Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Review on Regulatory Aspects of Food Contact Materials (FCM’S)
Since the advent of commercial production of Food Contact Materials (FCM) and their extensive use in day to day life, many harmful effects on health were reported to be caused due to ingestion of food contaminated with constituents that migrated from FCM. Over the years, this aspect of food safety from FCM rose to be an important research interest and thus added scientific information on FCM. Based on the scientific evidence and new issues being raised (E.g. BPA replaced by other substances), these regulations are also being molded from time to time across the world. Therefore this review aims at providing an overview of regulations and amendments on FCM in various countries with emphasis on important aspects (e.g. traceability and safeguard measures of EU framework regulations, Food contact notification of USFDA, etc.) in FCM laws. Hereunder, for a better understanding of these regulations, various countries reviewed in this article are grouped into 3 categories, i.e. – countries having 1) specific regulations 2) Non- specific/ few regulations 3) No data available on FCM regulations. Though these regulations differed from one country to other, all were formulated with a primary objective, of ensuring consumer food safety. This review will not only help in ensuring food safety but also helps in, to strengthen regulatory framework and grow in trade, fulfilling the gaps with global FCM regulations.
Food Contact Materials, Food Packaging, Indirect Food Additives, Regulations.
- Geueke, B., Wagner, C.C. and Munke, J. Food contact substances and chemicals of concern: a comparison of inventories. J. Fd. Add. Contam., Part A, 2014, 31, 1438-1450. https:// doi.org/10.1080/19440049.2014.931600
- Ahmed, R.G. Maternal bis-phenol alters fetal endocrine system: thyroid adipokine dysfunction. Fd. Chem. Toxicol., 2016, 95, 168-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.fct.2016.06.017
- Icoz, A. and Eker, B. Selection of food packaging material, migration and its effects on food quality, 1st International Conference on Quality of Life. 2016. Retrieved from http:// cqm.rs/2016/cd1/pdf/papers/focus_1/28.pdf
- Kurunthachalam, S.K. Possible adverse implications of chemical migration from food pack materials in India. Hydrol. Current. Res. 2013, 4, 156. doi:10.4172/2157-7587.1000156
- Muncke, J., Myers, J.P. and Scheringer, M. Food packaging and migration of food contact materials: will epidemiologists rise to the neotoxic challenge? J. Epidemiol. Comm. Health., 2014, 68, 592–594. doi:10.1136/jech-2013-202593
- Indian Institute of Packaging (2016, October). Study on the chemical contamination of prepackaged food (Retail) through packaging material, Revised project proposal (Amendment 2) Submitted to Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
- USFDA – Indirect Additives used in Food Contact Substances, Searchable database. Retrieved from https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fdcc/?set=IndirectAdditives.
- Francis, J. Wiley Encyclopedia of food science and technology, 2nd ed. 1999, 3. John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Jery D’Souza, Pradhan, J. Handbook of food processing, packaging and labeling, SBS Publishers and Distributors. 2010.
- Jung H. Innovations in food packaging, 2nd Edition, Academic Press. 2013.
- Kees van der Heijden et al., International Food Safety Handbook: Science, international regulation, and control. Marcel Dekker Inc., 1999, 273 – 286.
- Milan (2015). Guidelines to food contact materials in India Legislation for packaging and materials in contact with food- Indian Market. Foltran Luca SergioAdamo. 7 – 9.
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) - Bisphenol A – re-evaluation. (2017, December) Retrieved from http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/bisphenol.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India – FSS legislation, food safety and standards regulations. Retrieved from http://www.fssai.gov.in/home/fss-legislation/fssregulations.html.
- Lago, M.A. and Ackerman, L.K. Identification of print-related contaminants in food packaging. Fd. Addit. Contam. Part A. Chem. Anal. Cont. Expo. Risk Assess., 2016, 33, 518529. doi: 10.1080/19440049.2015.1136435.
- Crosby, N.T. Food packaging materials, aspects of analysis and migration of contaminants.
- London, Appl. Sci., 1981.
- Baughan, J. S. Global Legislation for Food Contact Materials, 1st Edition, Woodhead Publishing Series. 2015, 79 – 83.
