Effect of Multigrain Supplement on Improving Haemoglobin Level among Anemic Pregnant Women of Below Poverty Line
Anemia during pregnancy is a global public health challenge facing the world today. It is one of the potentially lethal complications of pregnancy leading to large number of maternal and foetal losses but it is preventable and curable. The study was aimed to screen and identify the pregnant women of first trimester (10-12 weeks) who are having iron deficiency anemia and to evaluate the effectiveness of multigrain supplement (malt powder) among the pregnant women with iron deficiency anemia in improving the level of haemoglobin. This descriptive study was conducted among pregnant women of age group (18-30 years) residing in rural place Kanamadagu of Kudligi taluk. Sixety of them were randomly selected based on Haemoglobin (Hb) level <10 gm/dL and interviewed with help of self-structured questionnaire tool. Collected data was analyzed for descriptive and inferential statistics. The overall prevalence of anemia was found to be 99.5% and about three fourth of subjects were falling within the mild (10-11 gm/dL) category of anemia. Most significant raise in Hb level found to be in 4th week compared to intermediated weeks of malt consumption. Use of multigrain supplement was found to be the most effective way to overcome anemia i.e. from mild to normal range Hb level.
- Ashlybaby, Jeevanvenugopal, Renitalshantia Chacko, Veenusha. P.V., vinayakumar., et al., knowldege on management of anemia during pregnancy: A descriptive study. Arc. Med. Health Sci., 2014, 2, 2.
- Nilofer Khan and Roshina Bashir. Prevalence of Iron Deficiency Anaemia amongAdolescent Girls, München, GRIN Verlag, 2013.
- Aisling A. Geraghty, Karen L. Lindsay, Goiuri Alberdi, Fionnuala, M. McAuliffel and Eileen, R. Gibney Geraghty. Nutrition during pregnancy impacts offspring's epigenetic status evidence from human and animal studies. Nutr. Metabol. Insights., 2015, 8, 41-47. Doi:10.4137/NMI.S29527.
- Shaikh Sabina, Syed Iftequar, Zahid Zaheer, Mohd Mukhtar Khan and Sarfraz Khan. An overview of anemia in pregnancy. JIPBS., 2015, 2, 144-151.
- Vijay raghavan. Evaluation of national nutritional anemia prophylaxis program. The Ind. J. Pediat., 1990, 57,183-190.
- Maskey, M., Jha, N., Poudel, S.I. and Yadav, D. Anemia in pregnancy and its associated factors: A study from Eastern Nepal. Nepal J. Epidemiol., 2014, 4, 386-392. Published online by Nepal JOL-INASP.
- AnuRammohan, NiyiAwofeso. and Marie-Claire Robitaille, Addressing Female Iron-Deficiency Anaemia in India: Is Vegetarianism the Major Obstacle? International Scholarly Research Network ISRN Public Health 2012.
Abstract Views: 161
PDF Views: 0