Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Conservation of Medicinally Important Plant Through Somatic Embryogenesis :Case Study with Eupatorium Ayapana Vent. (Asteraceae)
An efficient plant regeneration protocol through somatic embryogenesis of leaf explants of a valuable medicinal plant, Eupatorium ayapana Vent., has been developed. Callus development from leaf discs were achieved within 4 weeks of callus initiation on MS medium fortified with different concentrations and combinations of BAP and sterile coconut water. Extensive growth of green nodular calli was recorded in MS medium supplemented with BAP (2 mg/l) and coconut water (20 ml/l). Transfer of differentiating calli into the medium containing lower concentrations of cytokinin and coconut water resulted into the development of cotyledonary stage somatic embryoids. Maturation of somatic embryoids and subsequent plant regeneration was accomplished in growth regulator free MS medium. Further, genetic fidelity of the micropropagated plants with that of the mother plant was assessed by isoenzyme profiles and their true-to-type nature was confirmed on the basis of monomorphic banding pattern.
Medicinal Plant, Eupatorium Ayapana, Somatic Embryogenesis.
- Aastha, S., Shahzad, A. and Mohammad, A. 2010. High frequency plant production via shoot organogenesis and somatic embryogenesis from callus in Tylophora indica, an endangered plant species. Turk. J. Bot., 34: 11-20.
- Anand, R. P. Ganapathi, A. Vengadesan, G. Selvaraj, N. Anabazhagan, V.R. and Kulothungan, S. 2001. Plant regeneration from immature cotyledon-derived callus of Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp. (cowpea). Cur. Sci., 80(5): 671-674.
- Azad, M. A. K., Yokota, S., Ohkubo, T., Andoh, Y., Yahara, S. and Yoshizawa, N. 2005. In vitro regeneration of the medicinal woody plant Phellodendron amurense Rupr. through excised leaves. Pl. Cell Tiss. Orga. Cult., 80: 43-50.
- Chadha, Y. R. The Wealth of India: A Dictionary of Indian Raw Materials and Industrial Products. Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi, Vol. III, 223.
- Chand, S. and Singh, A. K. 2001. Direct Somatic embryogenesis from zygotic embryos of a timber yielding leguminous tree, Hardwickia binata Roxb. Curr. Sci., 80(7): 882-887.
- Flick, C. E., Evans, D. A. and Sharp, W. R. 1983. Organogenesis. In: D. A. Evans, W. R. Sharp, P. V. Ammirato, and Y. Yamada (eds.), Handbook of Plant Cell Culture. Macmillan, New York, 1: 13-81.
- George, E. F. 2008. Plant tissue culture procedure - background. Ch. 1. In: E. F. George, M. A. Hall and G. J. D. Klerk (eds.), Plant Propagation by Tissue Culture. Vol. 1: 1-28. Springer.
- Hassan, A. K., Bari, M. S., Sultana, L. S., Begum, R. N. and Khatun, R. 2009. In vitro clonal propagation of Scoparia dulcis L., a perennial medicinal herb. Bangladesh J. Sci. Ind. Res., 44(3): 341-346.
- Hislop, E. C. and Stahmann, M. P. 1971. Peroxidase and ethylene production by barley leaves infected with Erysiphe graminis f. sp. hordei. Physiol. Plant Pathol., 1: 297.
- Kuraishi, S. and Okumura, F. S. 1961. A new green-leaf growth stimulating factor, phyllococosine, from coconut milk. Nature, 189: 148-149.
- Merkle, S. A. 1997. Somatic embryogenesis in ornamentals. In: R. L. Geneve, J. E. Preece and S. A. Merkle (eds.), Biotechnology of Ornamental Plants. CABI.
- Murashige, T. and Skoog, F. 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassay with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol. Plantarum, 15: 473-497.
- Murthy, H. N. and Pyati, A. N. 2001. Micropropagation of Aerides maculosum Lindl. (Orchidaceae). In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. Plant, 37: 223-226.
- Nikam, T. D. and Shitole, M. G. 1997. In vitro plant regeneration from callus of Niger (Guizotia abyssinca. Cass.) cv. Sahyadri. Pl. Cell Rep., 17: 155-158.
- Peixe, A., Raposo, A., Lourenco, R., Cardoso, H. and Macedo, E. 2007. Coconut water and BAP successfully replaced zeatin in olive (Olea europaea L.) micropropagation. Sci. Hort., 113: 1-7.
- Prakash, E., Khan, S. V., Meru, E. and Rao, K. R. 2001. Somatic embryogenesis in Pimpinella tirupatiensis Bal. and Subr., an endangered medicinal plant of Tirumala hills. Curr. Sci., 81(9): 1239-1242.
- Pyati, A. N., Murthy, H. N., Hahn, E. J. and Paek, K. Y. 2002. In vitro propagation of Dendrobium macrostachyum Lindl.- A threatened orchid. Indian J. Exp. Biol, 40: 620-623.
- Shantz, E. M. and Steward, F. C. 1952. Coconut milk factor: The growth promoting substance in coconut milk. J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 74: 6133-6135.
- Yoon, Y. J., Murthy, H. N., Hahn, E. J. and Paek, K. Y. 2007. Biomass production of Anoectichilus formosanus Hayata in a bioreactor system. J. Plant Biol., 50: 573-576.
- [Editors' comment: Eupatorium ayapana Vent. is a synonym of Ayapana triplinervis (Vahl) R. M. King and H. Rob.].
Abstract Views: 4
PDF Views: 0