Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Weld Bead Profile of Duplex Stainless Steel Bead on E350 Low Alloy Steel Plate Done by Fcaw Using 100% C02 as Shielding Gas
Weld bead geometry plays significant role in quality of weld joint or clad layer or overlays. Heat input implies great impact in formation of weld bead. Weld bead geometry comprises components such as bead width, reinforcement height and penetration depth and some shape factors such as PSF (penetration shape factor) and RFF (reinforcement form factor). In present experiment, weld beads were produced on E350 low alloy steel with flux-cored E2209 T01 duplex stainless steel by gas metal arc welding using 100% C02 as shielding gas. Process parameters such as welding current and welding voltage were varying in nine times, keeping electrode holder speed constant so that nine different heat input have been generated those created nine weld bead samples. Visual inspection suggests continuous bead with moderate spatter. Macro structure results revealed that at increased heat input weld bead width and reinforcement height increased. On the other hand depth of penetration did not response with increase in heat input appreciably. On the whole, heat input influences weld bead profile parameters to a great extent. Within the experimental domain, large heat input increases weld bead width and height, but cannot change weld bead penetration significantly.
Weld Bead Geometry, Flux Cored Arc Welding, Heat Input, Regression Analysis.
- Saha, M.K. and Das, S., Areviewon different cladding techniques employed to resist corrosion, Journal of The Association of Engineers, India, Vol.56, No.1&2, pp.51-64, 2016.
- Saha, M.K. and Das, S., Gas metal arc welding and its anti-corrosive performancea brief review, Athens J. Techno. Engg. Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 154-174, 2018.
- Kolahan, F. and Heidari, M., Modeling and optimization of MAG welding for gas pipelines using regression analysis and simulated annealing algorithm, Journal of scientific and industrial research, Vol. 69, No. 4, pp. 177-183, 2010.
- Sreeraj, P., Kannan, T. and Maji, S., Simulation and parameter optimization of GMAW process using neural networks and particle swarm optimization algorithm. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering & Robotics Research, Vol. 2, pp. 130-146, 2013.
- Campbell, S., Galloway, A. and McPherson, N., Artificial neural network prediction of weld geometry performed using GMAW with alternating shielding gases, Welding Journal, Vol. 91, No. 6, pp. 174S-181S, 2012. ISSN 0043-2296
- Nagesh, D.S. and Datta, G.L., Genetic algorithm for optimization of welding variables for height to width ratio and application of ANN for prediction of bead geometry for TIG welding process, Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 10, pp. 897-907, 2010.
- Sreeraj, P. and Kannan, T., Modelling and prediction of stainless steel clad bead geometry deposited by GMAW using regression and artificial neural network models, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 2012, pp. 1-12, 2012.
- Kannan, T. and Yoganandh, J., Effect of process parameters on clad bead geometry and its shape relationships of stainless steel claddings deposited by GMAW, International Journal for Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 47, pp. 1083-1095, 2010.
- Sharma, A., Verma, D.K. and Arora, N., A scheme of comprehensive assessment of weld bead geometry, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 82, No. 9-12, pp. 1507-1515, 2016. D0l10.1007/s00170-015-7452-0
- Senthilkumar, B., Kannan, T. and Madesh, R., Optimization of flux-cored arc welding process parameters by using genetic algorithm, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 93, No. 1-4, pp. 35-41, 2016. DOI 10.1007/s00170015-7636-7
- Sreeraj, P., Kannan, T. and Maji, S., Optimization of process parameters of stainless steel clad bead geometry deposited by GMAW using integrated SA-GA,International Journal of Research in Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 26-52, 2013.
- Rodrigues, L.O., Paiva, A.P and Costa, S.C., Optimization of the FCAW process by weld bead geometry analysis, Welding International, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 261-269, 2009. DOI 10.1080/09507110802543468
- Frei, J., Alexandrov, B.T. and Rethmeier, M., Low heat input gas metal arc welding for dissimilar metal weld overlays part II: the transition zone, Welding in the World, Vol. 62, No. 2, pp. 317-324, 2018.
- Kah, P., Mvola, B., Suoranta, R. and Martikainen, J., Modified GMAW processes: control of heat input, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp.710-718, 2013. DOI 10.1166/asl.2013.4802
- Shen, S., Oguocha, I.N.A. and Yannacopoulos, S., Effect of heat input on weld bead geometry of submerged arc welded ASTM A709 Grade 50 steel joints, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 212, No. 1, pp. 286-294, 2012. DOI: 10.1016/ j.jmatprotec.2011.09.013
- Nasir, N.S.M., Razab, M.K.A.A., Ahmad, M.l. and Mamat, S., Influence of heat input on carbon steel microstructure, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 8, pp. 2689-2697, 2017.
- Saidov, R.M., Atabaev, I.G., Akhadov, J.Z., Kornilova, D.R., Kusch, M., Mayr, P., Hoefer, K. and Huang, Y., Features of weld bead geometry of stainless steels during pulsed A-MIG welding, Comp. Nanotechnol., Vol. 3, pp. 45-51, 2017.
- Mondal, A., Saha, M.K., Hazra, R. and Das, S., Influence of heat input on weld bead geometry using duplex stainless steel wire electrode on low alloy steel specimens, Cogent Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 1-14, 2016. DOI: 10.1080/23311916.2016.1143598
- Saha, M.K., Dhara, L.N. and Das, S., Variation of bead geometry of 316 austenitic stainless steel weld with varying heat input using metal active gas welding, Proceedings to National Conference on Leveraging Simulation & Optimization Techniques for Productivity Enhancement and Manufacturing Excellence, at SNTI, Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India, 2018.
- Saha, M.K., Hazra, R., Mondal, A. and Das, S., Effect of heat input on geometry of austenite stainless steel weld bead on low alloy steel, Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India): Series C, Vol. 100, No. 4, pp. 607-615,2019. DOI: 10.1007/s40032018-0461-7
Abstract Views: 59
PDF Views: 2