Antimicrobial and Computational Assessment of Christella dentata Crude Extracts Against Multidrug Resistant Bacterial Cultures and Targets
There has been an abrupt increase in the emergence of antibiotic resistant bacteria and related infections throughout the globe. There is a dire need to explore novel botanicals with the purpose of identifying potential antibacterial compounds effective against such drug resistant bacteria. This study focuses on the screening of crude ethanolic extracts of an edible fern, Christella dentata. The biochemical tests and antibacterial efficacy assay against cultures of E. coli, Salmonella, Pseudomonas, Bacillus and Lactobacillus indicate the potency of the crude extracts. The study was further extended by text and literature-based identification of active principles from the plant under study. The identified compounds were then tested for their druggabilities and docked against reported targets of multidrug resistant (MDR) strains of E. coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus. Results indicate that some of these active compounds can be explored as potential leads for inhibiting the protein targets and preventing the spread of these MDR strains.
- Britto, J. D., Gracelin, H. S. and Kumar, P. B. 2012. Phytochemical studies on five medicinal ferns collected from Southern Western Ghats, Tamil Nadu. Asian Pac. J. Trop. Biomed., 2: 536-538.
- Chandra, H., Bishnoi, P., Yadav, A., Patni, B., Mishra, A. P. and Nautiyal, A. R. 2017. Antimicrobial resistance and alternative resources with special emphasis on plant-based antimicrobials - a review. Plants (Basel), 6(2): 16.
- Cowan, M. M. 1999. Plant products as antimicrobial agents. Clin. Microbiol. Rev., 12(4): 564-582.
- Dalleau, S., Cateau, E., Berges, T., Berjeaud, J. M. and Imbert, C. 2008. In vitro activity of terpenes against Candida biofilms. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents, 31(6): 572-576.
- Darwish, R. M. and Aburjai, T. A. 2010. Effect of ethnomedicinal plants used in folklore medicine in Jordan as antibiotic resistant inhibitors on Escherichia coli. BMC Complement. Altern. Med., 10: 9-16.
- Dorman, H. J. D. and Deans, S. G. 2000. Antimicrobial agents from plants: antibacterial activity of plant volatile oils. J. Appl. Microbiol., 88(2): 308-316.
- Duhovny, D., Inbar, Y., Nussinov, R. and Wolfson, H. 2005. PatchDock and SymmDock: servers for rigid and symmetric docking. Nucleic Acids Res., 33: 363-367.
- Fisgin, N. T., Cayci, Y. T., Coban, A. Y., Ozatli, D., Tanyel, E., Durupinar, B. and Tulek, N. 2009. Antimicrobial activity of plant extract Ankaferd Blood Stopper®. Fitoterapia, 80(1): 48-50.
- Ganguli, S., Datta, A. and Gangopadhyay, A. 2011. Inhibiting h5n1 haemagglutinin with small molecule ligands. Int. J. of Bioi. Res., 3(1): 185-189.
- Ghosh, S. R., Ghosh, B., Biswas, A. and Ghosh, R. K. 2004. The Pteridophytic Flora of Eastern India. Flora of India Series 4. Botanical Survey of India, 1: 54-59.
- Gibbons, S. 2004. Anti-staphylococcal plant natural products. Nat. Prod. Res., 21(2): 263-277.
- Jeong, M-R., Kim, H-Y. and Cha, J-D. 2009. Antimicrobial activity of methanol extract from Ficus carica leaves against oral bacteria. J. Bacteriol. Virol., 39(2): 97-102.
- Khan, M. S. A. and Ahmad, I. 2012. Biofilm inhibition by Cymbopogon citratus and Syzygium aromaticum essential oils in the strains of Candida albicans. J. Ethnopharmacol., 140(2): 416-423.
- Kumar, A. and Kaushik, P. 2011. Antibacterial activity of Christella dentata Forsk. Study in different seasons. J. Chem. Pharm. Res., 3(6): 153-158.
- Levy, S. B. 2002. The Antibiotic Paradox: How the Misuse of Antibiotics Destroys Their Curative Powers. Cambridge, MA: Perseus Publishing.
- Lipinski, C. A., Lombardo, F., Dominy, B. W. and Feeney, P. J. 2001. Experimental and computational approaches to estimate solubility and permeability in drug discovery and development settings. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev., 46(1-3): 3-26.
- Newman, D. J., Cragg, G. M. and Snader, K. M., 2000. The influence of natural products upon drug discovery. Nat. Prod. Rep., 17(3): 215-234.
- Nostro, A., Roccaro, A.S., Bisignano, G., Marino, A., Cannatelli, M. A., Pizzimenti, F. C., Cioni, P. L., Procopio, F. and Blanco, A. R., 2007. Effects of oregano, carvacrol and thymol on Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilms. J. Med. Microbiol., 56(4): 519-523.
- Olayinka, A. A., Anthony, J. A. and Anthony, O. I. 2009. Synergistic interaction of Helichrysum pedunculatum leaf extracts with antibiotics against wound infection associated bacteria. Biol. Res., 42(3): 327-338.
- Prescott, H. and Klein, J. O. 2002. Microbiology, 6th ed. Macgraw Hill Publishers, USA, pp., 808-823.
- Rekha, K. 2017. Preliminary Phytochemical Analysis and Antioxidant Property of the fern, Christella dentata (Forssk.) Brownsey & Jermy. WJPLS., 3(1): 146-150.
- Salma, A., Sherbeni, EI, Tarek, F and Moselhy, EI. 2017. Computational evaluation of the druggability and biological activity of Iodo-1,4-dihydropyridine derivatives. Chemistry Research Journal, 2(5): 131-141
- Santos, M. G., Kelecom, A., Paiva, S. R., Moraes, M. G., Rocha, L. and Garrett, R. 2010. Phytochemical studies in pteridophytes growing in Brazil: a review. Americas J. Plant. Sci. Biotech., 4: 113-125.
- Sarkar, A., Kumar, K. A., Dutta, N. K., Chakraborty, P. and Dastidar, S. G. 2003. Evaluation of in vitro and in vivo antibacterial activity of dobutamine hydrochloride. Indian J. Med. Microbiol., 21(3): 172-178.
- Sharma, L. and Kumar, A. 2006. Antimicrobial activity of Ageratum conyzoides Linn. a plant with extra-medicinal value. Asian J. Exp. Sci., 20: 41-46.
- Stavri, M., Piddock, L. J. V. and Gibbons, S. 2007. Bacterial efflux pump inhibitors from natural sources. J Antimicrob Chemother., 59(6): 1247-1260.
- Usha, P. T. A, Jose, S. and Nisha, A. R. 2010. Antimicrobial drug resistance –A global concern. Vet. World, 3(3): 138-139.
- Vaghasiya, Y., Nair, R. and Chanda, S. 2008. Antibacterial and preliminary phytochemical and physico-chemical analysis of Eucalyptus citriodora Hk leaf. Nat. Prod. Res., 22(9): 754-762.
- Wallace, A. C., Laskowski, R. A. and Thornton, J. M. 1995. LIGPLOT: a program to generate schematic diagrams of protein-ligand interactions. Protein Eng., 8(2): 127-134.
- World Health Organization. 2014. Antimicrobial resistance: global report on surveillance, 1: 35-40.
- Yoon, J.I., Bajpai, V.K., Kang, S.C. 2011. Synergistic effect of nisin and cone essential oil of Metasequoia glyptostroboides Miki ex Hu against Listeria monocytogenes in milk samples. Food Chem. Toxicol., 49(1): 109-114.
Abstract Views: 4
PDF Views: 0