Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Importance of Silkworm and its Wastes to Enhance Socio-Economic Status in India
Mulberry sericulture always been recognized only for commercial production of silk from silkworm. Its quiet true also that at present this sericulture industry is looked as an important source by countries such as China and India to generate global currencies. But several resources regarding mulberry sericulture are still utilized properly. The sericulture waste can be emanated into three kinds i.e., first is beds refuse after silkworm rearing, second mulberry twigs, surplus leaves along with fruits, third waste from coccon reeling such as pupae. Also silkworm excreta and different by products can offer diverse utility either by direct or indirect way in agriculture and rural cottage industries. Hence helping to generate note worthy economic for the sericulture farmers.
Sericulture, Silkworm, Wastes, Socio-Economic, Status.
- Anonymous (1996). By products for better revenue. Indian Silk, 35 : 3.
- Babu, G.R. (1994).Drugs from silkworms and their faeces too. Sci. Rep., 31: 51.
- Bharathi, D. (2018).The utilization of sericulture waste for the improvement of socio-economic welfare in India. Internat. J. Sci. & Res., 8(2): 372-377.
- Bhuroo, Z. I., Bhat, M.A., Kamili, A.S., Ganai, N.A., Bali, G.K., Khan, I.L. and Aziz, A. (2018).Trends in development and utilization of sericulture resources for diversification and value addition. J. Entomol. & Zoology Studies, 6(4): 601-615.
- Dandin, S.B. and Kumar, S.N. (1995).Bio-medical uses of silk and its derivatives. Indian Silk, 8 : 15-17.
- Datta, R.K. (1994).Silk worms to produce human vaccine. Indian Silk, 33 : 33-35.
- Deewangan, S.K. (2017).Employment generation and socio-economic change through sericulture in Rajgarh District, Chattisgarh, India.Ann. Natural Sci., 3(2): 32-42.
- Ghonmode, S.V. (2020).Application of sericulture waste by the farmers to ameliorate crop yield. Our Heritage, 68(1): 91-95.
- Gui, Z. and Zhuang, D. (2000).Study on the silkworm powder and its physiological functions. China Sericulture, 2 : 53-54.
- Hara, T., Tarui, H., Kawaguchi, H., Yoshimura, N. and Kawarabata, T. (1995).Effect of silkworm hemolymph on Escherichia coli -galactosidase expression in insect cell lines infected with a recombinant baculovirus. J. Seric. Sci. Jpn., 64, 477-481.
- Imai, K., Sugiura, K., Komiya, T. and Yamashita, O. (1996). Isolation and partial structure of a unique lipophilic peptide, VAP peptide from the heads of male silkworm moths. Bioscience Biotech Biochemistry, 60 : 355-357.
- Inouye, K., Kurokawa, M., Nishikawa, S. and Tsukada, M. (1998).Use of Bombyx morisilk fibroin as a substratum for cultivation of animal cells. J. Biochemical & Biophysical Methods, 37(3):159-164.
- Jalba, H.C. (2016).Scenario of sericulture industry in Maharashtra state, India. J. Entomol. & Zoology Studies, 4 (1) : 601-605.
- Kato, T., Kajikawa, M., Maenaka, K. and Park, E.Y. (2010). Silkworm expression system as a platform technology in life science. Appl. Microbiol. & Biotechnol., 85 : 459-470.
- Kim, E.J. and Park, T.H. (1999).Reduction of FBS concentration through adaptation process in mammalian cell culture and addition of silkworm haemolymph in insect cell culture. J. Microbiol. & Biotechnol., 9 : 227-229.
- Koul, S., Dhar, A. and Bindroo, B.B. (1994).Industrial utilization of sericultural resources in china. Pop Sci., 3: 29-34.
- Longvah, T., Mangthya, K. and Ramulu, P. (2011).Nutirent composition and protein quality evaluation of eri silkworm (Samia ricinii) prepaque and pupae. Food Chemistry, 128 (2) : 400-403.
- Majhi, S.K., Singha, U.S.P. and Thangavelu, K. (1991).Use of by products of non mulberry sericulture and silk industry. Indian Silk, 30(7): 13-14.
- Majumder, S.K. (1997).Scope for new commercial products from sericulture. Indian Silk,35: 13-18.
- Matsumoto, S., Ozawa, R., Uchiumi, K. and Kurihara, M. (1996). Cell free production of the silkworm sex pheromone Bombykol. Biosci Biotech Biochem., 60: 369-373.
- Narang, M.P. and Lal, R. (1985).Evaluation of some agro industrial wastes in the feed of jersy calves. Protien News, 3: 2-2.
