Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Corner Flow on Convective Heat Transfer in Inclined Cavity
The effect of corner flow is investigated in an inclined square cavity numerically. Both clear domain and porous substance are considered in the cavity. The study is conducted under distributed heating and cooling arrangement applied on the four walls. This numerical study is carried out on a ventilated cavity providing entry and exit at diagonally opposite corners. On fluid dynamics, effects of various flow parameters like Richardson number (Ri = 0.1-20), Reynolds number (Re = 10-200), cavity inclination angle (γ = 0-180°), Darcy number (Da = 10-4-10-7) and porosity (ε = 0.3-1.0) are analyzed systematically. Streamlines, isotherms and average Nusselt number are utilized for exploring heat transfer of the cavity.
Mixed Convection, Inclined Cavity, Corner Flow, Heat Transfer Characteristics.
- Raji, A. and Hasnaoui, M., Mixed convection heat transfer in a rectangular cavity ventilated and heated from the side, Numer. Heat Transfer A, Vol. 33(5), pp. 533-548, 1998.
- Singh, S. and Sharif, M., Mixed convective cooling of a rectangular cavity with inlet and exit openings on differentially heated side walls, Numerical Heat Transfer A, Vol. 44(3), pp. 233-253, 2003.
- Rahman, M.M., Alim, M., Mamun, M., Chowdhury, M. and Islam, A., Numerical study of opposing mixed convection in a vented enclosure, J. Eng. Appl. Sci., Vol. 2(2), pp. 25-36, 2007.
- Hinojosa, J.F. and Gortari, J.C., Numerical simulation of steady-state and transient natural convection in an isothermal open cubic cavity, Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 46(6), pp. 595-606, 2010.
- Rodriguez, M.N.A., Hinojosa, P.J.F. and Kohlhof, K., Numerical study of heat transfer by free and forced convection in a ventilated cavity, Sustain. Energy Build, Vol. 7, pp. 91-99,2011.
- Papanicolaou, E. and Jaluria, Y., Mixed convection from simulated electronic components at varying relative positions in a cavity, ASME J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 116, pp. 960-970, 1994.
- Omri, A. and Nasrallah, S.B., Control volume finite element numerical simulation of mixed convection in an air-cooled cavity, Numerical Heat Transfer A, Vol. 36, pp. 615-637, 1999.
- Leong, J.C., Brown, N.M. and Lai, F.C., Mixed convection from an open cavity in a horizontal channel, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 32, pp. 583-592, 2005.
- Angirasa, D., Mixed convection in a vented enclosure with an isothermal vertical surface, Fluid Dynamics Research, Vol. 26, pp. 219-223, 2000.
- Aswatha, C.J., Gowdha, G., Sridhara, S.N. and Seetharamu, K.N., Buoyancy driven heat transfer in cavities subjected to thermal boundary conditions at bottom wall, J. Applied Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 5, No.2, pp. 43-53, 2012.
- Datta, P., Mahapatra, P.S., Ghosh, K., Manna, N.K. and Sen, S., Heat transfer and entropy generation in a porous square enclosure in presence of an adiabatic block, Transp. Porous Media, Vol. 111, pp. 305-329, 2016.
- Biswas, N., Mahapatra, PS. and Manna, N.K., Merit of non-uniform over uniform heating in a porous cavity, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 78, pp. 135-144, 2016.
- Biswas, N., Mahapatra, P.S. and Manna, N.K., Enhanced convective heat transfer in lid-driven porous cavity with aspiration, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 114, pp. 430-452 2017.
- Biswas, N., Mahapatra, P.S. and Manna, N.K., Thermal management of heating element in a ventilated enclosure, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 66, pp. 84-92, 2015.
- Biswas, N., Mahapatra, P.S. and Manna,, N.K., Mixed convection heat transfer in a grooved channel with injection, Numer. Heat Transfer A, Vol. 68, pp. 663-685, 2015.
- Mondal, M.K., Biswas, N. and Manna, N.K., MHD convection in a partially driven cavity with corner heating, SN Applied Sci. Vol. 1, 1689, 2019.
Abstract Views: 5
PDF Views: 1