Open Access Subscription Access
Integrated Learning Experience Through Activity Based Learning in UG Course
Academic institutions worldwide focused on providing a platform for students' integrated learning experience to enhance their skills and increase employability. School of Mechanical Engineering is making continuous efforts to provide integrated learning experiences for UG program students by designing Integrated Learning experience by activity based learning approach. This work aims to provide integrated knowledge of courses such a s manufacturing Technology and Metrology, which are part of the curriculum. The course Manufacturing Technology and Metrology and Quality engineering are considered for this work. These courses' knowledge plays a vital role in students' professional lives when employed in manufacturing industries. This initiative's main objectives are to provide an integrated learning experience, i.e., integration of manufacturing and measurement process, which are essential stages of product development. An Activity is given to the students to compare and analyze the process capabilities of traditional and advanced machine tools such as conventional Lathe and Computer Numerical Control (CNC). One batch of students used a conventional lathe machine, and the other batch used the CNC lathe machine. The students manufactured the part and collected the data (dimensions) about the part, analyzed the data through MINI-TAB software, and finally concluded about traditional and advanced machines' capabilities to manufacture parts according to specification. Through this, the students can establish integrated knowledge between the Manufacturing Technology and Metrology and Quality Engineering courses they have learned in isolation. These courses spread across different semesters. The performance indicators (PIs) of the graduate attribute (GA) of ABET program outcome '4' were underlying the motivators while designing the activity.
Integrated Learning, Activity Based Learning, Manufacturing Process, Metrology, UG Program.
- IP Wai Hung An integrated problem-based learning model for engineering education International journal of engineering education 2003 vol 19 No5. Pp734-737.
- U. Mudenagudi et al., “Proceedings of the International Conference on Transformations in Engineering Education,” Proc. Int. Conf. Transform. Eng. Educ., pp. 359–367, 2015, doi: 10.1007/978-81-322-1931-6.
- Savage, R., Chen, K. & Vanasupa, L. (2008). Integrating Project-based Learning throughout the Undergraduate Engineering Curriculum. Journal of STEM Education, 8(3),. Laboratory for Innovative Technology in Engineering Education (LITEE). Retrieved November 29, 2020 from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/173698/.
- M. Vijayalakshmi, M. S. Patil, A. S. Nayak, V. S. Handur, and G. S. Hanchinamani, “Enhancing students learning skills through integrated course project design model (ICPDM),” Proc. IEEE 18th Int. Conf. Adv. Learn. Technol. ICALT 20 1 8, pp. 30–33, 2018, doi : 10.1109/ICALT.2018.00014.
- U. Patil, S. V. Budihal, S. V. Siddamal, and U. K. Mudenagudi, “Activity Based Teaching Learning: An Experience,” J. Eng. Educ. Transform., vol. 0, no. 0, 2016, doi : 10.16920/jeet/2016/v0i0/85433.
- Boyles RA (1994). Process capability with symmetric tolerances. Commun. Statistics Simul. Comput. 23(3): 615-643.
- Ramakrishnan B, Sandborn P, Pecht M. (2001). Process capability indices and product reliability. Microelectronics Reliability 41, 2067–2070.
- Kane,VE. Process capability indices. Journal of Quality Technology 18 (1986), 41–52.
- Minitab Inc. (2011) Minitab User Manual Version 16, Quality Plaza, 1829 Pine Hall Road, State College, PA 16801-3008, USA.
- Jan wrenn Enhancing Learning by integrating theory and practice International journal of teaching and learning in higher education vol21 2009 pp258-865 ISSN1812-9129
- P. Cawley, The introduction of a problem-based option into a conventional engineering degree course, Studies in Higher Education, 14 (1989), pp. 83-95.
- J. H. Sandholtz, C. Ringstaff and D. C. Dwyer, Teaching with Technology: Creating Student Centered Classrooms, Teachers College Press, New York (1997).
- D. J. Boud, Problem-Based Learning in Education for the Professions, Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australia, Sydney (1985).
- N.Vijayakumar Experiential Learning in Metrology and Quality Engineering Course Journal of Engineering Education Transformations, Volume 29 , No.1, July 2015, ISSN 2349-2473, eISSN 2394-1707
- N.Vijayakumar Attainment of higher level of blooms taxonomy through open ended activity in metrology & quality engineering lab Journal of Engineering Education Transformations, Special Issue, eISSN 2394-1707
- Jangali, Satish G., and Vinayak N. Gaitonde. Attaining competencies in Programme Outcomes through Open-Ended Experiments. Africa Education Review 17, no. 1 (2020): 116-140.
Abstract Views: 2
PDF Views: 0