Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Assessment of Knowledge and Awareness of the Glycemic Index Concept in Singapore
The glycemic concept and the Glycemic Index (GI) are being used globally as a mark of product differentiation. The Australian market has been exposed to the GI concept for the longest time. The GI concept in Australia has gained impetus due to the continuous and concerted efforts of the GI Symbol Program that is backed by the University of Sydney, Diabetes Australia and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. The program provides a trusted signpost that the products have been tested properly for their GI. The consumers and health professionals are well informed about the concept and there are a wide range of low GI products with the GI symbol in supermarkets in Australia.
- Mitchell, H.L. The glycemic index concept in action. Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 2008, 87(suppl):244S– 6S.
- The GI Symbol Program. Internet: http://www.gisymbol.com (accessed 14 August, 2013).
- Cunningham, S., Kilara, A. and Merolli, A. Managing glycemic response. Nutraceuticals World. Internet: http://www.nutraceuticalsworld.com/articles/2006/07/managing-glycemicresponse. php (accessed 14 August, 2013)
- The Glycemic Index Foundation of South Africa. Internet:http://www.gifoundation.com (accessed 14 August, 2013)
- Tesco supermarket home page. Internet: http://www.tesco.com (accessed 15 August, 2013).
- Asda supermarket home page. Internet: http://www.asda.co.uk (accessed 15 August, 2013).
- Sainsburys supermarket home page. Internet:http://www.sainsburys.co.uk (accessed 15 August, 2013).
- Waitrose supermarket home page. Internet: http://www.waitrose.com (accessed 15 August, 2013).
- Aziz, A., Dumais, L. and Barber, J. Health Canada’s evaluation of the use of glycemic index claims on food labels. Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 2013, 98, 269-274.
- Guide study, 2012. Internet:http://www.foodnavigator-asia.com/Nutrition/Indian-diet-expertsdemand- GI-food-indicators (accessed 15 August, 2013).
- Glycemic Index Research Unit: http://www.tp.edu.sg/asc_home/asc_aboutus/ asc_aboutus_ce/asc_aboutus_ce_giru/asc_microsite_giru.htm (accessed 15 August, 2013).
- Statistics Singapore. Internet:www.singstat.gov.sg (accessed 15 August, 2012)
- Brand-Miller, J. The Glycemic Index as a Measure of Health and Nutritional Quality: An Australian Perspective. Cereal Foods World, 2007, 52, 41-44.
- FINEST Food Seminars and Workshops, 2013. Internet: http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/ programmes-article/11198 (accessed 15 August, 2013)
- National Healthy Lifestyle Campaign, 2012. Internet:http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/ eventdetail?id=HPB039606 (accessed 15 August, 2013)
- Healthier Choice Symbol Programme. Internet:http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/healtharticle/ 2780 (accessed 15 August, 2013).
- Usher, A. Mind your language. Diabetes Update Summer, 2007.
- Thomas, D.E., Elliott, E.J. and Baur, L. Low glycaemic index or low glycaemic load diets for overweight and obesity. Cochr. Database Syst. Rev., 2007, 18, CD005105.
- Ostman, E.M., Frid, A.H., Groop, L.C. and Björck, I.M.E. A dietary exchange of common bread for tailored bread of low glycaemicindex and rich in dietary fibre improved insulin economy in young women with impaired glucose tolerance. Europ. J. Clin. Nutr., 2006, 60, 334–341.
- Brand-Miller, J., Hayne, S., Petocz, P. and Colagiuri, S. Lowglycemic index diets in the management of diabetes: a metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials. Diab. Care., 2003, 26, 2261–2267.
- Kelly, S., Frost, G., Whittaker, V. and Summerbell, C. Low glycaemic index diets for coronary heart disease. Cochr. Database Syst. Rev., 2004, 18, CD004467.
- Jiménez-Cruz, A., Gutiérrez-González, A.N., Bacardi-Gascon, M. Low glycemic index lunch on satiety in overweight and obese people with type 2 diabetes. Nutr. Hospitalaria, 2005, 20, 34–50.
- Wu, C.L. and Williams, C. A low glycemic index meal before exercise improves endurance running capacity in men. Intern. J. Sport Nutr. Exer. Metab., 2006, 16, 510–527.
- Dyson, P. Glycaemic index: Is it useful for people with diabetes? J. Diab. Nursing, 2008,12, 168-176.
Abstract Views: 120
PDF Views: 0