Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Species Diversity and Population Dynamics of Fruit Flies in Bitter Gourd Ecosystem
Studies related to species diversity and seasonal incidence of fruit flies in drumstick ecosystems were conducted at University of Horticultural Sciences (UHS), Udyanagiri, Bagalkot, India during Rabi 2015-16 and Kharif 2016. During Rabi 2015 Shannon Wiener index (H’) of diversity of the fruit fly population was maximum (H’=0.64) during 6th SMW of (February) 2016. The Pielou’s evenness (J’) value was maximum during 6th SMW of (February) 2016 and 52nd SMW of (December) 2015 (0.92 and 0.79, respectively). The maximum Simpson diversity index value (0.66) was recorded during 6th SMW of (February) 2016. During 2016 maximum H value (H’=0.61) was recorded during 38th followed by 36th SMW of (September) 2016 (0.79). The Pielou’s evenness (J’) ranged from 0.33 to 0.88. Maximum (J’) value was recorded during 38th SMW of (September) 2016 (0.88) and 36th SMW of (September) 2016 (0.79).
Bitter Gourd, Species Diversity, Population Dynamics, Bactrocera cucurbitae, Bactrocera Spp.
- Agarwal, M. L. and Kapoor, V. C. (1988). Four new species of fruit flies (Diptera : Tephritidae) together with re description of Trupanea inaequabilis Hering and their distribution in India. J. Entomol. Res., 12 (1): 117–128.
- Anjum, S., Rafaq, M. and Yazdani, S.S. (2000). Studies on seasonal activity and control of fruit flies (Dacus spp.) on mango (Mangifera indica L.) at Faisalabad, Pakistan. Arab J. Pl. Prot., 18 (1): 121-123.
- Banerji, R., Sahoo, S. K., Das, S. K. and Jha, S. (2005).Studies on incidence of melon fly, Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coquillet) in relation to weather parameters on bitter gourd in new alluvial zone of West Bengal. J. Entomol. Res., 29 (3): 179-182.
- Barma, P. and Jha, S. (2011). Biology, seasonal activity of fruit fly (Bactrocera cucurbitae Coq.) on pointed gourd (Trichosanthes dioica Roxb.) and weather relations. J. Pl. Prot. Sci., 3 (1): 48 – 53.
- Barma, P., Jha, S. and Banerjee, J. (2013). Prediction of population development of melon fruit fly (Bactrocera cucurbitae Coq.) on pointed gourd (Trichosanthes dioica Roxb.). Afr. J. Agric. Res., 8 (38): 4740-4747.
- Ganie, S.A., Khan, Z. H. and Padder, S. A. (2013). Identification and taxonomical studies of fruit flies on cucurbits in Kashmir valley. The Bioscan, 8 (1): 263-269.
- Hasyim, A., Muryati and Kogel, W.J. (2008). Population fluctuation of adult males of the fruit fly, Bactrocera tau Walker (Diptera : Tephritidae) in passion fruit orchards in relation to abiotic factors and sanitation. Indonesian J. Agric. Sci., 9: 29-33.
- Kakar, M. Q. F., Ullah, A. U., Saljoqi, R., Ahmad, S. and Ali, I. (2014). Determination of fruit flies (Diptera : Tephritidae) infestation in guava, peach and bitter gourd orchards in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa during 2010 and 2011. Sarhad J. Agric. 30 (2) : 241-246.
- Laskar, N. and Chatterjee, H. (2010). The effect of meterological factor on the population dynamics of melon fruit fly, Bactrocera cucurbiate (Coquillet) (Diptera : Tephritidae) in the foot hills of Himalaya. J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Manage., 14 (3): 53-58.
- Nair, N., Thangjam, B. C., Bhattacharjee, T. and Debnath, M. R. (2017). Species composition of Dacine fruit flies (Diptera : Tephritidae : Dacinae : Dacini) associated with Cucurbits in Tripura, a North Eastern state of India. J. Entomol. Zool. Stud., 3 : 330-335.
- Pielous, E.C. (1969). An introduction to mathematical ecology. Wiley, New York, NY, 286 pp.
- Prabhakar, C. S., Sood, P., Mehata, P. K. and Choudhary, A. (2009). Distribution and developmental biology of fruit flies infesting cucurbits in north- western Himalaya. J. Insect Sci. 22 (3) : 300-308.
- Shannon, L. E. and Wiener, W. (1949). The mathematical theory of communication. University of Illinois Press, Urban, p p.11.
- Simpson, E. J. (1949). Measurement of diversity. Nat., 163-688.
- Sunil, Tippaiah, M. and Jayaram, C.S. (2016). Seasonal incidence of fruit borers with special reference to melon fruit fly, Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coquillet) on bitter gourd (Momordica charantia L.), Int. J. Pure App. Biosci., 4(3): 87-92. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.18782/2320-7051.2313.
- Vargas, R. I., Stark, J. D. and Nishida, T. (1990). Population dynamics, habitat preference and seasonal distribution patterns of oriental fruit fly and melon fly (Diptera : Tephritidae) in an agricultural area. Environ. Entomol., 19 : 1820-1828.
- Vignesh, R. and Viraktamath, S. (2015). Population dynamics of melon fruit fly, Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coquillet) on cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). Karnataka J. Agric. Sci., 28 (4) : 528-530.
- Anonymous (2017). Indian Horticulture Database 2017, Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India, p. 296 http://nhb.gov.in/area-pro/database-2014.pdf. Accessed 28 March 2014.
Abstract Views: 36
PDF Views: 0