Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Finite Element Analysis of Buckling of Simply Supported Composite Plate for Different Orientation Angles
Buckling is the loss of stability of structure due to geometric effect leading to the failure if the resulting deformations are not restrained. Composite structures are stronger and expensive as compared to the conventional materials. This paper studied the behaviour of the simply supported composite plate under axial compressive load for different orientation angle to obtain the best orientation angle of the fibres at which critical buckling load becomes maximum. The effect of number of plies on the critical buckling load is also studied. The buckling analysis is carried out for Graphite/Epoxy and Glass/Epoxy composite and their hybrid combinations and is compared with respect to weight, cost and critical buckling load. The analysis is also extended for sandwich composite plate and is compared with metal sandwich plate. The buckling analysis is carried out by using finite element software ANSYS 15 and is validated with the existing literature and mathematical model built up by using Classical lamination theory.
Critical Buckling Load, Fibre Orientation Angle, Hybrid, Sandwich.
- Raji, A. and Hasnaoui, M., Mixed convection heat transfer in a rectangular cavity ventilated and heated from the side, Numer. Heat Transfer A, Vol. 33(5), pp. 533-548, 1998.
- Singh, S. and Sharif, M., Mixed convective cooling of a rectangular cavity with inlet and exit openings on differentially heated side walls, Numerical Heat Transfer A, Vol. 44(3), pp. 233-253, 2003.
- Rahman, M.M., Alim, M., Mamun, M., Chowdhury, M. and Islam, A., Numerical study of opposing mixed convection in a vented enclosure, J. Eng. Appl. Sci., Vol. 2(2), pp. 25-36, 2007.
- Hinojosa, J.F. and Gortari, J.C., Numerical simulation of steady-state and transient natural convection in an isothermal open cubic cavity, Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 46(6), pp. 595-606, 2010.
- Rodriguez, M.N.A., Hinojosa, P.J.F. and Kohlhof, K., Numerical study of heat transfer by free and forced convection in a ventilated cavity, Sustain. Energy Build, Vol. 7, pp. 91-99,2011.
- Papanicolaou, E. and Jaluria, Y., Mixed convection from simulated electronic components at varying relative positions in a cavity, ASME J. Heat Transfer, Vol. 116, pp. 960-970, 1994.
- Omri, A. and Nasrallah, S.B., Control volume finite element numerical simulation of mixed convection in an air-cooled cavity, Numerical Heat Transfer A, Vol. 36, pp. 615-637, 1999.
- Leong, J.C., Brown, N.M. and Lai, F.C., Mixed convection from an open cavity in a horizontal channel, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 32, pp. 583-592, 2005.
- Angirasa, D., Mixed convection in a vented enclosure with an isothermal vertical surface, Fluid Dynamics Research, Vol. 26, pp. 219-223, 2000.
- Aswatha, C.J., Gowdha, G., Sridhara, S.N. and Seetharamu, K.N., Buoyancy driven heat transfer in cavities subjected to thermal boundary conditions at bottom wall, J. Applied Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 5, No.2, pp. 43-53, 2012.
- Datta, P., Mahapatra, P.S., Ghosh, K., Manna, N.K. and Sen, S., Heat transfer and entropy generation in a porous square enclosure in presence of an adiabatic block, Transp. Porous Media, Vol. 111, pp. 305-329, 2016.
- Biswas, N., Mahapatra, PS. and Manna, N.K., Merit of non-uniform over uniform heating in a porous cavity, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 78, pp. 135-144, 2016.
- Biswas, N., Mahapatra, P.S. and Manna, N.K., Enhanced convective heat transfer in lid-driven porous cavity with aspiration, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 114, pp. 430-452 2017.
- Biswas, N., Mahapatra, P.S. and Manna, N.K., Thermal management of heating element in a ventilated enclosure, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 66, pp. 84-92, 2015.
- Biswas, N., Mahapatra, P.S. and Manna,, N.K., Mixed convection heat transfer in a grooved channel with injection, Numer. Heat Transfer A, Vol. 68, pp. 663-685, 2015.
- Mondal, M.K., Biswas, N. and Manna, N.K., MHD convection in a partially driven cavity with corner heating, SN Applied Sci. Vol. 1, 1689, 2019.
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 1