Aquaculture Opportunities in Open Cast Coal Mine Dams in Raniganj, West Bengal, India
A feasibility study was conducted on alternative fish culture in an abandoned open cast coal mine dam of Raniganj, West Bengal, India. The idea was to generate an alternate source of income generation for the poor coal miners through the infusion of scientific mode of culture and making general awareness among the miners about the proper utilization of water sources. In this endeavor, thirteen fish species were recorded besides obtaining certain water parameters of four open cast dams along with evaluation of economic viability as well as culture mode during the study. The results indicate the dams can be used as an alternative source of profitable fish culture accruing the net value of Rs. 2, 03, 846 / ha / yr which is about 88.3% of cost involvement. As such, these dams can act as a ready water resource of fish culture and economic uplifting of local fish farmers through implementation of specifically designed scientific program.
- APHA. (2012) Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater, 22nd edition edited by E. W. Rice, R. B. Baird, A. D. Eaton and L. S. Clesceri.
- American Public Health Association (APHA), American Water Works Association (AWWA) and Water Environment Federation (WEF), Washington, D.C., USA.
- Jayaram, K. C. (1981) Methods of preservation of fishes. In: Director, ZSI (Ed.), The Fresh Water Fishes of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Burma and Sri Lanka- A Handbook. Calcutta Laser Graphics (P) Ltd., Calcutta, p. 5.
- Mylliemngap, B. K. and Ramanujam, S. N. (2011) Icthyodiversity in the coal mining and adjacent non-coal mining drainages of Jaintia Hills, India. Asian Fisheries Sc., 24: 177-185.
- Talukdar, B., Basumatary. S., Kalita, H. K., Baishya, R. A. and Dutta, A. (2015) Histopathological alternations in liver and kidney of Tor tor (Ham.) inhabited in coal mining affected areas of Simsang River, Garo Hills, Meghalaya. Nat. Acad. Sc. Lett., 38: 321-324.
- Talukdar, B., Das, J., Kalita, H. K., Basumatary, S. and Choudhury, H. (2016) Impact of open cast coal mining on fish and fisheries of Simsang river, Meghalaya, India. J. Marine Sci. Res. Dev., 6: 214. doi: 10.4172/2155-9910.1000214
- Talwar, P. K. and Jhingran, A. G. (1991) Inland Fishes of India and Adjacent Countries. Vols. 1 & 2. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi.
Abstract Views: 6
PDF Views: 0