- Rinus Rijk and Rob Veraart. Global legislation for food packaging materials. Wiley- VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. 2010.
- European commission – Food contact materials. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/ food/safety/chemical_safety/food_contact_materials_en.
- Karamfilova, E. and Sacher, M. Food contact materials – regulation (EC) 1935/2004. European Implementation Assessment study. 2016 Retrieved from http://www.europarl.europa.eu/ RegData/etudes/STUD/2016/581411/EPRS_STU(2016)581411_EN.pdf.
- Magnuson, B., Munro, I., Abbot, P., Baldwin, N., Lopez-Garcia, R., Ly, K. and Socolovsky, S. Review of the regulation and safety assessment of food substances in various countries and jurisdictions. Fd. Addit. Contam. Part A, Chem. Analy. Contl. Expo. Risk Assess., 2013, 30, 1147–1220. http://doi.org/10.1080/19440049.2013.795293
- Food contact Materials - Ministry of Environment and Food of Denmark, Danish Veterinary and Food Administration (DVFA). Retrieved from https://www.foedevarestyrelsen.dk/ english/Food/Food%20Contact%20Materials/Pages/default.aspx.
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2016/1416 of 24 August 2016, amending and correcting Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food. (2016, August 25). Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ TXT/?uri=uriserv%3AOJ.L_.2016.230.01.0022.01.ENG
- Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/752 of 28 April 2017, amending and correcting Regulation (EU) No 10/2011 on plastic materials and articles intended to come into contact with food. (2017, April 29) Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/ ?uri=CELEX:32017R0752ASEAN Center for Food Contact Materials Testing. Retrieved from http://foodcontact.dss.go.th/index.php/en/home.
- EU Science Hub- EURL for Food contact materials – Substance database. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/eurl/food-contact-materials/substance-database.
- China National Health and Family Planning Commission (NHFPC) – list of 53 mandatory national standards (GB Standards) for FCM, 2016. Retrieved from http://www.nhfpc.gov.cn/ sps/s7891/201611/06ed87a09dad4cf6aee48cd89efbef35.shtml .
- USFDA - Determining the regulatory status of components of a food contact material. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/PackagingFCS/ RegulatoryStatusFoodContactMaterial/default.htm.
- Japan – Ministry of Health Labor and Welfare – Food safety information. Retrieved from http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/food/index.html.
- ASEAN Center for food contact materials testing. Retrieved from http://foodcontact.dss.go.th/ index.php/en/home.
- Taiwan Food and Drug Administration – Laws and regulations. Retrieved from https:// www.fda.gov.tw/EN/lawContent.aspx?cid=16&id=1395.
- Thai Legislation (Thailand). Retrieved from http://foodcontact.dss.go.th/index.php/en/ legislation/thai-regislation.
- Bureau of Indian Standards. Retrieved from http://www.bis.org.in/standardsdata/
- Uganda National Bureau of Standards Retrieved from https://www.unbs.go.ug/ content.php?src=uganda-standards-catalogue&pg=content.
- Comments of EU relating to notification of India- Draft Food Safety and Standards (Packaging) regulations, 2017. (2018, January 5). Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/growth/ toolsdatabases/tbt/en/search/?tbtaction=search.detail& Country_ID=IND&num= 64&dspLang=en&basdatedeb=&basdatefin=&baspays=IND&basnotifnum= 64&basnotifnum2=& bastypepays=& baskeywords.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India – FSS legislation, WTO – SPS notifications.
- http://www.fssai.gov.in/home/fss-legislation/wto-notifications/wto-spsnotifications. html.
- Food Safety Authority of Ireland – Food Contact Materials - Legislation. Retrieved from https://www.fsai.ie/legislation/food_legislation/materials_articles/general.html#national.
- Agri- Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore – Legislation. Retrieved from https:// www.ava.gov.sg/legislation.
- Tanzania Food and Drugs Authority – Food control regulations. Retrieved from https:// www.tfda.go.tz/index/?q=food_downloads.
Abstract Views: 50
PDF Views: 1