- Panthee, S., Paudel, A., Hamamoto, H. and Sekimizu, K. (2017). Advantages of the silkworm as an animal model for developing novel antimicrobial agents. Frontier Microbiol., 8 : 373.
- Patil, B.R, Singh, K.K., Pawar, S.E., Moarse, L. and Otte, J. (2009).Sericulture: An alternative source of income to enhance the livelihood of small scale farmers and tribals communities. Pro poor Livestock policy Initiative A Living from livestock Research Report: 1-26.
- Qian, J. (1997).The chemical constitution and utilization of silkworm pupae. Sci. Technol. & Food Industry, 5: 42-43.
- Rajasekaran, P. (1986).Biogas production potential of sericulture waste. Rural Technology J., 3: 21-27.
- Raju, S. (1996).Utilization of sericultural by-products . A Chinese example. Indian Silk, 35: 19-20.
- Ramakanth and Raman, K.V.A. (1997).Cocoon pelade for better health. Indian Silk, 35: 35.
- Rathore, M. S. and Srinivasula, Y. (2018). Vermicomposting bed types for recycling of sericultural waste. Internat. Res. J. Engg. & Technol. (IRJET), 5: 1484-1488.
- Reddy Manohar, R. (2008).Value addition span of silkworm cocoon –Time for utility optimization. Internat. J. Indust. Entomol., 17 (1): 109-113.
- Reddy, R.N., Banuprakash, K.G., Shankarappa, T.H. and Mallesha, B.C. (2018).Utility of different silkworm (Bombyx moriL.) residues for cultivation of button mushroom. Internat. J. Curr. Microbiol. & Appl. Sci., 7(4): 473-479.
- Seiichi, H. and Minoru, Y. (1995).Moricin a novel type of antibacterial peptide isolated from silkworm, Bombyx mori. J. Biological Chemistry, 270(50): 29923-29927.
- Sheikh, I.U., Banday, M.T., Baba, I.A., Adil, S., Shahista, S.N., Bushra Zaffer and Bulbul, K.H. (2018).Utilization of silkworm pupae meal as an alternative source of protein in the diet of livestock and poultry: A review. J. Entomol. & Zool. Studies, 6(4): 1010-1016.
- Siddappaji, D., Latha, C.M., Ashoka, S.R. and Basava raja, M.G. (2014).Socio-Economic development through sericulture in Karnataka. IOSR J. Humanities & Social Sci. (IOSR_JHSS), 19(10): 24-26.
- Singhal, B.K., Dhara, Tripathy, P.M., Gadry, S.M., Bindroo, B.B. and Ashan, M.M. (2001). Medicinal utilities of mulberry and non-mulberry food plants of silkworm. Recent progress in medicinal plants research periodicals and book publishing house, Texas, USA.
- Singh, K.P. and Jayasomu, R.S. (2002). Bombyx mori- A review of its potential as a medicinal insect. Pharmaceutical Biol., 40(1) : 28-32.
- Soumya, M., Reddy Harinatha, A., Nageshwari, G. and Venkatappa, B. (2017).Silkworm (Bombyx mori) and its constituents :A Fascinating insect in science and Research. J. Entomol. & Zoology Studies, 5(5) : 1701-1705.
- Trivedy, K., Kumar, S.N., Mondal, M., Kumar and Bhat, C.A. (2008).Protien banding pattern and major amino acid component in de-oiled pupal powder of silkworm Bombyx mori Linn.J. Entomol., 5: 10-16.
- Vathsala, T.V. (1997).Creativity in cocoon crafts. Indian Silk, 36: 17-22.
- Velayudhan, K., Balachandran, N., Sinha, R.K. and Kamble, K.C. (2008).Utility of silkworm pupae-A new dimension as food and medicine. Indian Silk, 47(1): 11-18.
- Vishakanta (2018).Socio-Economic status of sericulture farmers of Ramanagaram district of Karnataka. Internat. J. Res. Econ. & Soc. Sci.,8(4): 472-482.
- Wani, M. Younus, Mir, M.R., Baqual, M.F., Ganie, N.A., Bhat, Z.A. and Ganie, Qayoom A. (2017).Roles of mulberry tree. The Pharma Innovation J., 6(9): 143-147.
- Xia, B., Li, z. and Ding, Y. (1989).Properties of ultraviolet spectrum of domestic silkworm chorionins. Canye Kexue,15: 45-48.
- Xia, W. and Zhao, D. (2003).The chrysalis of silkworm synthesizes to develop the present condition and technique. J. Shaanxi Normal University (Natural Science Edition), 31: 265-269.
Abstract Views: 31
PDF Views: 0