Open Access Subscription Access
Ignition Characteristics of Solid Cone Fuel Spray of a High Speed Diesel Engine
An experimental study of the ignition characteristic of solid cone fuel spray for a high speed diesel engine for diesel fuel at various injection pressure (100 bar, 200 bar and 300 bar) is carried out to get the effect of injection pressure on ignition delay and duration of burning. The ignition delay of diesel fuel spray was measured by recording the time delay between the event of ignition and the event of appearance of flame inside the combustion chamber by using digital storage oscilloscope. For this purpose an experimental set up was developed with the emphasis on optical method for detecting flame. The measurement of ignition delay was taken at various cylinder pressures (20, 30 and 40 bar) for different surface temperature (623K, 673K and 723K). Main objective of this project was to study the parameter of emission and their control. The result presented here shows that, ignition delay and duration of burning of diesel fuel decreases with increase with injection pressure and also with increases in hot surfaces temperature and also with increases in cylinder pressure.
Duration of Burning, Ignition Delay, Injection Pressure, Surface Temperature.
- A. Khalid, T. Yatsufusa, T. Miyamoto, J. Kawakami and Y. Kidoguchi, "Analysis of relation between mixture formation during ignition delay period and burning process in diesel combustion", SAE paper 2009-32-0018, (2009) 1-10.
- A. Khalid and K. Yoshiyuki, The University of Tokushima, Japan "Analysis of Diesel combustion using a rapid compression machine and optical visualization technique"
- T. Ryan and S. Shahed, "Injection pressure and intake air density effects on ignition and combustion in a 4-valve diesel engine", SAE Technical paper 941919, (1994).
- Amir Khalid and B. Manshoor, "Effect of high injection pressure on mixture formation, burning process and combustion characteristics in diesel combustion", World Academy of Science, Engineering and technology, 71, (2012).
- J.B. Heywood, "internal combustion engine", McGraw-Hill International.
- P.K. Sahoo and L.M. Das, "Combustion analysis of jatropha, karanja and polanga based biodiesel as fuel in a diesel engine".
- R. Kumar, Y. Sekhar and S. Adinarayana, "Effects of Compression Ratio and EGR on performance, Combustion and Emissions of DI injection Diesel Engine", International Journal of Applied Science and Engineering.
- J. Benajes, S. Molina, J.M. Garcia and R. Novella, "Influence of Boost Pressure and Injection Pressure on Combustion Process and Exhaust Emissions in a HD diesel engine", SAE paper, 2004-01-1842, (2004).
- Jay K. Pandya, Pravin P. Rathod, Arvind S. Sorathiya and Ramesh Patel, "Effect of Compression ratio and injection pressure on the performance and Emission of C.I. Engine with multiple injection technique", Government Engineering College Bhuj-370001.
- M.L. Mathur and R.P. Sharma, "Internal Combustion Engine", Nineteenth Reprint, (2009).
- V. Ganesan, "Internal combustion Engines", 4th Edition, (2012).
Abstract Views: 42
PDF Views: 9