Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Persistence Toxicity and Field Evaluation of Spinetoram 12 SC against Spodoptera litura Fabricius on Okra
Spodoptera litura (Fabricius) is a destructive defoliating polyphagous pest on various crops throughout India especially in vegetable crops. Experiments were undertaken to investigate the persistence of spinetoram 12 SC against larval stage of S. litura in the laboratory and to evaluate the effectiveness in the field in two seasons. The results of persistence toxicity revealed that there was continuous larval reduction upto 14 DAT under the laboratory condition in different doses of biological green insecticide spinetoram (36, 45 and 54 g a.i/ha). This reinforces the need to reapply spinetoram 10 – 14 days after the first application (peak of biological activity) for effective control. The order of relative efficacy (ORE) of the insecticides based on the persistent toxicity index (PTI) values was spinetoram 12 SC 54 g a.i./ha > spinetoram 12 SC 45 g a.i./ha > cypermethrin 25 EC 50 g a.i/ha > emamectin benzoate 5 SG 8.5 g a.i/ha > spinetoram 12 SC 36 g a.i./ha > quinalphos 25 EC 200 g a.i/ha. In field experiments spinetoram 12 SC was significantly effective at 45 and 54 g a.i./ha when sprayed thrice at 15 days interval and minimized the incidence of Spodoptera litura.
Spinetoram 12 SC, Okra, Persistence Toxicity, Field Efficacy, Spodoptera litura.
- Abbott, W.S. (1925).A method of computing the effectiveness of an insecticide. J. Econ. Entomol., 18 : 265-267.
- Anonymous (2009). Indian horticulture database NHB. Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India, 154-61.
- Anonymous (2011). Annual Report: Asian Vegetable Research and Development Center (AVRDC), Shanhua, Taiwan, 741 ROC.
- Anonymous (2012). All India Coordinated Cotton Improvement Project, Annual Report, 2011-12.
- Brévault, T., Oumarou, Y., Achaleke, J., Vaissayre, M. and Nibouche, S. (2009).Initial activity and persistence of insecticides for the control of bollworms (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in cotton crops. Crop Protec., 28(5): 401–406.
- Britto, A.J. (1980).Juvenomimetic and antifeedant properties of some plant extracts on Spodoptera litura (Fab.) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). M. Sc (Ag.) Thesis. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. 59p.
- Cook, D.R., Leonard, B.R. and Gore, J. (2004).Field and laboratory performance of novel insecticides against armyworms (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Florida Entomologist., 87(4): 433-439.
- Dakshina Seal, R., David Schuster, J. and Klassen, W. (2007). Comparative effectiveness of new insecticides in controlling armyworms (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) and leafminers (Diptera: Agromyzidae) on tomato. Proceedings of Florida State Horticultural Society, 120: 170-177.
- Dharne, P.K. and Bagde, A.S. (2011).Bio efficacy of novel insecticide, spinetoram 12 SC (11.7 w/w) against thrips, Scirtothrips dorsalis Hood and fruit borer, Helicoverpa armigeraHb. in chilli. Pestology,35(3): 23-26.
- Duncan, D.B. (1951).A significance test for differences between ranked treatment means in an analysis of variance. Virginia J. Sci.,2: 171-189.
- Elbarky, N.M., Hassan, F.D. and El-Sayed, Y.A. (2008).
- Toxicological evaluation and biochemical impacts for Radient Ò as a new generation of spinosyn on Spodoptera littoralis (Boisd.) larvae. Egyptian Acad. J. Biol. Sci., 1(2): 85-97.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. (1984). Statistical procedures for Agricultural Research. A Wiley International Science Publication, John Wiley and Sons, New Delhi. 680p.
- Halcomb, J.L., Benedict, J.H. and Correa, J.C. (1998).A field study to evaluate the efficacy of selected insecticides against beetworm on transgenic cotton. In: “Arthropod Management Tests”, Entomol. Soc. Amer. Lanham, MD. p 229-230.
- Henderson, C.F. and Tilton, E.W. (1955).Test with acaricides against the brown wheat mite. J. Econ. Entomol.,48: 157-161.
- Kumar, M.S., Krishnamoorthy, S.V., Chandra Sekaran, S. and Stanley, J. (2008).Baseline toxicity of emamectin benzoate and spinosad to Earias vittella in cotton. Ann. Pl. Protec. Sci.,16 : 66-69.
- Kumar, Sanjeev and Gill, C.K. (2010).Incidence of tomato leaf curl virus in relation to whitefly, Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) population in different insecticidal treatments on tomato crop. J. Ins. Sci.., 23(3): 327-331.
- Kuttalam, S., Vinothkumar, B., Kumaran, N. and Boomathi, N. (2008).Evaluation of bio efficacy of flubendiamide 480 SC against fruit borer Helicoverpa armigera in tomato. Pestology, 32(3): 13-16.
- Mandal, S.K., Sah, S.B. and Gupta, S.C. (2006).Screening of okra cultivars against Earias vittella. Ann. Pl. Protec. Sci.,14 : 471- 72.
- Mascarenhas, V.J., Leonard, B.R., Burris, E. and Graves, J.B. (1996).Beet armyworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) control on cotton in Lousiana. Florida Entomologist, 79(3): 336-343.
- Pradhan, S. (1967).Strategy of integrated pest control. Ind. J. Entomologist, 29(1): 105-122.
- Rath, L.K. and Mukherjee, S.K. (2009).Field evaluation of some biopesticides alone and in alternation with endosulfan against tomato fruit borer. J. Plant Protec. Environ., 6(2): 102-104.
- Saini, M.L. (1959).Bioassay of the persistence of spray residues on leaf surface of maize using just hatched larvae of Chilo zonellus(Swinhoe) as test insect. Assoc. IARI Thesis. Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi.
- Sarup, P., Singh, D.S., Amarpuri, S. and Lal, Rattan (1970). Persistent and relative residual toxicity of some important pesticides to the adults of sugarcane leaf-hopper, Pyrilla perpusillaWalker (Lophopidae: Homoptera). Indian J. Entomol., 32(3): 256-267.
- Shivalingaswamy, T.M., Kumar, A., Satpathy, S. and Rai, A.B. (2008).Efficacy of indoxacarb against tomato fruit borer, Helicoverpa armigeraHubner. Pestology, 32(8): 39-41.
- Sunilkumar, N.M., Shivanand, T.W., Kukanur, V.S., Sunil, K., Naveen, K. and Patil, B. (2012).Evaluation of spinetoram 12 SC against Spodoptera litura(Fab.) in soybean.Bioinfolet, 9(3): 378-381.
- Vinod Kumari and Singh, N.P. (2009). Spodoptera litura nuclear polyhedrosis virus (NPV-S) as a component in Integrated Pest Management (IPM) of Spodoptera litura(Fab.) on cabbage. J. Biopesticides, 2(1): 84-86.
- Visnupriya and Muthukrishnan (2017). Persistence toxicity and field evaluation of green insecticide Spinetoram 12 SC w/ v (11.7%w/w) against Helicoverpa armigera Hubner on okra. Internat. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci.,6 (11): 2547 – 2555.
- Visnupriya and Muthukrishnan (2019). Persistent toxicity of newer molecule spinetoram 12 SC W/V (11.7 W/W) against Helicoverpa armigera Hubner and Spodoptera litura Fabricius on tomato. J. Entomol. & Zool. Studies 2019; 7(2): 1025-1028.
Abstract Views: 31
PDF Views: 0