Open Access Subscription Access
Study on Awareness about Food Adulteration and Consumer Rights among Consumers in Dhaka, Bangladesh
Combating food adulteration is a great challenge in Bangladesh. The customer is the leading economic community and the focus of all commercial activities. The price, availability, variety, and attractiveness of consumer products have increased with the rise in people’s incomes. The business sector is practically bursting with complex technology-based new products. Regardless of misleading advertising, unsuitable media coverage, and food adulteration, it is challenging for the customer to select a particular foodstuff. The primary victim is a customer who casually takes adulterated food and pays the price of such corrupt practices. Bangladesh Government has enacted the Food Safety Act, 2013 to ensure food safety. But, consumer awareness is one of the most important steps towards reducing the adulteration of foods. Consumer faces different kinds of challenges to ensure food safety for them. To effectively face these challenges, consumers need to prepare themselves against these issues. In our present study, we have analyzed the different consumer behavior considering food adulteration and their awareness about consumer rights.
Bangladesh, Consumer Awareness, Consumer Behavior, Food Adulteration, Food Safety Act.
- Popovic I, Bossink BAG, van der Sijde PC. Factors Influencing consumers’ decision to purchase food in environmentally friendly packaging: What do we know and where do we go from here? Sustainability. 2019; 11(24):7197. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11247197
- Visser M, Schoormans J, Vogtländer J. Consumer buying behaviour of sustainable vacuum cleaners - Consequences for design and marketing. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2018 Sep; 195:664–73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.05.114
- Kotler, P. Marketing management, 6th addition, PrenticeHall of India Private Limited, New Delhi. 1990; 196–201.
- Grewal R, Lilien GL, Bharadwaj S, Jindal P, Kayande U, Lusch RF, et al. Business-to-business buying: Challenges and opportunities. Customer Needs and Solutions. 2015 Mar 7; 2(3):193–208. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40547-0150040-5
- Sundaram S. Consumer protection in IndiaB.R. publishing corporation, Delhi; 1985. p. 66–77.
- He Y, Bai X, Xiao Q, Liu F, Zhou L, Zhang C. Detection of adulteration in food based on nondestructive analysis techniques: A review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2020: 1–21. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2 020.1777526
- Schleining G. Preventive measures for food safety. In: McElhatton A, Marshall RJ, editors, Food Safety. Boston: Springer; 2007: 50–67.https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-38733957-3_3
- National Task Force on Food Safety. Bangladesh country paper. FAO/WHO Regional Conference on Food Safety for Asia and Pacific, Seremban; 2004 May 24–27.
- Srilakshmi B. Food Science. 3rd ed. New Delhi: New Age International; 2003:313.
- Garman and Jonest. Older American’s knowledge of consumer rights and legal protection. Journal of Consumer Studies and Home Economics. 1992; 16:283–91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.1992.tb00518.x
- Rahman Md, Sultan Z, Rahman MS, Rashid M. Food Adulteration: A serious public health concern in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal. 2015; 18(1):1–7. https://doi.org/10.3329/bpj.v18i1.23503
- Consumers Association of Bangladesh. Most of the consumers in rural areas do not know about their rights. Consumer Voice. 2005:24:5.
- FAO/WHO Expert Consultation. Food protection for urban consumers. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization. 1986:1–17.
- Rahman SM. Food safety: Bangladesh perspective and our responsibility. Food Safety Program. Dhaka: Institute of Public Health; 2006.
- Roy P. Eating dangerously: watchdog’s role mostly missing. Daily Star 2005 June 12–15:17. Available from: http://archive.thedailystar.net/2005/06/17/d5061701044.htm.
- Roy P. Toxic transformer oil used for frying food [Internet]. Daily Star 2006 Dec. Available from: http:// www.thedailystar.net/2006/12/29/d6122901085.htm.
- FAO/WHO. Assuring food safety and quality: Guidelines for strengthening national food control systems. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization. 2003; 28.
- Roday S. Food hygiene and sanitation, Tata Mc. Graw - Hill Publish in company Ltd., New Delhi; 2002. p. 248–9.
- Ullah H. Adulterated food: Thoughts from an expatriate [Internet]. Daily Star 2005 Oct 21. Available from: http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/10/21/d510211502102.htm.
- Nasreen S, Ahmed T. Food adulteration and consumer awareness in Dhaka City, 1995-2011. Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition. 2014 Sep; 32(3):452–64.
