Open Access Subscription Access
Outcome Based Assessment of Engineering Programs for Achieving the Quality Assurance – A Case Study
In the dynamic world knowledge without skills is worthless. In earlier times the education program focused on imparting knowledge alone. But presently along with knowledge transfer, skills should be developed in graduates to meet the demands of technical profession and emerging job markets across the world. As a result the engineering education system was transformed from input - output model to outcome based education model. ABET, NBA, ENQA, and AAAC etc were some of the accreditation agencies established to monitor and implement quality in professional education. This paper outlined the procedure for the assessment and attainment of outcomes defined by National Board of Accreditation (NBA), the accreditation body of India. A case study of attainment of program outcome (PO) and program specific outcome (PSO) process was discussed for tier II under graduate engineering program in the country. A comparison of PO & PSO attainments among different programs in an institute was also presented in the paper. From the study it had seen that only few courses in an engineering program contributed in accomplishing professional competencies defined by NBA. Also, various engineering programs exhibited medium level of correlation with program outcomes and program specific outcomes.
Competence, Course Outcome, Program Articulation Matrix, Program Outcome, Program Specific Outcome.
- Bhagyalakshmi, H.R., Seshachalam, D.& Lalitha, S., (2015). Program Outcome Attainment Through Course Outcomes: A Comprehensive Approach. In Proceedings of the international conference on transformations in engineering education Springer, New Delhi. pp. 279-87.
- Kavitha, A., James, K.I.A., Harish, K.A. and Rajamani, V., (2018.) A Empirical Study On COPO Assessment & Attainment For NBA TIER-II Engineering Accreditation Towards Empowering The Students Through Outcome Based Education. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 118(20), pp. 2615-2624.
- Lawrence, S., & Suresh, E. S. M. (2012). The need for integration of disaster management into engineering curriculum. International Journal of Modern Engineering Research, November- December, 2(6), 4524-4526.
- Mahesh, T.Y. &Shunmuganathan, D.K., (2015.) Measurement of Program Outcomes Attainment for Engineering Graduates by using Neural Networks. International Journal in Engineering and Technology (IJET), 5(2), pp. 2319-1058.
- Masni-Azian, A., Rahimah, A.H. & Othman, M.S., (2014.) Towards OBE: A case study of course outcome (CO) and programme outcome (PO) attainment for product design and development course. IOSR Journal of Research & Method in Education, 4(2), pp. 55-61.
- Rajak, A., Shrivastava, A. K., Bhardwaj, S., & Tripathi, A. K. (2019), Assessment and attainment of program educational objectives for post graduate courses International Journal of Modern Education & Computer Science, 2, pp. 26-32.
- Rajak, A., Shrivastava, A.K. & Shrivastava, D.P., (2018,) Automating Outcome Based Education for the Attainment of Course and Program Outcomes Fifth HCT Information Technology Trends (ITT) IEEE, pp. 373-76.
- Suresh, E.S.M. & Beena, B.R., (2019), Developing professional competence of faculty and students of civil engineering to meet the global standards,. Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association (CEEA).
- NBA manual https://www.nbaind.org/files/NBA_UGEngg_Tier_II_Manual.pdf.
Abstract Views: 70
PDF Views: 42