City, Karnataka, India. Biomedical Research. 2017; 8(3):158–62. https://doi.org/10.7439/ijbr
- Mathur V, Dwivedi S, Hassan MA, Misra RP. Knowledge, attitude, and practices about biomedical waste management among healthcare personnel: A cross-sectional study. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 2011; 36(2):143–5. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-0218.84135. PMid:21976801 PMCid:PMC3180941
- Khandelwal V, Khandelwal S, Thakur JS. Health care waste disposal among private dentist in an Indian city: It’s time to act. International Journal of Infection Control. 2013; 9(2):10–16. https://doi.org/10.3396/ijic.v9i2.016.13
- Halboub ES, Al-Maweri SA, Al-Jamaei AA, Tarakji B, Al-Soneidar WA. Knowledge, attitudes, and practice of infection control among dental students at Sana’a University, Yemen. Journal of International Oral Health. 2015; 7(5):15–19. https://doi.org/10.4103/0976-237X.128673 PMid:24808701 PMCid:PMC4012124
- Lakshmikantha R, Kanyadara J, Bullappa D, Vanishree N, Prasad KSK, Naveen N, et al. To assess the knowledge, level of awareness, and attitude on biomedical waste management among practicing dentists in Bengaluru City: a cross-sectional study. CHRISMED Journal of Health and Research. 2016; 3(3):161–7. https://doi.org/10.4103/23483334.183729
Abstract Views: 6
PDF Views: 0