- Rao P, Bhat RV. A comparative study on the synthetic food colours usage in foods procured from urban and rural areas of Hyderabad. Nutrition Food Science. 2003; 33:23–4. https://doi.org/10.1108/00346650310499758
- Rahman SM, Ismail ATKM. Strengthening official food safety control services [Internet]. Paper presented on Second FAO/WHO Global Forum for Food Safety Regulators, Bangkok, 2004 12–14 Oct. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization. Available from: ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/meeting/008/ae335e.pdf.
- Beniwal A, Khetarpaul N. Knowledge of consumers regarding the nature and extent of adulteration of Indian foods. Nutrition and Health. 1999; 13:153–60. https://doi.org/10.1177/026010609901300303 PMid:10561864
- Khair A. What we are eating. Daily Ittefaq 2005 Jun19–Nov 2. (Series report on food adulteration).
- Nimkar, A. Food buying practices of unemployed and employed home maker. The Indian Journal of Home Science. 1976:10(1).
- Pande U. A study of ascertaining buying practices of consumable goods among low income group. Unpublished Master’s Thesis, P.G. Department of Home Science S.P. University, Vallabh Vidyanagar.
- Nath DK. Food or poison? bdnews24.com [Internet]. 2014 May 9. Available from: http://opinion.bdnews24.com/2014/05/09/food-or-poison
- Mahfuz, M. 2014. Baro hat bidhi-nishedh tero hat vejal [Internet]. The Daily Amader Shomoy. 2014 Jul 2. Available from: http://www.dainikamadershomoy.com/
- Kamruzzaman M. Formalin Crime in Bangladesh: A case study. 2016; 39-44.
- The Daily Star, 1 November 2009. Trader fined for selling fish treated with formalin [Internet]. http://archive.thedailystar.net/new Design/news-details.php?nid=103948.
- The Daily Star [Internet]. 2014 April 28. 40pc food poisonous. Available from: https://www.thedailystar.net/40pc-food-poisonous-21921
- Ashfaq N, Masud T. Surveillance of artificial colours in different ready to eat foods. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 2002; 1:223–5. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2002.223.225
- Babu S and Shenolikar IS. Health and Nutritional Implications of Food Colours. Indian Journal of Medical Research. 1995; 102:245–9.
- The Daily Star. 2007 Jan 30 [Internet]. Traders fined for selling toxic chemicals as food colour. Available from: http://archive.thedailystar.net/ 2007/01/30/d70130013625.htm
- The Daily Star. 2007 Jul 12 [Internet]. Adulterated ghee seized. Available from: http://www.thedailystar.net/new Design /news-details.php?nid =66453.
- The Daily Star. 2011 July 28. Two puffed rice factories fined Tk. 1 lakh [Internet]. Available from: http://archive.thedailystar.net/newDesign/newsdetails.php?nid=196107.
- The Daily Star. 2012 Aug 4. Bitter truth: rampant adulteration plays havoc [Internet]. Available from: http://archive.thedailystar.net/newDesign/ cache/cached-newsdetails244692.html
- The Daily Star. 2008 Dec 7. Ghee of 10 BSTI-certified brands found adulterated. Available from: http://archive.thedailystar.net/ newDesign/news-details.php?nid=66453
- Malek EH. Preservatives above permissible level is being used in juices. Consumer Voice 2005; 24:1–2.
- Rahman SM, Hoque MA, Talukder MRA. Food security in Bangladesh: Utilization, nutrition and food adulteration (paper presented at the National Workshop on Food security, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 19-20 October 2005); 2005.
- Faruque Q. Consumers’ rights is at stake [Internet]. Daily Star 2003 14 Dec. Available from: http://archive.thedailystar.net/law/200312/02/index.htm.
- Right to food in Bangladesh. The New Age [Internet]. 2017 Oct 16. Available from: https://www.newagebd.net/ article/26293/right-to-food-in-bangladesh
- Parvez S. Govt set to pass new law to pin down food adulterers [Internet]. Daily Star 2013 Jun 26. Available from: http://archive..net/beta2/news/govt-set-to-passnewlawto-pin-down-food-adulterers/.
- Zahid S. Uncontrolled salt industry in the country.Consumer Voice. 2005; 24:1,2,4,5.
- Arefin P, Arefin A, Arefin MS. Analysis of common food safety challenges in the prevailing food products in the Bangladeshi market and their impact on public health and economy. 5th AYUNS International Conference; 2017
Abstract Views: 20
PDF Views: 0