Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A CFD Analysis of the Air Flow Around a Grinding Wheel
The rotation of a disc causes the flow of air around it. The aim of this study is to examine the flow around a rotating grinding wheel with computational fluid dynamics (CFD). The CFD analysis is carried out by COMSOL 5.0 multiphysics software to generate the laminar flow model. The flow model establishes the characteristics of the flow field. The airflow visualisation showed a good agreement with the experimental results. The study identified the CFD model to be suitable to understand the flow behaviour.
Grinding Wheel, Air Flow Field, Computational Fluid Dynamics.
- Malkin, S., Grinding Technology: Theory and Application of Machining with Abrasive, Ellis Harwood Publication, USA, 1990.
- Malkin, S. and Guo, C., Thermal analysis of grinding, CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 56, pp. 760-782, 2007.
- Guo, C. and Malkin, S., Analysis of fluid flow through the grinding zone, Journal of Engineering for Industry Vol. 114, pp.427-434, 1992.
- Morgan, M.N., Jackson, A.R., Wu, H., Baines-Jones, V., Batako, A. and Rowe, W.B., Optimisation of fluid application in grinding, CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 57, pp.363-366, 2008.
- Majumdar, S., Kumar, S., Chakraborty, S. and Roy, D., Effective application of scraper board in grinding, Tribology International, Vol. 116, pp.120-128, 2017.
- Mandal, B., Majumdar, S., Das, S. and Banerjee, S., Formation of a significantly less stiff air-layer around a grinding wheel pasted with rexine leather, International Journal of Precision Technology, Vol. 2, pp.12-20, 2011.
- Baumgart, C., Radziwill, J.J., Kuster, F. and Wegener, K., A study of the interaction between coolant jet nozzle flow and the air flow around a grinding wheel in cylindrical grinding, Procedia CIRP, Vol. 58, pp.517-522, 2017.
- Wu, H., Lin, B., Cai, R. and Morgan, M.N., Measurement of the air boundary layer on the periphery of a rotating grinding wheel using LDA, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 76, pp.1-6, 2007.
- Alenius, S. and Johansson, J., Air flows and particle distribution around a rotating grinding wheel, Aerosol Science and Technology, Vol. 25, pp. 121-133,1996.
- Majumdar, S., Banerjee, A., Das, S., Chakroborty, S. and Roy, D., Effect of porosity of alumina wheel in improving grinding performance, Journal on Advancement in Engineering and Science, Vol.2, pp.113-116, 2016.
- Majumdar, S., Banerjee, A., Das, S. and Chakroborty, S., Experimental investigation and modelling on air layer formation around a rotating grinding wheel, Cogent Engineering, Vol. 3, pp.1-18, 2016.
- Catai, R.E., Bianchi, E.C., Zilio, F.M., Valarelli, I.D.D., Alves, M.C.S., Silva, L.R. and Aguiar, PR., Global analysis of aerodynamics deflectors efficiency in the grinding process, Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, Vol. 28, pp.140-145, 2006.
- Fox, R.W., McDonald, A.T., Pritchard, P.J.T., McDonald, A. and Pritchard, P.J., Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, Vol. 7, Wiley India Pvt Ltd, India, 1985.
Abstract Views: 8
PDF Views: 1