Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Study of Uric Acid and Lipid Profile in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Cases in Western Coastal Region of Vasai–Virar City Municipal Corporation, District-Palghar, Maharashtra, India
A population in the Western Coastal Region of Vasai-Virar City Municipal Corporation (VVCMC), Maharashtra, India, abounds with non- vegetarians. This study was conducted to analyze if non- vegetarian diet has the same effect on lipid profile and uric acid (UA) levels of T2DM patients of this locality as reported in internationally published data. Lipid profiles, blood sugar levels and UA in the normal controls were within the normal range. In the T2DM patients the values of cholesterol, HDL, LDL and UA were in normal range whereas the blood sugar and serum triglyceride levels were found to be elevated. The uric acid levels were lower in T2DM patients as compared to normal controls though it was in the normal range. The serum triglyceride levels were found to be on the higher side in T2DM as compared to normal controls.
Blood Glucose, Serum Uric Acid, Type 2 DM, Western Coastal Region.
- Barroso I, Luan J, Middelberg RPS, Harding AH, Franks PW, Jakes RW et al. Candidate gene associated study in type 2 diabetes indicates a role for genes involved in β-cell function as well as insulin action. Plos Biol. 2003; 1(1):41-55. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.0000020 PMid:14551916 PMCid:PMC212698
- Herman JB, Medalie JH, Goldbourt U. Diabetes, perdiabetes and uricaemia. Diabetologia. 1976; 12(1):47-52. https:// doi.org/10.1007/BF01221964 PMid:1254115
- Caroline K, Denise V, Simerjot K, Elizabeth B. The serum uric acid levels improve the prediction of the incident type 2diabetes in individuals with impaired fasting glucose levels. The Rancho Bernardo Study. Diabetes Care. 2009; 32(7):1272-73. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-0275 PMid:19366963 PMCid:PMC2699705
- Dehghan A, van Hoek M, Sijbrands EJ, Hofman A, Witteman JC. High serum uric acid as a novel risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2008; 31:361-62. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc07-1276 PMid:17977935
- Cappuccio FP, Strazzullo P, Farinaro E, Trevisan M. Uric acid metabolism and tubular sodium handling. Results from a population-based study. JAMA. 1993; 270:35459. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.270.3.354 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1993.03510030078038 PMid:8315780
- Bonora E, Targher G, Zenere MB, Saggiani F, Caccia-tori V, Tosi F, et al. Relationship of uric acid concentration to cardiovascular risk factors in young men. Role of obesity and central fat distribution. The Verona Young Men Atherosclerosis Risk Factors Study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1996; 20:975-80.
- Agamah ES, Srinivasan SR, Webber LS, Berenson GS. Serum uric acid and its relation to cardiovascular disease risk factors in children and young adults from a biracial community: the Bogalusa Heart Study. J Lab Clin Med. 1991; 118:241-49.
- King H, Aubert RE, Herman WH. The global burden of diabetes (1995-2025), and its prevalence, numerical estimates and projection. Diabetes Care, 1998; 21(9):1414-31. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.21.9.1414 PMid:9727886
- Fall CH. The non-industrialized countries and affluence. Br Med Bull. 2001; 60:33-50. https://doi.org/10.1093/ bmb/60.1.33 PMid:11809617
- Melmed S, Polonsky KS, Larson PR, Kronenberg HM. William’s Textbook of Endocrinology (12th ed.).
- Philadelphia: Elsevier/Saunders. p. 1371-1435.
- Agrawal Y, Goyal V, Chugh K, Shanker V, Singh AA. Types of dyslipidemia in type 2 diabetic patients of Haryana region. Scholars J Appl Med Sci. 2014; 2(4D):1385-92
- Miller M. The epidemiology of triglyceride as a coronary artery disease risk factor. Clin Cardiol. 1999; 22(6 Suppl.): II 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/clc.4960221402 PMid:10376190 PMCid:PMC6655581
- Schaefer EJ, Lamon-Fava S, Cohn SD, Schaefer MM, Ordovas JM, Castelli WP, Wilson PW. Effects of age, gender, and menopausal status on plasma low density lipoprotein cholesterol and apolipoprotein B levels in the Framingham Offspring Study. J Lipid Res. 1994; 35(5):779-92.
- Li Z, McNamara JR, Fruchart JC, Luc G, Bard JM, Ordovas JM, Wilson PW, Schaefer EJ. Effects of gender and menopausal status on plasma lipoprotein subspecies and particle sizes. J Lipid Res. 1996; 37(9):1886-96.
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 1