Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Geological Modeling and Short-Term Production Planning of Dimension Stone Quarries Based on Market Demand
In order to obtain minimum amount of ore wastage and maximum profitability in dimension stone quarries an optimal short-term production planning procedure has been established here according to the market demand. As the base of this procedure geological modelling has been first created and smoothing of ore-body boundaries was done. Then, an economical block model has been provided. In the next step, all probable shapes of minable-blocks were specified and their priorities in assignment were done according to desired size of the blocks by market demand. Finally, searching from a base sub-block was started in order to find the optimal plan. The procedure has been used for a dimension marble quarry located in northwest of Iran. It demonstrates a decrease about 26% of ore wastage and 21.3% of diamond wire assumption with comparing to the existent traditional procedure.
Dimension Stone Quarry, Geological Modelling, Short-Term, Production Planning, Market Demand, Iran.
- ABDOLLAHISHARIF, J. and BAKHTAVAR, E. (2009) An intelligent algorithm of minimum cutting plane to find optimal size of extractable-blocks in dimension stone quarries. Archives of Mining Sciences, v.54(4), pp.641-656.
- BASTANTE, F.G., TABOADA, J. and ORDONEZ, C. (2004) Design and planning for slate mining using optimisation algorithms. Engg. Geol., v.73, pp.93-103.
- CARANASSIOS, A., TOMI, G.D. and SENHORINHO, N. (2000) Geological modeling and mine planning for dimension stone quarries. In: Panagiotou and Michalakopoulos (Eds.), Proc. Mine Planning and Equipment Selection, Balkema, Rotterdam, pp.39-45.
- CACCETTA, L. (2007) Application of Optimisation Techniques in Open Pit Mining. Handbook of Operations Research in Natural Resources. Springer-US, v.99, pp.547-559.
- KOPPE, J.C., ZINGANO, A.C. and COSTA, J.F.C.L. (1995) Three dimensional modeling in planning ornamental stone quarries. In: Singhal et al. (Eds.), Proc. Mine Planning and Equipment Selection, Balkema, Rotterdam, pp.117-120.
- LATHAM, J.P., MEULEN, J.V. and DUPRAY, S. (2006) Prediction of in-situ block size distributions with reference to armourstone for breakwaters. Engg. Geol., v.86, pp.18-36.
- LUODES, H., SELONEN, O. and PAAKKONEN, K. (2000) Evaluation of dimension stone in gneissic rocks a case history from southern Finland. Engg. Geol., v.52, pp.209-223.
- MUTLUTÜRK, M. (2007) Determining the amount of marketable blocks of dimensional stone before actual extraction. Jour. Mining Sci., v.43(1), pp.67-72.
- RATHORE, S.S. and BHANDARI, S. (2006) Study of controlled blasting techniques in dimensional stone quarrying. Jour. Instt. Engineers, Mining Engineering Division, v.86, pp.46-49.
- SIRAKOV, N.M. and MUGE, F.H. (2001) A system for reconstructing and visualising three-dimensional objects. Computers and Geosciences, v.27, pp.59-69.
- TABOADA, J., VAAMONDE, A. and SAAVEDRA, A. (1999) Evaluation of the quality of a granite quarry. Engg. Geol., v.53, pp.1-11.
- XU, H. and WU, Q. (2001) A framework modeling of geological related spatial data in 3D scene. Proc. 6th Internat. Symp. on Future Software Technology, Zhengzhou, China, pp. 252-257.
Abstract Views: 84
PDF Views: 0